Author Topic: The joy of sun-fading your games!  (Read 1105 times)

Warmsignal

The joy of sun-fading your games!
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:20:42 pm »
One would never think that physical copies of games would be so hard to take care of. I have a good chuck of my games hanging out near a window, this window facing almost directly east, where the sun rises. They are alongside a wall that runs adjacent to this window, so not directly facing the sun. But still, I noticed certain titles are fading on the spine - for the record, 360 games turn from green to blue, and Wii games turn from white to yellow. I never would have suspected it. I'm wondering if I pull my shades every night and tilt them upward, will it block the sunlight rays that are damaging my games? I really don't have anywhere else to move those.

It's amazing how much effort is required to keep games in nice condition. Keep them in a dark, air conditioned, well dusted, sterile room with protective boxes or baggies over them or else they'll dematerialize in some way as they sit on the shelf. Sun fading is not even the first type of "damage" I've noticed my games sustaining from merely sitting there upright. I've also found warped cases and sagging sleeves and wrinkled inserts with sealed games! Fragile stuff.  :o
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:24:32 pm by Warmsignal »

Re: The joy of sun-fading your games!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:24:42 pm »
One would never think that physical copies of games would be so hard to take care of. I have a good chuck of my games hanging out near a window, this window facing almost directly east, where the sun rises. They are alongside a wall that runs adjacent to this window, so not directly facing the sun. But still, I noticed certain titles are fading on the spine - for the record, 360 games turn from green to blue, and Wii games turn from white to yellow. I never would have suspected it. I'm wondering if I pull my shades every night and tilt them upward, will it block the sunlight rays that are damaging my games? I really don't have anywhere else to move those.

It's amazing how much effort is required to keep games in nice condition. Keep them in a dark, air conditioned, well dusted, sterile room with protective boxes or baggies over them or else they'll dematerialize in some way as they sit on the shelf. Sun fading is not even the first type of "damage" I've noticed my games sustaining from merely sitting there upright. I've also found warped cases and sagging sleeves and wrinkled inserts with sealed games! Fragile stuff.  :o

i got white roller blinds that still let light through but not directly
seems to work for me

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:08:20 pm »
Yeah, been there.  My first Video Game/Media racks were open in the back.  Similar to this:

So, yeah, I ended up with that by a window for a while and paid the price with sun fading.  Ever since then I take sunlight into consideration for room arrangement and have switched to closed back racks.

blipcs76

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:28 am »
My collection has always been inside a cabinet, closet or in my basement, so the only sun-faded items in my collection are games i bought in that condition.

argyle

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:55 am »
There is one small window in my game room, but it is constantly covered by navy blue curtains. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

theflea

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:40:11 pm »
My game room has 1 window, it is covered with a thick black blanket and there's stuff covering it. No sunlight gets in period.  ;)
"Happy game hunting!!!"

scott

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 12:45:01 pm »
I plan on getting some window tint eventually and black blinds. I want some nice game themed curtains. But I've yet to find licensed video game character fabric at the craft stores.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

argyle

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 01:17:26 pm »
I plan on getting some window tint eventually and black blinds. I want some nice game themed curtains. But I've yet to find licensed video game character fabric at the craft stores.

If you do let me know - my mom has agreed to make a couple of throw pillows for me for the small couch in my game room if I can find some game-related material. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 04:11:42 pm »
I've seen Mario curtains and bedding at Wal-Mart. I think it was Mario Kart Wii specifically.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 04:57:30 pm »
Hmm I never go to Walmart. I'll have to swing over and see if they have anything.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread