Author Topic: As Capcom Continues To Die And Who Do You Want To Get There IP's  (Read 3467 times)

htimreimer

capcom continues to bleed money, this time they had to cut there profits forecast by half, as of 2010 they only have ¥66.8 billion
($728.1 million) in the bank and its rumored that as of now, it even lower then that: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04/01/capcom-cuts-its-profits-forecast-by-half-because-of-poor-mobile-sales/

what do you guys think of this news and if capcom goes under, what companies should buy some of there IP's

Re: As Capcom Continues To Die And Who Do You Want To Get There IP's
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:37:39 pm »
profit cuts, big deal. as long as they break even everythings okay

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:44:51 pm »
profit cuts, big deal. as long as they break even everythings okay

Most companies would see this as a sign to change tactics and start doing other stuff.

But no, not Capcom. They'll probably funnel more money into what is going to be their death pit.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:43:13 am »
Going on the hypothetical that Capcom goes under...

Mega Man should go to Nintendo and be worked on by Retro for new titles.  Okami should go to Nintendo also.  I want Okami 2 utilizing the touch pad, it's made for that piece of hardware.

Devil May Cry to Platinum.

Resident Evil...well I would've said Visceral after Dead Space 2, but what happened with Dead Space 3, I would say no to them lol Really have no clue who would be great to get that now, the survival horror market is pretty bottom of the barrel right now as it's either indies making the good horror or stuff or randomly like Sega now it seems.  Maybe someone like Sony could buy it and work it with one of their prized studios.  Naughty Dog making the next Resident Evil? That would be crazy lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:16:45 am »
The only company that rivals Capcom's style and quality is Konami.

argyle

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 03:36:49 am »

I think there was a time when the two were on even footing, but these days (and I may be alone in this opinion) I think Capcom owns Konami.  Konami really has 2 franchises that are still viable at this point, Metal Gear & Castlevania.  Lords of Shadow 2 was horrible IMO, but if they get the right dev working on it next it still has enough positive popular opinion to be big for them.  Metal Gear is their moneymaker right now, and they clearly know it.  They've completely let Silent Hill go to crap, and I don't know that they can save it at this point. 

Capcom is in a much better position in my mind.  Dragon's Dogma was a pretty big success for them from my understanding, from a new IP standpoint.  RE6 didn't sell up to their expectations but it still sold well, and if you want to compare it to Silent Hill: Downpour...ugh, yeah, RE6 blows it out of the water.  They've already said they're going to take RE back to its roots with the next installment - we'll have to see what that ends up being, but it's at least somewhat reassuring to hear that they're listening to their fans.  It's a crime that DMC didn't sell better than it did, because it was an amazing game.  Their fighters are still doing well from what I can tell.  Dead Rising has to have sold well for them, being one of the only 'Bone launch titles people seemed to care about.

Don't get me wrong, if you compare Capcom now to what they were in the PS2 days they've definitely fallen quite a bit.  They were definitely my favorite overall dev. of that generation and put out a ton of games that were good to great to me.  They started several new franchises during that gen that were big hits (Devil May Cry, Onimusha (really wish they'd bring this one back), Monster Hunter) and a ton of one-offs and 2-shot games that were fantastic (Maximo, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, Okami).  Problem is they lost a LOT of talent this last gen.  And that may even be a symptom of a bigger problem that most of the big Japanese developers faced - trying to change who they are to chase the Western dollar.  Square-Enix has finally admitted to this being a mistake just recently with the success of Bravely Default, probably the most "Japanese" game they've put out in years.   Hopefully the rest will follow suit, because I don't want to lose anymore of the great Japanese devs.  Rather, I want them all to return to their former glory. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 04:51:13 am »
I would love to see Capcom rebound with some good games.  Bring back Resident Evil with an actually good survival horror game, revive Mega Man after strangling him in a back alley, maybe dabble in a few other things people are really wanting.  They have games people want, they just need to work out better ideas that aren't simply just trying to follow the trends.

htimreimer

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 05:12:55 am »

I think there was a time when the two were on even footing, but these days (and I may be alone in this opinion) I think Capcom owns Konami.  Konami really has 2 franchises that are still viable at this point, Metal Gear & Castlevania.  Lords of Shadow 2 was horrible IMO, but if they get the right dev working on it next it still has enough positive popular opinion to be big for them.  Metal Gear is their moneymaker right now, and they clearly know it.  They've completely let Silent Hill go to crap, and I don't know that they can save it at this point. 

Capcom is in a much better position in my mind.  Dragon's Dogma was a pretty big success for them from my understanding, from a new IP standpoint.  RE6 didn't sell up to their expectations but it still sold well, and if you want to compare it to Silent Hill: Downpour...ugh, yeah, RE6 blows it out of the water.  They've already said they're going to take RE back to its roots with the next installment - we'll have to see what that ends up being, but it's at least somewhat reassuring to hear that they're listening to their fans.  It's a crime that DMC didn't sell better than it did, because it was an amazing game.  Their fighters are still doing well from what I can tell.  Dead Rising has to have sold well for them, being one of the only 'Bone launch titles people seemed to care about.

