Author Topic: Webcam recording for videos  (Read 2085 times)

90snostalga

Webcam recording for videos
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »
I'm trying to record a pick up video to add to my youtube channel because it is so much more convenient than a phone; however, even tho' my laptop is HD 1080, the webcam video is so fuzzy and I'm sure people would not want to watch some fuzzy lame video.  Any one know how to increase the quality of the web cam video recording?  I appreciate any help in advance

Re: Webcam recording for videos
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:00:40 pm »
It really depends on the resolution of the webcam itself. When you said your laptop is 1080P do you mean the screen resolution or the Webcam? Its possible that your screen is 1080p but your webcam could record at a much lower resolution. In this case you'll need to get a new webcam. If your webcam IS 1080p it could be a lighting issue. If you are in an area with low light your camera could have an issue trying to focus. The other issue is the placement of the lighting. If you only have lighting behind you it'll be hard to see your face. There's a lot to think about when recording video and I'm sure I've missed something but theres a few ideas for you at least.

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:09:59 pm »
It really depends on the resolution of the webcam itself. When you said your laptop is 1080P do you mean the screen resolution or the Webcam? Its possible that your screen is 1080p but your webcam could record at a much lower resolution. In this case you'll need to get a new webcam. If your webcam IS 1080p it could be a lighting issue. If you are in an area with low light your camera could have an issue trying to focus. The other issue is the placement of the lighting. If you only have lighting behind you it'll be hard to see your face. There's a lot to think about when recording video and I'm sure I've missed something but theres a few ideas for you at least.

Double checked it.  The 1080p is the actual resolution for the screen.  In the web cam options, it goes to 720p.  I'll have to try and turn on all the lights and see if the lighting works better.  This is my brand new laptop I got one month ago.  I just pulled the plastic off the webcam this morning so i dont think its broken or anything

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:42:21 pm »
It takes a lot of light to make your face show up good in a video. Some people look better in low light though.  :P

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:53:16 pm »
It takes a lot of light to make your face show up good in a video. Some people look better in low light though.  :P

lol ;D  I'm still paranoid and scared to show my face so I am going to disguise it anyways but I know people would not want to watch me showing recent pick ups in a fuzzy picture.  How do you film your videos Turf?  Phone, camcorder, etc?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:14:40 pm »

lol ;D  I'm still paranoid and scared to show my face so I am going to disguise it anyways but I know people would not want to watch me showing recent pick ups in a fuzzy picture.  How do you film your videos Turf?  Phone, camcorder, etc?

Camcorder.  I have a decent 1080p canon camcorder. I bought it for my wife when my son was born.  We videoed the ever-loving shit out of the first year of his life.  Then, it's just Christmas and me making silly videos.

90snostalga

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:25:00 am »

Camcorder.  I have a decent 1080p canon camcorder. I bought it for my wife when my son was born.  We videoed the ever-loving shit out of the first year of his life.  Then, it's just Christmas and me making silly videos.

Well, you are supposed to film your kids Turf lol :)  You act like it's a problem lol.

I've got an old camcorder but its one from like 2002 and uses tapes and I know its not in HD.  I've got to find time to use her phone I guess. She just does not let me use her phone that much.

When I do film it, can I say "Turf's zero edit productions"?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:33 am »

Well, you are supposed to film your kids Turf lol :)  You act like it's a problem lol.

I've got an old camcorder but its one from like 2002 and uses tapes and I know its not in HD.  I've got to find time to use her phone I guess. She just does not let me use her phone that much.

When I do film it, can I say "Turf's zero edit productions"?

You can say whatever you want.  I don't have anything trademarked... yet. ;) 
I'm kidding. Have at it brother.  I like the rawness of no edits.  What is said is what the 10s of people that watch hear.  I'm starting a movement!

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:41:08 pm »

It does take quite a bit of light for good results, especially with smaller cameras with ultra-small plastic lenses. Below is a photo I snapped with Google Glass while we were testing furniture positions for a set redesign on one of our shows. Had to tweak a bunch of the lighting after moving stuff around. You can see the number of fixtures we have up in the grid to light the various areas. For the particular set I was on there are three 1Ks, four fluorescent fills and a handfull of of smaller fixtures (ie: bright). If you're going to be doing a lot of shooting in your room you might want to check out three-point lighting. There is a key light (the light used to illuminate the subject), a fill light (to fill in some of the shadows) and a back light (to add a bit of glow to the edge of the head and shoulders). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

Something to keep in mind if there is a window near by is color temperature. Not all "white light" is the same color white. Your webcam will auto white balance (figures out what color white is "white") which can make the window seem blue or the room seem yellow (or sometimes green) depending on what it balances on. You can typically adjust for this by being aware of where light in the room is coming from and what is in the background of your camera shot.

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 04:26:16 am »

It does take quite a bit of light for good results, especially with smaller cameras with ultra-small plastic lenses. Below is a photo I snapped with Google Glass while we were testing furniture positions for a set redesign on one of our shows. Had to tweak a bunch of the lighting after moving stuff around. You can see the number of fixtures we have up in the grid to light the various areas. For the particular set I was on there are three 1Ks, four fluorescent fills and a handfull of of smaller fixtures (ie: bright). If you're going to be doing a lot of shooting in your room you might want to check out three-point lighting. There is a key light (the light used to illuminate the subject), a fill light (to fill in some of the shadows) and a back light (to add a bit of glow to the edge of the head and shoulders). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

Something to keep in mind if there is a window near by is color temperature. Not all "white light" is the same color white. Your webcam will auto white balance (figures out what color white is "white") which can make the window seem blue or the room seem yellow (or sometimes green) depending on what it balances on. You can typically adjust for this by being aware of where light in the room is coming from and what is in the background of your camera shot.

May I ask if I can be on one of your shows?   :)  What does it take?

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 02:50:19 pm »
I'll send you a PM.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 02:56:09 pm »

A better mask  ;D

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »

A better mask  ;D

Funny funny  :D