Author Topic: Bye Bye DS & Wii wifi online play  (Read 2630 times)

scott

Re: Bye Bye DS & Wii wifi online play
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 05:31:34 pm »
There's been surprisingly a lot more complaints about this than I would have thought. People are acting like servers being shut down for an old console is completely unheard of.

Actually this is happening rather fast. PS2 can still connect to the network & Xbox had it's internet shutdown 2010, 5 years after Xbox 360's release.

I was under the impression that there are no remaining servers supporting PS2 games.  Are there any still going?

I know the Resident Evil Outbreak servers went down, sometime in 2007-2008.  The servers for SOCOM: US Navy SEALs shut down in 2012. I believe you can still connect to Final Fantasy XI on a PS2. But you can't access new content, since they never released expansions for anything after Wings of the Goddess (I think). Other than that I don't really know, because I've only ever mainly used my PS2 for local (usually single player) games.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

topspot123

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »
There's been surprisingly a lot more complaints about this than I would have thought. People are acting like servers being shut down for an old console is completely unheard of.

Actually this is happening rather fast. PS2 can still connect to the network & Xbox had it's internet shutdown 2010, 5 years after Xbox 360's release.

I was under the impression that there are no remaining servers supporting PS2 games.  Are there any still going?

I know the Resident Evil Outbreak servers went down, sometime in 2007-2008.  The servers for SOCOM: US Navy SEALs shut down in 2012. I believe you can still connect to Final Fantasy XI on a PS2. But you can't access new content, since they never released expansions for anything after Wings of the Goddess (I think). Other than that I don't really know, because I've only ever mainly used my PS2 for local (usually single player) games.

I can pretty much confirm that all PS2 games in my collection that had any online presence don't connect anymore.  The last time I successfully connected was Feb 2011 for Ratchet: Deadlocked, but none of the others would find a server.  Several months after that, Deadlocked was down as well.

spac316

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 11:15:40 pm »
It sucks, but they gotta move on.

Veilor

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 03:21:39 am »
I really don't understand. With this people are like "well, it's the course of consoles etc." but when Microsoft was to shut down Live for the original Xbox..man that was panic and hell on the internet, people freaked out, and that was as I mentioned 5 years after 360's release.

Also regarding the PS2 network, even if only one game works now, it still is active. I also believe PS2 network isn't any system like live was, just a connection directly to a developer's server.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 10:57:27 am »
I really don't understand. With this people are like "well, it's the course of consoles etc." but when Microsoft was to shut down Live for the original Xbox..man that was panic and hell on the internet, people freaked out, and that was as I mentioned 5 years after 360's release.

I thought that was kind of cool. A group of people played Halo 2 online for like 2 weeks straight to prevent shut-down until Microsoft just flipped off the lights anyways.

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 01:38:21 pm »
Seems silly to support backwards compatibility only to kill off online software a couple of years into it, a bit premature. Obviously a lot of people still play some of those DS and Wii games. More people own a DS and Wii than will ever own a 3DS or Wii U and they are content with the old, so I guess the business end dictates it. They want to push the new product by telling people if you want that kind of service, buy the new machines and the new software.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:41:39 pm by Warmsignal »