Author Topic: Counterfeit Games Being Sold  (Read 9291 times)

thecrypticodor

Re: Counterfeit Games Being Sold
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 01:59:09 pm »
It's not just fake carts that people try and pass off. I got this bootleg Dreamcast off ebay about a year ago. When I confronted the seller actually swore to me that it wasn't a fake. Even though the disk is green and quite obviously a CD-R. It wasn't expensive but it really pissed me off because I could have easily just burned it myself but I wanted the real copy.  :(

foxhack

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »
Repro carts are fine if its a of a game that was never released in the USA and English translated, or taken from a Prototype that was never released. I love those, I own several myself. And buying them any idiot knows it's a reproduction.

If its a repro of say NWC90 it's fine if it looking nothing like the original. Like the one that RetroZone sells. (see pic)

The ones I hate with a passion are the carts like Little Samson, Stadium Events, Flintstones etc that are people trying to make a fast buck by fooling a buyer that it's an original.  It makes me second guess a game.  >:(

I remember ordering a repro of Pepsi Invaders, The guy even offered to send it with no label so it can look like the original.
I told him, NO. Its a repro, So I picked out a cool label for it. 

Here's a Pic of some of my NES repro carts. Most are Prototypes or English Translations that never got released in the states.
And the few that where, (NWC90 and the 3 Adult games) look nothing like the original. In fact I'd still would buy the original If I found them at a price I could afford.

You see that Kid Dracula cart? I didn't authorize anyone to create a repro cart that features my work, and I'm pretty sure Matt Scheurich (the graphic artist that created the logo for me all those years ago) didn't authorize anyone other than myself to use his artwork either.

It especially irks me because these stupid repro creators insist on using original company logos on the stickers. THE GAME IS A FAKE, DON'T TRY TO DISGUISE THAT FACT.

Argh.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 03:27:23 pm »
you're a scumbag if you try and pass a repo off as the real thing and sell it at inflated prices. i've seen it done a bunch with earthbound zero/mother and it really sucks.

with that said, id really like to be able to play kid dracula, sweet home, mr gimmick, cocoron, and crisis force so im not completely opposed to the idea of buying a repo just to be able to play games id otherwise never be able to (my computer is junk, and im not computer savy so emulators are kind of out of the question for me).

Warmsignal

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 03:34:27 pm »
The only time I was tricked was by a couple of counterfeit DS games on eBay back in 09. Just don't buy anything from China, or with only a stock photo. Most know this, but I was a newbie then. It would have been fine by me, except that the carts didn't play on my DSi, also the instruction manuals did not contain any instructions.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 03:36:52 pm »
i forgot to mention! years ago my ex-girlfriends mom bought me a copy of pokemon firered for the GBA and when i turned it on it was megaman battle network. i was confused and pretty upset. why would someone do this? its just such a disgusting act.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 06:07:09 pm »
i forgot to mention! years ago my ex-girlfriends mom bought me a copy of pokemon firered for the GBA and when i turned it on it was megaman battle network. i was confused and pretty upset. why would someone do this? its just such a disgusting act.

This actually happened on a copy of Blackthorne for the SNES I bought last fall. Popped it into my SNES, and the freakin music and startup menu for Donkey Kog Country came on; someone had switched the board out. While it was irritating I ended up being able to return the fake Blackthorne, and I also ended up finding a REAL Blackthorne about two months later for cheaper anyways :p.

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 06:09:16 pm »
Repro carts are fine if its a of a game that was never released in the USA and English translated, or taken from a Prototype that was never released. I love those, I own several myself. And buying them any idiot knows it's a reproduction.

If its a repro of say NWC90 it's fine if it looking nothing like the original. Like the one that RetroZone sells. (see pic)

The ones I hate with a passion are the carts like Little Samson, Stadium Events, Flintstones etc that are people trying to make a fast buck by fooling a buyer that it's an original.  It makes me second guess a game.  >:(

I remember ordering a repro of Pepsi Invaders, The guy even offered to send it with no label so it can look like the original.

Here's a Pic of some of my NES repro carts. Most are Prototypes or English Translations that never got released in the states.
And the few that where, (NWC90 and the 3 Adult games) look nothing like the original. In fact I'd still would buy the original If I found them at a price I could afford.

