Author Topic: Counterfeit Games Being Sold  (Read 9348 times)

sin2beta

Counterfeit Games Being Sold
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:38:35 pm »
There has been a lot of talk of the 5-screw Little Samson appearing on eBay. It's currently at $260. It is a fake. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Samson-NINTENDO-PAT-PEND-MADE-IN-JAPAN-NINTENDO-NES-/141206371656?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item20e08e3d48

5-screws were not made after 87 or so. Do counterfeit games concern you when buying games? Would you buy high-end games?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:40:09 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

Re: Counterfeit Games Being Sold
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:45:28 pm »
It is becoming more and more popular unfortunately. Probably the worst case of counterfeit games are the Pokemon games. I actually see more fakes than real ones these days, specifically at several game stores that buy them in order to pull a fast one on their customers. I have reported all of them to Nintendo and other anti-piracy agencies. I know a guy locally who makes and sells a bunch of fake games as well. He is a total piece of shit and I have been trying to get him shut down. If any one wants to help me here is his Ebay page:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jd_pacey

At the moment he does not have any fakes up, but looking at his feedback you will notice countless bootleg games he has sold recently. The whole fake game market pisses me off. I just hate people who think they can profit off of other people's work.

sin2beta

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:49:26 pm »
It is becoming more and more popular unfortunately. Probably the worst case of counterfeit games are the Pokemon games. I actually see more fakes than real ones these days, specifically at several game stores that buy them in order to pull a fast one on their customers. I have reported all of them to Nintendo and other anti-piracy agencies. I know a guy locally who makes and sells a bunch of fake games as well. He is a total piece of shit and I have been trying to get him shut down. If any one wants to help me here is his Ebay page:

At the moment he does not have any fakes up, but looking at his feedback you will notice countless bootleg games he has sold recently. The whole fake game market pisses me off. I just hate people who think they can profit off of other people's work.

I've heard that on Pokemon. I've thought about picking these games up again. I really like them. But I might as well play them on an emulator if there is a decent chance of getting a fake.

Now, part of me thinks of it as just being a ROM anyway. But, I think most of my issue with it is due to the blatant deceitfulness.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:54:23 pm »

I've heard that on Pokemon. I've thought about picking these games up again. I really like them. But I might as well play them on an emulator if there is a decent chance of getting a fake.

Now, part of me thinks of it as just being a ROM anyway. But, I think most of my issue with it is due to the blatant deceitfulness.

I hate that part about it too.

There are actually some useful guides online for how to spot fake games, I am pretty good at spotting fake Pokemon GBA games. Though I have seen some more convincing ones recently, the biggest give away is the E in the ESBR rating. It is skinnier and more slanted then the official one.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03:14 pm »
I posted a few pictures last time this topic came up. now that I've got a legit copy of the game I have  a counterfeit of I might try to do a video detailing every little thing a counterfeit will have wrong.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:33:23 pm »

Very true about the Pokemon. I advertised that I buy video games on craigslist the guy contacted me about having Pokemon games. I was very skeptic and asked him lots of questions before I bought.. But! They turned out real and I was happy. People non stop Selling Pokemon's from China.

Another bootleg I see a lot is higher end Atari games like Halloween and Texas chainsaw and such. It sucks this happens but when a games worth 300 and such people get desprate
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:34:28 pm »
And now you know why I hate repro cart creators.

These people profit from clueless buyers.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:52 pm »
What do you look for when it comes to fake Pokemon games? I imagine it's something you come across with the popular and rare stuff, but are those noticeable things to look for?  I would think only the hardcore collectors would know the difference between a 3 screw and a 5 screw Little Samson.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:29:43 pm »
What do you look for when it comes to fake Pokemon games? I imagine it's something you come across with the popular and rare stuff, but are those noticeable things to look for?  I would think only the hardcore collectors would know the difference between a 3 screw and a 5 screw Little Samson.

Original Nintendo games have "Nintendo" written just above the cart contacts, at least in GBA games.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 02:42:45 am »
Oh man it's tough with the Neo Geo, simply because it's fairly easy an inexpensive to make a "conversion." When I buy pricier games I buy from other trustworthy collectors and make sure to get detailed pictures, and ask a lot of questions

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 02:43:36 am »
I don't mind buying repros as long as I know they are repros but not at idiot ebay prices.  Buying an original game and getting a repro in it's place makes for a very unhappy camper.

theflea

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 05:51:02 am »
Repro carts are fine if its a of a game that was never released in the USA and English translated, or taken from a Prototype that was never released. I love those, I own several myself. And buying them any idiot knows it's a reproduction.

If its a repro of say NWC90 it's fine if it looking nothing like the original. Like the one that RetroZone sells. (see pic)

The ones I hate with a passion are the carts like Little Samson, Stadium Events, Flintstones etc that are people trying to make a fast buck by fooling a buyer that it's an original.  It makes me second guess a game.  >:(

I remember ordering a repro of Pepsi Invaders, The guy even offered to send it with no label so it can look like the original.
I told him, NO. Its a repro, So I picked out a cool label for it. 

Here's a Pic of some of my NES repro carts. Most are Prototypes or English Translations that never got released in the states.
And the few that where, (NWC90 and the 3 Adult games) look nothing like the original. In fact I'd still would buy the original If I found them at a price I could afford.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 11:36:23 am »
As long as the seller doesn't try to pass it off as an original, or charge what others charge for the original, then I'm fine with reproductions. If there's one thing I don't care for, it's the perceived monetary value of an old game. I'm not a collector in any traditional sense of the word. So if repros were made to supplement some of the super inflated price carts, I wouldn't mind, again so long as they price them accordingly and say they are pepros.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 12:29:59 pm »
So if repros were made to supplement some of the super inflated price carts, I wouldn't mind, again so long as they price them accordingly and say they are pepros.
That'll never happen.  If someone wanted something other than the original they would just emulate.  Having a Samson or Flintstones is only for the collection sake.  I know it would be for me. 
That being said, I played the first level of Little Samson and stopped because I'm saving the experience for when I find the real cart.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:50:03 pm by turf »

soera

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 01:35:48 pm »
Im the extreme when it comes to a collector as I really dont care the origin of a game, as long as it works, Im good with that. The perceived value of games is just that ... perceived. I know its a weird stance considering my actual collection but I will always be a gamer first. I do not value Stadium events any more than I value World class track meet personally.

Its when the game doesnt work as it should that I tend to get upset with pirates/counterfeits/bootlegs/repros/etc.