Author Topic: Will PS2's standard games become expensive in 20 years like the NES?  (Read 14937 times)

dreama1

Let's say 20 years down the road would it be conceivably possible that the playstation 2's library of standard games ever become expensive or replicate the renaissance the NES/SNES is currently living right now? Or is this just a fantasy assumption that the PS2 would ever enjoy the Inflated prices? Will it still be more or less worthless?

theflea

Re: Will PS2's standard games become expensive in 20 years like the NES?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:01:19 pm »
as the players get older and have nostalgic memories of the games they played on PS2 it is a possibility that some games will shoot up in value due to the demand. There's already games valuable on PS2, GC and XBOX. And if 6th Gen games start to become Nostalgic then it wouldn't surprise me if the games that hold some value today might triple in cost in 20 years.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

argyle

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:01 pm »
Disk-based games are also not as durable as cartridges. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:09:46 pm »
as the players get older and have nostalgic memories of the games they played on PS2 it is a possibility that some games will shoot up in value due to the demand. There's already games valuable on PS2, GC and XBOX. And if 6th Gen games start to become Nostalgic then it wouldn't surprise me if the games that hold some value today might triple in cost in 20 years.
I heard today's games are produced in the millions. And that games back then would be in much smaller quantities, sometimes the games wouldn't even get an offical release date just sold when the game ships in?

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:11:53 pm »
I think prices will rise overall once the now 16 to 24 year olds that grew up with the system get careers and start using all their disposable income to relive their childhood. That is what is happening with the NES, SNES, TG16, and to a lessor degree the Genesis right now. It happened with Atari 2600 about a decade ago as well. Like the NES/SNES some common games will become inflated, but for the most part the uncommon and rare stuff will likely skyrocket as it has on 8/16 bit consoles right now. Look at what PS1 prices do in the next three years, that will be the PS2 in about 10-years most likely.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:14:24 pm »
I heard today's games are produced in the millions. And that games back then would be in much smaller quantities, sometimes the games wouldn't even get an offical release date just sold when the game ships in?

That is a major factor, as well as many games getting little to no press, and of course the internet wasn't around for people to spread the word on obscure games. That is a big reason why there is so much fascination with many 8 and 16 bit games because many of them had such small and unannounced releases, barely anyone bought them. There are games like this on systems as new as the PS2, but not nearly as many.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:16:05 pm »
A raise in price for sure, especially the good ones, but I don't think we'll be seeing near the same kind of thing anymore as we do with the old systems, particularly cartridge based stuff.  I think the amount of games might play a part also, I mean, how many PS2 games are out there? Over a thousand? These old consoles with like 700 games are a lot, but that's a more manageable number for a collector to me.  And as Argyle says, the cartridge stuff has a longer lasting form than the disk ones, where one bad scratch can ruin an entire game.  Even now with games just a couple years old, I'm seeing these games just get trashed by folks and there are just so many more of these games around as Dreama1 brings up.

dreama1

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 11:16:45 pm »
I think prices will rise overall once the now 16 to 24 year olds that grew up with the system get careers and start using all their disposable income to relive their childhood. That is what is happening with the NES, SNES, TG16, and to a lessor degree the Genesis right now. It happened with Atari 2600 about a decade ago as well. Like the NES/SNES some common games will become inflated, but for the most part the uncommon and rare stuff will likely skyrocket as it has on 8/16 bit consoles right now. Look at what PS1 prices do in the next three years, that will be the PS2 in about 10-years most likely.
You think the PS1's prices will go crazy in the next 3 years? My counter point would be if it was the cartridge based systems that were driving the prices, and that the same conditions couldn't be met with a disc based system. Will ps2 discs even work in 10 years? The disc as good storage has never been tested.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:19:27 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:07 pm »
You think the PS1's prices will go crazy in the next 3 years? My counter point would be if it was the cartridge based systems that were driving the prices, and that the same conditions couldn't be met with a disc based system. Will ps2 discs even work in 10 years? The disc as good storage has never been tested.

PS1 games have already started to rise, and yes, many of the people that grew up with the PS1 are now at the age where they are getting careers, mlre disposable income, and have yet to be burdened with family responsibilities so they will start increasing the demand for these games and the prices will go up. I have been trying to knock out as many PS1 games on my list for this exact reason.