Don't get me wrong, if you compare Capcom now to what they were in the PS2 days they've definitely fallen quite a bit.  They were definitely my favorite overall dev. of that generation and put out a ton of games that were good to great to me.  They started several new franchises during that gen that were big hits (Devil May Cry, Onimusha (really wish they'd bring this one back), Monster Hunter) and a ton of one-offs and 2-shot games that were fantastic (Maximo, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, Okami).  Problem is they lost a LOT of talent this last gen.  And that may even be a symptom of a bigger problem that most of the big Japanese developers faced - trying to change who they are to chase the Western dollar.  Square-Enix has finally admitted to this being a mistake just recently with the success of Bravely Default, probably the most "Japanese" game they've put out in years.   Hopefully the rest will follow suit, because I don't want to lose anymore of the great Japanese devs.  Rather, I want them all to return to their former glory.
the problem with capcom is that they don't learn from mistake's, for an example, they have been trying to enter the mobile phone game market since 2006 and they have made little to no profit from it , in 2012 they open up another mobile phone game subsidiary and you would think they shrink or kill this part that is giving them vary little in return but instead they made it bigger, stuff like this show's us that capcom is ether ignorant,vary poorly managed or both and that's is what's killing them

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 11:15:18 am »
While it is highly possibly at this point, I can't see Capcom going under and selling off their assets THQ style. They are still doing a lot of stupid stuff that is costing them to lose lots of money, but I feel given many comments that have been made by management and some key developers, they are finally getting why people aren't buying their games more and why many of their core fans have left. They have all the resources they need to make a huge comeback, I guess only time will tell if they actually utilize these resources in the right way. I for one believe the following moves would bring back a huge number of fans:

- Reopen the Megaman Legends 3 project and release another Mega man much like the originals or X.
- Make Resident Evil a survival horror series again, with actual scares, atmosphere, and freakin Zombies!
- Really focus on the Dragon's Dogma series and make it even better then it already is. Market the hell out of it too.
- Discontinue their infamous digital distribution and DLC practices that have pissed many off, including myself.
- Create several new IPs that are targeted toward core gamers, not the casual, shooter, or mobile crowd.

Just my thoughts.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 01:02:21 pm »
Well just for fun, if Capcom were to sell its franchises off...

I could see Mega Man and Viewtiful Joe either Nintendo or Sega.
I don't know why but I could see Ghosts 'n Goblins going to Konami. Sure, why not? LOL
Monster Hunter to NCSoft.
Resident Evil is a hard one. I know a lot of publishers would like that one.... I'd go with Ubisoft.
Ōkami to Sony.
Dead Rising to Microsoft for sure.
Final Fight to Namco.
Street Fighter maybe to... EA? EA would just pump new ones out every year or two just like Capcom. hehe
Phoenix Wright to Nintendo? I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:13:35 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 01:11:33 pm »
Resident Evil is a hard one. I know a lot of publishers would like that one.... I'd go with Ubisoft or Activision.

If either of these companies, or EA, got their hands on the Resdient Evil rights I would never-ever buy another RE game for as long as I live. The series already has one foot in the grave (pun intended), and if this happened it would be officially dead to me no matter what they decided to do with it. I can't think of a more horrible fate for the franchise.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:13:33 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:48 pm »
officially dead

LOL
But yeah I never said the outcome would be good. It's just something I could see happening.
Eh... a better choice could be Square? Just throwing out names. hehe
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:17:15 pm by badATchaos »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »
Resident Evil is a hard one. I know a lot of publishers would like that one.... I'd go with Ubisoft or Activision.

If either of these companies, or EA, got their hands on the Resdient Evil rights I would never-ever buy another RE game for as long as I live. The series already has one foot in the grave (pun intended), and if this happened it would be officially dead to me no matter what they decided to do with it. I can't think of a more horrible fate for the franchise.

I would jump at the opportunity to play a RE game made by someone else. Capcom has already shown that they have no interest in keeping the franchise's soul intact. They're more interested in making it the new Gears of War. So let's see what someone else can do rather than being continually disappointed.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:43:04 pm »
Somewhat interested in a new Breath Of Fire project.  Hopefully sold to Sony since my favorites were on the PlayStation.  Then again, Breath Of Fire: Dragon Quarter was kind of weird.  Atlus, maybe?

Also...

Well just for fun, if Capcom were to sell its franchises off...

I could see Mega Man and Viewtiful Joe either Nintendo or Sega.
I don't know why but I could see Ghosts 'n Goblins going to Konami. Sure, why not? LOL
Monster Hunter to NCSoft.
Resident Evil is a hard one. I know a lot of publishers would like that one.... I'd go with Ubisoft.
Ōkami to Sony.
Dead Rising to Microsoft for sure.
Final Fight to Namco.
Street Fighter maybe to... EA? EA would just pump new ones out every year or two just like Capcom. hehe
Phoenix Wright to Nintendo? I don't know.
Definitely agree with Okami and Monster Hunter.  Mega Man to Sega since I love a multi-platform blue bomber.  Everything else is decent enough.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

argyle

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 11:36:16 pm »
I'm just as well with Okami not becoming a franchise.  The first one was just such an amazing game, but I don't think every high-quality game necessarily needs a sequel.  Sometimes it's better just to let them stand alone rather than diluting it with sequels.  At any rate, I'd hate to see Nintendo do one - Okami is the best 3D "Zelda" ever made IMO, and if Nintendo got it I'm afraid they'd strip away all that made it so great in favor of making it more like what they have been doing with Zelda. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis