Author Topic: Are there any guides to submitting a covert art?  (Read 1744 times)

Warmsignal

Are there any guides to submitting a covert art?
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:21:53 pm »
I don't see a guide specifying where a hundred and one different things should check out before submitting like with other sites. I'm mostly wondering, is there a specific image size that is or isn't allowed? Can cover images taken from the Internet be submitted? Obviously no watermarks I'm sure, but does it matter the source?

Re: Are there any guides to submitting a covert art?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:39:59 pm »
See Style Guide
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html

JPG only. Wider than 200 pixels. No watermarks. If you have an image with watermarks there's a thread you can submit it to and someone can try to Photoshop it out if you are unable.
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1033.0.html

Generally you can take images from anywhere. Just make sure there's no unnecessary white boarders or watermarks around the image.
If you are submitting your own photo make sure the image is taken straight on with no glare. And be sure to crop the image to the dimensions of the case/cover/box/cart. We don't need to see your bedroom floor. :P When scanning or snapping pictures make sure the colors are true to the object. Indoor lighting has a tendency of making objects darker or more yellow then it should be.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:54:38 pm by badATchaos »

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:40:06 pm »
Also, and this is really, really important: Make sure you're using the correct cover art. A lot of people submit stuff with rating pending uh, ratings, or mockup covers, or even fake ones made by people who print out replacement artwork.

Please make sure the artwork matches your game 100%.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 08:33:02 pm »
I'm confused about the front and back cover I submitted for Worms Open Warfare 2 for the DS - http://vgcollect.com/item/134

The back art was approved but the front wasn't for some reason. These were both scans from my actual copy and in the case of the front art, I scanned a high-res image to replace an obvious low-res and blurry pic. Can't understand why the front was rejected and the back was approved, they were both scanned at the same resolution and size.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 08:36:50 pm »
I'm confused about the front and back cover I submitted for Worms Open Warfare 2 for the DS - http://vgcollect.com/item/134

The back art was approved but the front wasn't for some reason. These were both scans from my actual copy and in the case of the front art, I scanned a high-res image to replace an obvious low-res and blurry pic. Can't understand why the front was rejected and the back was approved, they were both scanned at the same resolution and size.

Huh?

Check the entry again. I saw your cover, approved it, and it's showing on the entry for me. And check the item history too:

03-06-2014    atarileaf    image_back    new
03-06-2014    atarileaf    image    new

My guess is your browser's cache is messing with you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:38:27 pm by foxhack »

pacpix

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:37:59 pm »

Huh?

Check the entry again. I saw your cover, approved it, and it's showing on the entry for me.
Same here, might be a cache issue.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:31:04 pm »
Yep that was it, thanks :)

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »
Hi everyone, I wasn't really sure where to post this but this felt like a good enough thread.

I became a member almost a year ago, started adding my collection, and then just stopped. For reasons unknown I started again this very evening but suddenly remembered why I stopped.

It's a real chore when most of my games have a swedish or scandinavian cover, meaning I have to add hundreds and hundreds of games myself. This is bearable though (and not a complaint). What makes things more difficult is my following inquiry:

Most of my games have swedish text on the back, or something else that makes them specifically swedish or scandinavian, but quite often we get EU-but-not-UK-edition, with a PEGI-stamp, and everything, cover and manual, is all english, and I'm fairly sure that exact edition goes out to many other european countries as well. Many of the EU-items on this forum have a specific UK-cover (BBFC-rating) on them (and more often than not, sadly no codes).

How am I to act when it comes to add items to the database in this case?

Example; Batman Arkham Asylum (EU): http://vgcollect.com/item/19176 with UK-cover.
The version I have, which MIGHT be specific to sweden/scandinavia, but is all english so I don't know, looks like this on the cover: http://img.tradera.com/medium/765/179878765_ef4ef4b9-bdc2-4e40-bd09-653a49d764e7.jpg

I would actually say that in many cases, BBFC-rating-covers are exklusive to Great Britain, whereas rest of Europe gets a PEGI-cover with everything in English, so if anything, most BBFC-cover-listings should say (UK box version) after the title and all english PEGI-releases would be the standardized EU-listing.

Obviously, this is horrible trying to figure out. What do I do?

(also, with the hope some mod reads this, I managed to send in an edit request for the EU-release of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3) before I saw that my edition had a tiny tiny "game in scandinavian languages" text on the back, so I submitted a new post for that particular edition instead. Thusly, my edit for the EU-post can just be discarded.

Thank you so much in advance!

matt

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »
Generally speaking we want a listing for each unique release. That means if you have a UK-like release that has some Swedish text, it'd have it's own listing. We have created major categories for most of the obvious regions and are adding more as they are needed/requested. For now unless other mods disagree, I think your game should be listed under EU but noted that it is a Swedish release.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:28:54 am »
Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for the reply! Thusly, I'll add (Swedish cover version) after the title unless I'm sure it's an UK-release, and if it so happens that my all-english swedish release is the same as in any other european country (I'll add item number and barcode on all my listings) then maybe there can be a discussion about changing the title of the post then.

Again, many thanks!