In regards to discs working in 10-years, as long as they are well cared for and housed properly, there is no reason why they shouldn't work in that time period. Hell, I was buying music CD printed in the 80s up until a few years ago, and as long as the discs weren't completely scratched, I never had any issues with them. Sure, they won't last forever (nothing ever does), that goes for carts as well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:26:08 pm by bikingjahuty »

dreama1

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:26 pm »
A raise in price for sure, especially the good ones, but I don't think we'll be seeing near the same kind of thing anymore as we do with the old systems, particularly cartridge based stuff.  I think the amount of games might play a part also, I mean, how many PS2 games are out there? Over a thousand? These old consoles with like 700 games are a lot, but that's a more manageable number for a collector to me.  And as Argyle says, the cartridge stuff has a longer lasting form than the disk ones, where one bad scratch can ruin an entire game.  Even now with games just a couple years old, I'm seeing these games just get trashed by folks and there are just so many more of these games around as Dreama1 brings up.
My brain can't process the kids today sitting around in 20 years talking about the classic xbox 360 console, and how badly cod has aged. My mind draws blanks when I think in this direction. Maybe in 50 years the ps2 games will be ultra expensive as most discs stopped working, and to play you would need sealed copies or something. I'm just speculating but the life span of a disc is suppose to be like 20-30 years it's insane.

dreama1

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:27:18 pm »

PS1 games have already started to rise, and yes, many of the people that grew up with the PS1 are not at the age where they are getting careers, mlre disposable income, and have yet to be burdened with family responsibilities so they will start increasing the demand for these games and the prices will go up. I have been trying to knock out as many PS1 games on my list for this exact reason.

In regards to discs working in 10-years, as long as they are well cared for and housed properly, there is no reason why they shouldn't work in that time period. Hell, I was buying music CD printed in the 80s up until a few years ago, and as long as the discs weren't completely scratched, I never had any issues with them. Sure, they won't last forever (nothing ever does), that goes for carts as well.
hmm..... Makes me want to hoard ps1 games but im worried if it would be an epic fail when the prices don't move as predicted.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:58 pm »

PS1 games have already started to rise, and yes, many of the people that grew up with the PS1 are not at the age where they are getting careers, mlre disposable income, and have yet to be burdened with family responsibilities so they will start increasing the demand for these games and the prices will go up. I have been trying to knock out as many PS1 games on my list for this exact reason.

hmm..... Makes me want to hoard ps1 games but im worried if it would be an epic fail when the prices don't move as predicted.

Hoarding and game prospecting is a dangerous, risky move, unless you are paying a buck or so for most of them. Even games like RPGs that general go up in price can be a huge gamble.

But the prices of all these systems will go up and down. I truly believe SNES and NES prices will go down, especially for games that aren't rare, just sought after (Super Metroid, FF3, Yoshi's Island). As the main collecting population gets even older, takes on more financial responsibilies, have families, and even start burning out due to the scarcity and prices, the prices on much of the classic Nintendo library will likely go down. The same will eventually happen with all other consoles that experience a huge surge in popularity due to nostalgic 30-somes that eventually get older and move on.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 11:59:28 pm »
Heh, it'll happen eventually to the last PS4 game that was released. Games are finite, and there's an end of the line for physical ones that is coming. One day, every game from OuterSpace (first game ever?) forward will become available through the air via some technology. That will satisfy the urge to play, but vintage or antique items no longer in production, will always be collectible especially considering demand versus supply.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:02:27 am by Warmsignal »

thecrypticodor

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 01:10:16 am »
Most PS2's are already 10+ years old in another 20 they'll be 30 and over. A lot of the optical pickups will inevitably fail within that time. I doubt there's gonna be many if any companies making replacement laser's for 30+ year old systems. So it's not gonna be like the second and third gen consoles where they'll be a ton of units still functioning at 30 years of age. This should surely help even out the demand for PS2 media.
I have CD's released as early as 83 that still work just fine.

soera

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:21 am »
Disk-based games are also not as durable as cartridges.

This 110%. I know everyone says that the last 4-5 generations of games have been mass produced but simply put, a lot of them are not going to survive. Some of the ugliest fucking cartridges that look like they were unearthed from 20 years in a burial plot still play like they are brand new. These disk games can not do that. Im waiting to see what the game collector crowd is like when we are on the PS8.