Author Topic: Goodwill prices.  (Read 5467 times)

Re: Goodwill prices.
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 08:57:30 pm »
Yeah two of the Goodwills around me are great for VHS, particularly one of them has so much Disney stuff, if you wanted to collect all of the Disney clamshells, you probably could in practically one go lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 08:58:34 pm »
My joy for my local Goodwill continues. See this post here to find out why:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1824.345.html

Man if you collect VHS you should come to Delaware.... my goodwill has TONs of VHS, let me know if there is something in particular you are on the look out for and I'll keep an eye out the next time I go. I picked up a copy of Starwars Episode 1 widescreen Special Edition there a few weeks back. Its complete with the film and art book. Now its just collecting dust. I dont even have a VHS player lol.

Thanks, but it wouldn't be worth the shipping. I pick up the VHSs because they're only $1 a piece.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 07:39:29 pm »
Another successful Goodwill run: 8)

They also had Robo Aleste for Sega CD, complete. But my Sega CD bit the dust a couple years ago. Still, I was tempted to pick it up just because I had been looking for that one for so long. Of course I come across it after my Sega CD stopped working.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 03:48:46 am »
Goodwill stores in Arizona have gotten ridiculous as well....  I have seen NES consoles with 100$ price tags on them....  To be honest here it is bad all around now....  Craigslist, Savers, Pawn Shops, you name it and they think they're some collectors second hand expert when it comes to gaming....  I have been working specifically with retro video game retail for 3 years now and the change in the industry has astonished me....  Even a large portion of customers walk in my door and call me out on my prices saying that they're either too low or too high....  I'll be honest and say that it bothers me when people treat me like I have no clue what I am doing and tell me their Intellivision in barely working condition with no box or manual is worth over 100$ and they get mad at me like I'm trying to rip them off....  It happens SO often now....  I blame the internet....  We'll never have consistent Goodwill good deals again....  :(

Warmsignal

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:21 am »
Goodwill sells games? YMMV. Here, people donate games only to Salvation Army, never to Goodwill.

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 10:56:35 am »
Goodwill stores in Arizona have gotten ridiculous as well....  I have seen NES consoles with 100$ price tags on them....  To be honest here it is bad all around now....  Craigslist, Savers, Pawn Shops, you name it and they think they're some collectors second hand expert when it comes to gaming....  I have been working specifically with retro video game retail for 3 years now and the change in the industry has astonished me....  Even a large portion of customers walk in my door and call me out on my prices saying that they're either too low or too high....  I'll be honest and say that it bothers me when people treat me like I have no clue what I am doing and tell me their Intellivision in barely working condition with no box or manual is worth over 100$ and they get mad at me like I'm trying to rip them off....  It happens SO often now....  I blame the internet....  We'll never have consistent Goodwill good deals again....  :(

A friend of mine who manages a local game store had a women with a bunch of really common NES games come in asking how much she could get in cash for them. From what I remember she had about 10 games with the most valuable one being Mario/Duck Hunt. My friend told her she had about $10 cash in games and she totally flipped out. She was so sure she was sitting on a fortune and seriously though the lot was worth thousands. She pretty much stormed out and told my friend that she was going to contact BBB and the news about how much they are trying to rip people off. Lol she was dead serious I guess.

But yes, the internet s heavily to blame, as are stupid fake reality shows like American Pickers, Pawn Stars and Storage Wars. The producers intentionally sensationalize what they find (almost all which is planted or staged in some way) and make people believe their box of worthless baseball cards is worth thousands, or their son's old Super Mario World is worth over $100. I contacted a guy about a yellowed, beat up NES he had on CL for $2000 to ask where the hell he pulled that price out of (we all know the real answer to that lol), and he seriously said Storage Wars. . . I nearly peed myself laughing :P

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25:44 am »
The only games I have seen in Goodwills around here, about 4 of em, are PC games.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 11:28:12 am »

A friend of mine who manages a local game store had a women with a bunch of really common NES games come in asking how much she could get in cash for them. From what I remember she had about 10 games with the most valuable one being Mario/Duck Hunt. My friend told her she had about $10 cash in games and she totally flipped out. She was so sure she was sitting on a fortune and seriously though the lot was worth thousands. She pretty much stormed out and told my friend that she was going to contact BBB and the news about how much they are trying to rip people off. Lol she was dead serious I guess.