You see that Kid Dracula cart? I didn't authorize anyone to create a repro cart that features my work, and I'm pretty sure Matt Scheurich (the graphic artist that created the logo for me all those years ago) didn't authorize anyone other than myself to use his artwork either.

It especially irks me because these stupid repro creators insist on using original company logos on the stickers. THE GAME IS A FAKE, DON'T TRY TO DISGUISE THAT FACT.

Argh.

That's really cool! Didn't realize you were/are in the development business. What part did you have in the development of the game and what else have you done if you don't mind me asking?

foxhack

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 06:14:02 pm »
you're a scumbag if you try and pass a repo off as the real thing and sell it at inflated prices. i've seen it done a bunch with earthbound zero/mother and it really sucks.

with that said, id really like to be able to play kid dracula, sweet home, mr gimmick, cocoron, and crisis force so im not completely opposed to the idea of buying a repo just to be able to play games id otherwise never be able to (my computer is junk, and im not computer savy so emulators are kind of out of the question for me).

Then why not buy a flash cart?

I know they're expensive, but they're a helluva lot cheaper than buying multiple repros. :p

Argh.

That's really cool! Didn't realize you were/are in the development business. What part did you have in the development of the game and what else have you done if you don't mind me asking?

I used to translate games as a hobby. I'm no programmer, but I had the help of some very talented people (script translators and game reprogrammers), so I just coordinated the translation efforts and did most of the gruntwork (testing, editing, graphic modifications, etc.)

http://www.foxhack.net/trans/

I stopped because I got sick of people making these repro carts... and some dumbass wanted me to hack games for him. I told him to stick his money where the sun don't shine (in much harsher words.)

theflea

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 06:17:56 pm »

Argh.

If it makes you feel any better the cart was discontinued some time ago, It was only available for about a year. And if you could read those Nintendo seals you'd laugh. :P
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 07:22:06 pm »

Then why not buy a flash cart?

I know they're expensive, but they're a helluva lot cheaper than buying multiple repros. :p

i might actually have to look into that more now that you mention it...

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 04:09:37 am »
Man, don't get me started on the fake and repro debate....  I see them all the time at work and it drives me nuts....  I can't see how either can be good for collectors in ANY way....  Hell, even casual gamers are being hurt by them to be honest....  I had to tell a guy his US version of Terranigma was fake last week and boy was he heart broken....  So many scams on ebay....

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 11:47:22 am »
Well fuck I think I got ripped off a couple of years ago.
My sister and I used to play ps1 games when we were kids so I picked up a copy of Crash Bash (a game we played all the time) for like $35 and the bottom was silver and I didn't think of it until I looked at this thread and looked up how to tell if a game is fake.

karyann

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 08:01:49 pm »
A guy in my class has been talking recently of buying stuff to change the data on SNES chips... And he explicitly said he wanted to sell fake Sword of Manas and Mario RPG and Earthbounds for full price because that was easy money. That pissed me honestly, and I told him so. I tried to convince him that it's not an appropriate thing to do, and he said he might sell ROMS and imports instead. And I really hope he meant it, and will not sell fake by saying they're real.  >:(

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 06:19:32 pm »
A guy in my class has been talking recently of buying stuff to change the data on SNES chips... And he explicitly said he wanted to sell fake Sword of Manas and Mario RPG and Earthbounds for full price because that was easy money. That pissed me honestly, and I told him so. I tried to convince him that it's not an appropriate thing to do, and he said he might sell ROMS and imports instead. And I really hope he meant it, and will not sell fake by saying they're real.  >:(

My rage is with you!

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 07:02:20 pm »

There is a local collector/reseller who is an infamous scam artist when it comes to repros. He has sold thousands of fake GBA and DS games on Ebay over the past year, and doesn't tell anyone they are fake. I am surprised Ebay hasn't banned him seeing how he has at least a dozen negative feedback rating regarding his games being fake. Not to the same extent, but he also sells fake Genesis, NES and SNES carts as well; I know he was selling fake Ninja Gaiden Trilogy and Wild Guns carts for like $80 each. I hate people that do this crap, and feel sorry for the people they scam.