Author Topic: What do you think of as "fair" when dealing with a indie/retro game store?  (Read 2878 times)

Warmsignal

I'm just curious, if anyone of you have dealt with them before. More so than buying, I am specifically talking about selling items to these stores? Do they treat you right? Do they give you fair store credit? Is it basically a bad idea to sell your items to these stores?

So I went in to trade a few things along with someone today. I didn't expect much, because what I brought in was modern and junky titles that I didn't even consider part of my collection, just junk I had. Six games, and I was surprised when they said I could get $10 in credit. For what I took in, I thought that was decent. I understand they need to make money on them..... So the person I along went with brings in a handful cartridge era Mario titles as trade material, and despite the fact that Price Charting average says one of them is retailing nearly at $25 alone, he gets offered $20 for the whole lot of four Mario games. This knowing that he wanted store credit so that the money goes back into the store, and knowing us as repeat customers who spend good money there.

So basically, you're better off bringing in junk than bringing in high demand games if you're trying to get ahead there. I would have sat on those junky games for a long time hoping to make more than $10 total on them. But selling old Mario games at full market value is a cakewalk, especially on eBay. So there's just no incentive to bring the good stuff to this store, which is sad.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it didn't seem like a fair offer. He didn't accept either. Sure, you aren't going to get full retail out of selling to a reseller, but that seemed like a low-ball offer to me considering what he had. Especially when the store says they base selling prices in line with Price Charting, so it's not like you're getting special prices as a buyer. I don't know.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:30:26 pm by Warmsignal »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

Indie, retro, or not, I never trade in games to stores anymore when making deals with other people are better, in my experience.  The trade credits I get for my game aren't even worth it since for that price, I could enjoy and keep the game instead.  As far as trading with people, at the very least, the trade is more reasonable.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

dashv

PRO Supporter

Indie, retro, or not, I never trade in games to stores anymore when making deals with other people are better, in my experience.  The trade credits I get for my game aren't even worth it since for that price, I could enjoy and keep the game instead.  As far as trading with people, at the very least, the trade is more reasonable.

I agree. I wouldn't trade at a store unless they offered "same value" trade in.

Since most don't I either hang on to what I have, or when the occasional dupe finds it's way to my home I either ebay it or trade it with someone.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:47:16 am by dashv »

I only trade games that I know aren't worth selling on Ebay (typically games worth under $7 or so), but never to indi-game stores. The reason being is I've noticed they give the least store credit and cash, at least the ones in my area do. Most of them give about a 25% of the games' sellable value in cash and 30-50% cash. However, a few stores are almost as bad as pawn shops, giving people as little as 10% cash and 15% store credit for games. I understand they have to make a profit, but 10% is insulting if you ask me. If I do trade games it is to a local used media store that has pretty inflated prices, but luckily they give good store credit based off their typically inflated prices. I got $8 credit ofr an XBOX copy of Fable once, was pretty happy about that lol. But yeah, the vast majority of time I never trade games in, anywhere. My doubles either go on Ebay or to local collectors who I trade with. You lose too much money when doing business with game stores.

argyle

You guys must be doing it wrong, I trade games in fairly often and almost never lose anything - more often than not I get more than what I originally paid.  The trick is taking advantage of trade-in specials.  And yeah, I ebay too but there are many times I look up the average going price of something on ebay, deduct fees & shipping and see I'd be much better off just trading the game in.  There is only one "indie" store around here that I'm aware of and they are an enormous rip-off, so I'm talking about the big chains (GS & BB). 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

I would think large chains would be more apt to rip people off, especially on old games. It's surprising that retro based stores won't make a good trade deal with you when you bring something in that they could make decent money and would move fast, but instead choose to treat you like the average Joe who doesn't understand the value of what he has.

As far as eBay, fees are only 10% and shipping is flexible, you can charge shipping to the buyer and also find the most economical way to ship, usually first class is cheap.

argyle

As far as eBay, fees are only 10% and shipping is flexible, you can charge shipping to the buyer and also find the most economical way to ship, usually first class is cheap.

Yup, and I do all of that - like I said, I sell a LOT on ebay.  ;)  And you're right, sometimes you absolutely get a better deal on ebay.  But to rule out trade ins across the board is cutting off a lot of potential deals.

