Author Topic: Which Doom is the first...  (Read 1635 times)

90snostalga

Which Doom is the first...
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:49:25 pm »
I want to get the first Doom sometime in the near future for PC, since now I've got a Windows 95 gaming pc, Windows 98 and a 98 SE gaming pc; however, looking on Ebay, I see so many different variations.  The Final Doom, Doom Shareware, what the heck is the actual first doom for Windows with all the levels that I should get?  I also want to have it nice on my shelf so was the first Doom for Windows a big box or just a jewel cd?   Additionally, should a 360 wired USB controller work fine as the playing controller?

Thanks for any help...

foxhack

Re: Which Doom is the first...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:19:56 am »
The Ultimate Doom. It's basically the original game with an extra episode (set of levels.) Final Doom is two extra episodes.

There's a set called Doom Collector's Edition that had that and Doom II and included the original Windows 95 engine to run the games. The set costs $10-$20 on eBay but you might be able to find a cheaper version if you look around Goodwills and the like.

... and if you want to use a 360 pad... then maybe this game isn't for you. You're better off using a keyboard and mouse. (Unless you want to go for the 360 / PS3 versions of the games.)

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:29:14 am »
I want to get the first Doom sometime in the near future for PC, since now I've got a Windows 95 gaming pc, Windows 98 and a 98 SE gaming pc; however, looking on Ebay, I see so many different variations.  The Final Doom, Doom Shareware, what the heck is the actual first doom for Windows with all the levels that I should get?  I also want to have it nice on my shelf so was the first Doom for Windows a big box or just a jewel cd?   Additionally, should a 360 wired USB controller work fine as the playing controller?

Thanks for any help...
the first release of doom was a shareware for dos and mac back in 1993, trying to get full versions of shareware is vary difficult and the shareware version of doom is especially difficult to find, doom got a "windows port" between 1995/1996 but win95 & 98 use the 9x kernel which means they are compatible any dos game, so just look for the original dos version or the 1995/1996 port

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:31:48 am »
BurningDoom is the best Doom, though. 8)

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:20:08 am »
Couldn't tell you where to find the earliest copy, but I doubt you could play the original DOS version with a 360 gamepad.
You can however run Doom through a Sourceport for later OS's, which allow the use of not only gamepads but mods and map packs. Plus various bugfixes and slight engine tweaks.
There's even a Sourceport called Chocolate Doom which accurately reproduces the experience of Doom as if it was played in the 1990s.

But on another note, DON'T PLAY DOOM WITH A GAMEPAD.
I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
It's wrong on so many levels, it controls 10x better with keyboard and mouse, hell the original configuration of Doom didn't even require a mouse at one point.
I know it's kind of contradictory seeing how Doom did get released on alot of consoles, but I think the best way to experience Doom is first with keyboard and mouse. You can move onto gamepad later on if you like just to see how it handles.

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 02:09:51 am »
The Ultimate Doom. It's basically the original game with an extra episode (set of levels.) Final Doom is two extra episodes.

There's a set called Doom Collector's Edition that had that and Doom II and included the original Windows 95 engine to run the games. The set costs $10-$20 on eBay but you might be able to find a cheaper version if you look around Goodwills and the like.

... and if you want to use a 360 pad... then maybe this game isn't for you. You're better off using a keyboard and mouse. (Unless you want to go for the 360 / PS3 versions of the games.)

Excellent.  The Ultimate Doom.  So just to make sure I am correct, I should Play "The Ultimate Doom", then "Final Doom" and then I would move on to "Doom II" correct?

Additionally, I will follow the feedback and give it a whirl at first with a keyboard and mouse only and then move on to a gamepad if possible.

scott

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:48:48 am »
Playing old PC games with a modern gamepad will ruin the feel, in my opinion. If you're going through the trouble of building a old PC for games, play them proper! Ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

thecrypticodor

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:20:46 pm »
The Ultimate Doom is definitely is the way to go. It has all four episodes of the first Doom. You don't even need a old win 95/98 machine to play it, as It will run perfectly in DOSBox.