Author Topic: Tips for New/Newer Collector's  (Read 7803 times)

Re: Tips for New/Newer Collector's
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 03:50:30 am »
I'm technically a new collector, I've sorta done it off on and over the past 5 to 10 years, I get some stuff and then I either moved or needed to slim down and it wasn't till the past year or two that I tried to collect more consistently and I regularly go out to the flea market near me and get some stuff at cheap prices and try to get stuff at the thrift shops or at gamestop.  Right now, unless I come across stuff really cheap like only a few bucks a pop or less, I do try and focus on the things I really want, stuff I use to have, which has worked reasonably well for me.

For right now, I get a couple new games every week or two generally, sometimes less depending on how well it goes.  At the flea market, I basically have to compete with this one reseller and if I don't get there right at 9 when the gate opens, I'm not likely to get anything to good.  Frustrating, but I think I've done okay there. Resellers can be so annoying for a small scale collector like myself.

htimreimer

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 12:41:40 pm »
if you buy a game still in its original unopened shrink rap, don't be alarmed if you see that the box is a bit crushed because that's side effect it being in shrink rap for certain period of time and i do wish i knew why shrink rap dose this

darko

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 04:30:32 pm »
My best advice? Don't buy anything because you expect it to be valuble. It likely never will be. If you're going after a complete set of something, buy lots - be patient - expect to get duplicates and sell/trade for pieces you're missing.

Also - DON'T go for a complete set of anything if you're just starting out. That's the best way to get 300 garbage NES titles and waste a lot of space :) Trust me, I know!

Start collecting what you want to play/have based on nostalgia or taste or whatever. Figure out a theme for your collection if you have no idea where to start. For example, I like SMT games. I have most of them because I like them. None of them are that valuable, but I feel good everytime I pick one up. I don't regret purchasing any of them.

A lot of people say that being patient is important. While I don't technically disagree, I will say that you should be ready to pick something up if it's on your shortlist. This is especially true if you're concerned about condition. If you're just starting out, I would recommend that you choose your condition requirement from the getgo. If you don't mind a torn label? Fine. Just don't pick something up with a torn label expecting to replace it later on. That only sometimes works, and, if you care, you'll end up with multiple copies of potentially expensive games that no one really wants.

I could keep rambling, but I think you guys can pick out of that. I've been doing this for a while. If you have any specific questions I'll answer them.

EDIT: For the love of god, don't freak out over CE stuff. I collect some of it, but some of it is utter garbage. Most of them end up being on Amazon for half the asking price when they're new. Unless you actually want the game that comes with that statue? Don't waste your time. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:34:06 pm by darko »

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2014, 09:23:00 pm »
EDIT: For the love of god, don't freak out over CE stuff. I collect some of it, but some of it is utter garbage. Most of them end up being on Amazon for half the asking price when they're new. Unless you actually want the game that comes with that statue? Don't waste your time. Just my opinion.

I mostly agree with this. When CEs come out they definitely have to have more than just an artbook and soundtrack to cut the mustard for me. If I find them for dirt cheap though, I'll still pick them up.

sin2beta

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2014, 09:42:32 pm »

I mostly agree with this. When CEs come out they definitely have to have more than just an artbook and soundtrack to cut the mustard for me. If I find them for dirt cheap though, I'll still pick them up.

Agreed. I have one collector edition. It's perfect dark zero, which I wager is more common than the standard edition.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

argyle

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:46 pm »

Agreed. I have one collector edition. It's perfect dark zero, which I wager is more common than the standard edition.

IMO this falls back into "don't buy games with the intention of sitting on them for a profit later on" - there are better things to invest in if that's your goal.  But some people like CE's, just like some people like their games to be complete & some don't care.  And while it's true that MOST (not all - see The Last of Us for a recent example) of the AAA blockbuster CE's are overproduced & end up dropping down cheap in a few months, many of the more niche ones you either get at launch (or before!) or not at all - see almost anything NISA puts out.  So if you want these sets, you'd better get them while you can.  There are a few upcoming CE's this year I'll be getting - some NISA ones, Drakengard 3 and Tales of Xillia 2.  Others - like the inevitable Batman: Arkham Knight set - I want, but I know they'll drop down to $50 or less soon enough, so I'll wait. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 10:25:02 am »
start collecting for systems that you can afford and enjoy playing games on. Many of the Nintendo retro games are quite pricey so you may want to think twice before diving into that realm. Also, don't be afraid to pick up doubles (especially RPG's) if you find them for a good price and use them as trade bait down the road
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:27:26 am by negatron1000 »

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 12:46:21 pm »
What do you guys think about Limited Editions/Collectors editions?

I rarely buy collectors editions anymore since most of the stuff that they come with is junk.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:14 pm »
*PROTIP!

(For both new & veteran collectors):

Avoid.

the.

soera...

...that is all  :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 01:09:05 pm »
LEs/CEs are an interesting discussion. I prefer them to the normal Wal-mart shelf version of a game cause a lot of my stuff sits on display. But I also dont have that many. If you consider the life of the PS3 or the 3DS so far, my LE/CE selection is pretty small. For the PS3, I have : God of War Pandora's box edition, MK2011 Bookend edition w/arcade joystick, Ni no Kuni Wizard's edition, Witch and the hundred knight NISA edition, FF X/X-2 slipcover edition, and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles "cube" edition. Wish Diablo III would have had a CE :( And I wish the ones for Amalur wouldnt have been so crazy expensive. For the 3DS I only have Bravely Default and the soundtrack version of Conception II.

soera

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2014, 01:09:27 pm »
*PROTIP!

(For both new & veteran collectors):

Avoid.

the.

soera...

...that is all  :P

This right here is horrible advice!!!  8)

Re: Tips
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:17 pm »
Probably the best advice I can give anyone who is just getting into collecting is to be patient. You will see a lot of games when you're on the hunt for them, but the vast majority of them (especially retro games right now) are overpriced. Looking frequently at thrift stores, flea markets, craigslist, garage sales and places like that will save you a ton of money in the long run. Even carefully combing game stores can pay off when you catch them slipping.

In addition to being patient, it is also good to be well informed about the games you are after and what they typically go for on Ebay. That way you have a point of comparison as to whether or not you are getting a good deal.

Amen to that..
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 09:45:24 pm »
As far as collector's or limited editions go, the decision depends on whether the contents would pique my interest.  I usually cave to cloth maps and replicas of in-game items, soundtracks and small statues/toys are hit-or-miss, while huge statues/toys and art books are mostly a no.

Researching what the contents are will definitely influence my decision.

Please check out the games I have for sale.