But yes, the internet s heavily to blame, as are stupid fake reality shows like American Pickers, Pawn Stars and Storage Wars. The producers intentionally sensationalize what they find (almost all which is planted or staged in some way) and make people believe their box of worthless baseball cards is worth thousands, or their son's old Super Mario World is worth over $100. I contacted a guy about a yellowed, beat up NES he had on CL for $2000 to ask where the hell he pulled that price out of (we all know the real answer to that lol), and he seriously said Storage Wars. . . I nearly peed myself laughing :P

made me squirt coffee outta' my nostrils reading this, so = my "Post-o-the-Day"!   ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 11:46:59 am »

But yes, the internet s heavily to blame, as are stupid fake reality shows like American Pickers, Pawn Stars and Storage Wars.

Did you see the episode of storage wars with the NES. That guy thought he had the first NES because of the serialnumber nes 0001 or something like that which is on al NES machines  ;D.

And yes, in Europe we can also see those 'shows'.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:48:36 am by fazerco »

pacpix

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »

But yes, the internet s heavily to blame, as are stupid fake reality shows like American Pickers, Pawn Stars and Storage Wars.

Did you see the episode of storage wars with the NES. That guy thought he had the first NES because of the serialnumber nes 0001 or something like that which is on al NES machines  ;D.

NES-001!  That is the first Nintendo DS!!!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 05:00:14 pm »

Did you see the episode of storage wars with the NES. That guy thought he had the first NES because of the serialnumber nes 0001 or something like that which is on al NES machines  ;D .

Lol yep, and that was the Craigslist guy's source for legitimizing a $2000 NES that didn't even look like it worked lol.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2014, 03:06:57 am »

Well, can't say I've ever had someone threaten that....  Usually its just bad reviews on yelp or something....  I did have someone accuse me of being racist in one once....  I find that hilarious because my coworkers are black and mexican and we get along famously....

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 03:20:13 am »
What did that Storage Wars episode with the NES say it was valued at and what did it have? Kinda curious lol

As for something said earlier, I agree, the store isn't there just for us to get cheap stuff, nothing wrong with wanting to be a little selfish due to our collecting habits and wanting the best deals, but I think on principle the place is meant to be an affordable means of getting used items, so jacking up prices to the highest (and beyond) of current market values just seems kinda awful for what they are supposed to be.  Thankfully I haven't come across it yet, but I haven't been lucky to find anything older than Gamecube so far, but I'm not there every day either.

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 10:51:29 am »
What did that Storage Wars episode with the NES say it was valued at and what did it have? Kinda curious lol

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the bozo on Storage Wars said it was worth ten grand because it was the "rare" model 001. I guess he was basing this appraisal off of an ebay auction where an NES console sold for that much. What the show conveniently failed to mention is that this ebay listing had several games with it as well, including a stupid little game called Stadium Events. But yeah, no, THAT one of ten-million NES console is the reason the auction ended for 10g *rolls eyes*

argyle

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:35 am »

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the bozo on Storage Wars said it was worth ten grand because it was the "rare" model 001. I guess he was basing this appraisal off of an ebay auction where an NES console sold for that much. What the show conveniently failed to mention is that this ebay listing had several games with it as well, including a stupid little game called Stadium Events. But yeah, no, THAT one of ten-million NES console is the reason the auction ended for 10g *rolls eyes*

Well in the end the show does show him going to a used games place & the owner tells him the system is worth around $10 or so. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis