Author Topic: Will PS2's standard games become expensive in 20 years like the NES?  (Read 14940 times)

90snostalga

Re: Will PS2's standard games become expensive in 20 years like the NES?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 08:07:57 am »
I know this is a mean thing to say for future collectors of PS2, but, I really hope they raise in value. I have more PS2 games than any other system just because they've been so cheap. It'd be nice for my biggest set to go up in value.

:'(

blipcs76

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 10:00:13 am »
I know this is a mean thing to say for future collectors of PS2, but, I really hope they raise in value. I have more PS2 games than any other system just because they've been so cheap. It'd be nice for my biggest set to go up in value.

I think they will start increasing in value starting about 5 years from now, as kids that grew up with it go what we went through in the 8/16/32/64 bit generations.  That being said, I doubt more than a few games will breach the $100 price point on the PS2.  The library is just too massive for anyone other than obsessives to go for a full PS2 library, so most of the common games will probably always hover around the $1-$5 mark.  It's going to be the JRPGs, fighting games, shooters and survival horror titles that experience the most growth.  I could see Silent Hill 2 at $30, Gradius V at $45 and Disgaea at $50 five years from now.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 12:23:49 pm »
I really need to get Gradius III & IV and Gradius V before they get there! I love me some shoot-em ups, and Gradius is one of the best series! I have the NES, SNES, and GBA ones.

dreama1

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 02:19:13 pm »
I really need to get Gradius III & IV and Gradius V before they get there! I love me some shoot-em ups, and Gradius is one of the best series! I have the NES, SNES, and GBA ones.
Musha's better.  :D

argyle

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 02:57:48 pm »
I'm not a huge shoot-em-up fan, but I do pick them up when I find them for cheap because I find them fun to mess around with occasionally.  That said, I am on the lookout for the PS2 R-Type because I've always had a soft spot for that series.  I used to own that one & remember enjoying it quite a bit.  Dunno what possessed me to get rid of it.   :-\
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:53 pm »

Great game, but you can't really call it a series, there's only 1.

darko

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 04:57:08 pm »
I don't see any disc based games going as crazy as carts. There will come a time when the discs simply wont work. Regardless of scratches, disc rot is a real thing. You could leave a game sealed and the odds of it working flawlessly in 20-30 years are minimal. Also - the consoles will all be dead someday. They have too many moving parts, too many things to go wrong, etc. That PS2 might have a brand new laser installed, but it might not be functional in 20 years even without use. Are there going to be lasers available 20 years from now? Meh - maybe, maybe not.

My suggestion (even as a collector) is to back those discs up on a PC and store them away until you want to play them again. I have a HDD installed on my PS2 for many reasons - one is because I know that someday that could be my only option.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 04:59:11 pm »
I personally think disc rot is a myth started by people that don't take care of their discs or bought bad discs. Like has already been mentioned by others, I have CDs that came out in the early-to-mid 80s that work perfectly fine and that's about as old as discs get. And these are CDs I've listened to A LOT (I'm big on the 80s).

90snostalga

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 05:31:10 pm »
I personally think disc rot is a myth started by people that don't take care of their discs or bought bad discs. Like has already been mentioned by others, I have CDs that came out in the early-to-mid 80s that work perfectly fine and that's about as old as discs get. And these are CDs I've listened to A LOT (I'm big on the 80s).

Here me out on this one doom.  Disc rot does occur; however, it's a time frame issue.  When I using to produce music for local studios I learned a lot about the cd dye.  CD's made after I believe 2000 or so, are made with less quality and the dye does fade over time.  CD's from the 80s were produced hell of a lot better.  As well as not just the dye but the coating.  The coating after the dye since the late 90s or so, is not as heavy as a compact disc from the 80s.  One of my grand mothers who used to work in the Silicon Valley for IBM back in the 60s, said they actually used cds back then (a little different form) and she claims those were fantastic durability compared to now.

You are probably right about it does depend on how well cds are treated but it seems that most of my older cds from the 80s and early 90s do have less scratches.  Hell, sometimes I will buy a new cd and it will get a scratch on it immediately after I take it out of the cd player from its first play.

90snostalga

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 05:33:33 pm »
I will say that when I hold a Wii U game disc, I can certainly feel the texture and heaviness of the rim of the cd coating.  I have not touched a ps4 or xbox one disc but the Wii U disc seems to have better physical quality than a 360 or ps3 disc.  Any one else notice this or am I just plain stupid?

Warmsignal

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »
Two opinions here. I too think disc rot is a myth unless stored in the wrong connditions. It seems like disc rot conspiracy changes the life expectancy every time people can prove they have old discs that work just fine.

Also just want to point out that some PS2 games have already risen in value. The market no longer needs to wait for the games to become antiquated before becoming collectable. Especially niche games. Back in the days of SNES I bet there were no NES games that were worth more than msrp already.

darko

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 08:32:02 pm »
Blueray disks have a really heavy coating. Anything on a blueray should last a long while. The coating is pretty nuts on them. It's almost difficult to scratch unless you throw them around.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:07 pm »
Same here I tons of early 80's CD that are absolutely perfect not a single one has any read errors. I've only ever heard of disc rot happening to laser disc's and that's even rare. It's only CD/DVD-R that has a 20-30 year shelf life. As long as you have a drive to read it optical media will last a hell of a lot longer than a hard drive will.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:00:30 pm by thecrypticodor »

dreama1

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 10:48:38 pm »

Great game, but you can't really call it a series, there's only 1.
Not true its on sega master system powerstrike 1,2 lol.

dreama1

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:46 pm »

Here me out on this one doom.  Disc rot does occur; however, it's a time frame issue.  When I using to produce music for local studios I learned a lot about the cd dye.  CD's made after I believe 2000 or so, are made with less quality and the dye does fade over time.  CD's from the 80s were produced hell of a lot better.  As well as not just the dye but the coating.  The coating after the dye since the late 90s or so, is not as heavy as a compact disc from the 80s.  One of my grand mothers who used to work in the Silicon Valley for IBM back in the 60s, said they actually used cds back then (a little different form) and she claims those were fantastic durability compared to now.

You are probably right about it does depend on how well cds are treated but it seems that most of my older cds from the 80s and early 90s do have less scratches.  Hell, sometimes I will buy a new cd and it will get a scratch on it immediately after I take it out of the cd player from its first play.
How the hell does that work anyway? Shouldn't things be improving instead of going backwards. 1980s not really that long ago problems start after 30 years.

http://www.rlvision.com/blog/how-long-do-writable-cddvd-last-400-discs-put-to-the-test/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:56:45 pm by dreama1 »