Author Topic: Disney games naming convention  (Read 3435 times)

Disney games naming convention
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:12:02 am »
The Disney games in the database have an inconsistent naming convention. Some of them start with "Disney's", while the others don't, sometimes for the same title on different platform! (Search for Aladdin and The lion king for examples) What is the consensus?

Re: Disney games naming convention
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:40:03 am »
Basically whatever it says on the box is what it should be titled as.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 02:13:03 pm »
I wish there was an inner-cover indica, like on a comic. It would eliminate any confusion. But I totally understand what he's saying. And "what's on the box" really doesn't help the situation. Many times it will say "Disney" above the game title, but I personally think that's just because they want to stick the Disney logo there for it being a Disney a product, and it's not intentionally supposed to be part of the actual game title.

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »
When we first started, I figured it should have been "Disney's Aladdin", "Disney's Lion King" and such. But now I look back and think "We never call the NES games "Disney's DuckTales", it's just "DuckTales"."

So I'm really leaning toward the idea of dropping Disney from the titles.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:25 pm »
What do you think about Tom Clancy's?

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:20:15 pm »
Not to add to the confusion, but some of the Genesis games (Beauty and the Beast) don't even say Disney or Beauty and the Beast on the spines.  :-X

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 04:14:41 pm »
I usually go by what's used on various sites like Wikipedia or the official game sites.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:14:17 am »
Yeah I could understand and agree with dropping Disney.
What about Sid Meier or Tom Clancey?
Oh god than there's John Romero's Daikatana. haha "John Romero's about to make you his b*tch."

scott

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 11:09:53 am »
And that's where the double edged sword comes into play...

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

theprestige2000

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 10:32:30 am »
What do you think about Tom Clancy's?

Game Stop employee here.  This is a topic of interest to me.  As a collector and someone who obsessively alphabetizes things it drives me crazy that games in a series or family aren't standardized within our (GameStop's) system.  Tom Clancy is a perfect example.  Games like Hawx are in our system as "Tom Clancy's Hawx" and Tom Clancy's Hawx 2", but Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 do not have the TC in front of them.  To make matters worse, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2 do not have the TC but Ghost Recon Future Soldier does, so it's not even standardized within the same series!  That's my GameStop rant of the day...

On my shelf the Tom Clancy Games are all together but my Disney games are not.  All the Tom Clancy games have a solid color spine and say "Tom Clancy's" prominently so they look good together.  Disney has a longer history and variety and a looser affiliation with some of the games.

soera

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:54:14 pm »
Here is my take on it (basically fits what Scott said). If the game is generally pronounced with that word, then it should be there. Ill use the Hawx game for example. If its normally called Tom Clancy's Hawx, it should at least have the Tom Clancy part in the alternate title. Tony Hawk games almost always are pronounced with his name on them so that is how they should be filed.

Disney games are, almost without fail, said without mentioning the word Disney so we should remove the Disney part from the main tag. If you want to add Disney to the alternate title, do so.

If you guys get bored and want to send in edits on these, Ill approve the changes.

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 02:12:38 pm »
Here is my take on it (basically fits what Scott said). If the game is generally pronounced with that word, then it should be there. Ill use the Hawx game for example. If its normally called Tom Clancy's Hawx, it should at least have the Tom Clancy part in the alternate title. Tony Hawk games almost always are pronounced with his name on them so that is how they should be filed.

Disney games are, almost without fail, said without mentioning the word Disney so we should remove the Disney part from the main tag. If you want to add Disney to the alternate title, do so.

If you guys get bored and want to send in edits on these, Ill approve the changes.

OBJECTION!

See here. And here.

I still say we go with the official titles as given by the publishers. Including the Disney word.

soera

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 02:33:11 pm »
Chicken Little I would argue with you ... Ive never heard anyone call that cartoon Disney's Chicken little. The infinity game Ill give you. Its one of the few that Disney is always mentioned when someone talks about it. Just like Disney Universe. But a lot of those ones in that list dont even list the word Disney in them. Pirates of the Caribbean, WALL - E, etc.

soera

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 02:36:13 pm »
Its sort of like the same thing with Activision. They literally put there name above every title they released yet when you think of Call of Duty, does anyone call it "Activision's Call of Duty" ?

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 02:56:49 pm »
Its sort of like the same thing with Activision. They literally put there name above every title they released yet when you think of Call of Duty, does anyone call it "Activision's Call of Duty" ?

Activision doesn't use that in their copyright notices in their site. Activision itself doesn't call it "Activision's Call of Duty." Where the heck did you see that? It's not the same situation at all since Disney uses the "Disney's" thing in their movies and TV shows. It's a brand (especially with titles that are just one or two common words) and they have to add that as their copyright thing.

You can't just go all or nothing. Some games use the Disney's title and some don't.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:05:35 pm by foxhack »