For example, with bonuses right now Gamestop is giving $46 for the latest inFamous.  The ones on ebay seem to be going (complete) for $38 - $42 shipped. 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

karyann

The store I worked at did this. It was $5 to trade a game for another of the same value. If you wanted one that was valued higher, you pay the difference too. Credit wasn't much, like everywhere else, but the same-value trade was definitely awesome.

instead choose to treat you like the average Joe who doesn't understand the value of what he has.

I feel like this is the main problem right here. Most people who trade in games are not looking for full Ebay value, not even close. They are looking for quick cash or credit to pay bills, get a new game or console, or simply gt rid of something they feel is just taking up space. I have seen some horrendous buy backs from game stores who serious gave people a hundred bucks for almost a grand worth of games and consoles. It is sad, but that is the average Joe who sells and trades to game stores. Because these types of people make up the majority of trade in customers, they treat people, even regular customers who are known gamers and/or collectors that way as well. I know they are a business and they have to make money of what they take in, but it can just be ridiculous. I advise anyone looking to make real money off their games to go to Ebay, Amazon, or some place else where they will get paid what their games are actually worth.

argyle

There was a small up & coming chain around my area several years back called Rhino.  Awesome store, they dealt in all systems new & old and had great deals and an awesome staff.  Unfortunately, Gamestop saw them as a potential up-and-coming threat and since Rhino was owned at the time by Blockbuster who was hemorrhaging money, they were sold to GS & immediately absorbed.  :(

Anyway, they had an awesome deal where you could trade in any 2 games that were worth a minimum set amount (forgot what the amount was, but it was very generous) and get a brand new game.  I would find clearance games at other stores & call to ask if they qualified - I got many brand-new PS2 games for about $20 or sometimes less out of pocket.  A friend and I asked the guys one day how they could afford to run that deal, given the kinds of stuff we were trading in.  I'll never forget what they said - "Because most people don't get the most out of the system like you guys do.  Most people will trade in games that are worth way more than the minimum and often get games that cost less than full retail." 

Basically, the general public doesn't care, they don't look for deals and they just take whatever. 

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

If I'm trading in it's either for a pick flip(I bought call of duty black-ops 2 for $2 and used the trade in credit for a copy of Super Luigi U and put a pre-order down for Killer is Dead.) or to get rid of unwanted games in bulk(cheap sports games, cash-in TV and movie games) that would otherwise be hard to sell. I feel it's just knowing when to trade in and when to hold off. Especially when it come to getting enough in to get what you want.

Warmsignal

I only trade games that I know aren't worth selling on Ebay (typically games worth under $7 or so), but never to indi-game stores. The reason being is I've noticed they give the least store credit and cash, at least the ones in my area do. Most of them give about a 25% of the games' sellable value in cash and 30-50% cash. However, a few stores are almost as bad as pawn shops, giving people as little as 10% cash and 15% store credit for games. I understand they have to make a profit, but 10% is insulting if you ask me.

Pretty much. This store offered $5 for Mario Party 1 which right now on VGPC is at $28, so 17% of the value, also $5 for Mario 64 which is at an astounding $18 these days, Mario All-Stars which hovers around $15, and Mario Kart 64 which on average fetches $27 these days. Their offer was $20 for all, and those prices were exactly what they would resell them at.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

I guess I can understand if there are special offers, but then again...  Sadly, my location is not conveniently near to an indie/retro game store.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

theflea

Most of the time when I trade games to these places I expect half of what they sell it for, and trust me if you don't make this clear to them they will try and give under 25% what they sell for. They will only give you half if its store credit but for me I usually only trade in because they have something I want anyway. If you ask for cash you will get bottom dollar.
The only other games they are cheap on is sport games. Sometimes you can get a little more if its a really rare / popular game but you'll never get full value unless the owner wants it bad enough for his own collection.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

teck

PRO Supporter

Since most don't I either hang on to what I have, or when the occasional dupe finds it's way to my home I either ebay it or trade it with someone.

Well since the store has a ton of overhead that will never happen....  Utilities, rent, licensing, payroll, etc. mean that there needs to be a significant gap between price items are bought at and sold at just to break even....  Any store offering more than 60% will go out of business anyways just because there will be too little profit to stay open....  That being said, the trick is to offer much larger amounts on the rare stuff to appear to have very good buying prices....  There is no good reason to buy common games for high rates as a retailer, but if someone brings you a Demon's Crest, you naturally be a bit more generous....