Author Topic: Help me choose my free game (Wii U).  (Read 2308 times)

topspot123

Help me choose my free game (Wii U).
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:30:39 pm »
As you probably know, Nintendo is offering a free game if you buy Mario Kart 8 for Wii U and register it with Club Nintendo between May 30, 2014 and July 31, 2014.  You can receive a free download code for one of the following Wii U games:

New Super Mario Bros.™ U
Pikmin™ 3
The Legend of Zelda™: The Wind Waker HD
Wii Party™ U

Now as an avid player, collector, and cheapskate, this offer is very appealing to me.  But I am having a difficult time deciding what to choose as my free game, so I thought I would open it up for discussion here.  Firstly, I already own two of the four on offer.  I already have both New Super Mario Bros. U and Wii Party U.  I could argue the merits of getting digital versions of these games to supplement or supplant my physical copies, but I'm not really interested in doing that.  That narrows the choice to Pikmin 3, or Wind Waker HD.

Now this post could devolve into a bit of a lengthy manifesto, so for the tl;dr crowd, I've bolded the main points for easy summary.

One of the main reasons that it is difficult to choose is that I am sure that I would have ended up with physical copies of both games eventually.  I am essentially deciding which game I will 'own' digitally and which game I will own physically.  I am not reflexively opposed to owning digital version of games.  I have given it much thought and contemplation and I find that digital games don't bother me to a certain degree, even with Nintendo's behind the times, system-locked policy.  I already own lots of digital games.  But these have always either been the smaller PSN or XBLA type games, and/or games that are only ever released digitally (or were released physically later, after I bought it);  I have never* bought a full disc released console game digitally.  When there is a choice, I prefer physical copies.  A small part of that preference is the collectable object mentality, a smaller part of that preference is future protecting my purchase, but the largest part of that preference is simply data storage.  I don't have to data manage a physical disc.  I know how I am and my collections grow so large that I have to face deleting games from the hard drive to download new ones.  I hate that process and physical media is still an advantage in this regard. 

*almost never.  Price is king and sometimes a game is so cheap that I can't resist.  A low price makes it worth the trade off to me.

I like the Pikmin games, but I am behind on playing them.  That's one of the reasons I haven't bought Pikmin 3 yet.  I want it, but it is a lower priority compared to other games.  From what I've read I think that I will like Pikmin 3 the most, but I was really looking forward to having the game on my shelf, if I found a good deal.

As for Wind Waker, I already own the original release.  Generally, I don't like repurchasing the same game more than once.  This is a tenet of my collection that I don't always adhere to, but with all of the ports and re-releases, I had to draw the line somewhere.  I will just keep and play my original version...but I do have all of the other Zelda games including all of the previous re-releases.  Should I get Wind Waker as a freebie?  This will 'complete' this collection, but I won't have the box to show with the other Zelda games.  But since I would get it for free, I didn't 'buy' the same game for a second time. 

Of course I could still buy the physical version of whichever I pick at a later time, but like I said, my cheap ass ways probably wouldn't let that happen. 

Between the two, I am more prepared to spend money to buy Pikmin 3.   I am less willing to spend money, or as much money, on Wind Waker HD.  That might seem to push me to get Wind Waker HD for free, and buy Pikmin 3.  But actually it represents more of a financial savings for me to get Pikmin 3 for free, and buy Wind Waker HD for a cheap price later. 

Well, what do you think?  Am I missing something obvious?  What game are you getting for free?  How does this mess up your physical vs. digital debate?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:41:28 am by topspot123 »

argyle

Re: Help me choose my free game (Wii U).
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:33:19 pm »
There is another choice - sell the code on ebay & put the money towards a physical copy of one of those games or another one entirely.  :P 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:41:14 pm »
There is another choice - sell the code on ebay & put the money towards a physical copy of one of those games or another one entirely.  :P

I have considered that.  I am assuming that they might tie the code to your Club Nintendo tied console (similar to how cross buy works on Vita).  Time will tell though!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
The EU gets 10 different options for that MK8 deal. :( One of the options for them is Nintendo Land, which I don't own yet because I bought the Mario & Luigi Deluxe set. I would have gotten that one.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/57731/buy-mario-kart-8-get-one-of-10-wii-u-games-free/
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/mario_kart_8_club_nintendo_promotion_offers_a_free_wii_u_game
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:08:02 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:09:51 pm »
What I would do is choose whatever game you think you'll play the most. Regardless if you own it already. That way you never have to take it out again.

heavengeance

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:37:06 pm »
The EU gets 10 different options for that MK8 deal. :( One of the options for them is Nintendo Land, which I don't own yet because I bought the Mario & Luigi Deluxe set. I would have gotten that one.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/57731/buy-mario-kart-8-get-one-of-10-wii-u-games-free/
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/mario_kart_8_club_nintendo_promotion_offers_a_free_wii_u_game

Most of what Europe got is already less than 30 or has been on sale for 30 or under in the US. Either Mario or Zelda would be the way to go, since physical copies of those will be plentiful in the years down the road. And Pikmin should be a must for physical, if the previous releases are anything to go by and who knows I'm expecting a sale personally at my Best Buy they've had around like 15+ unsold copies for months now. Wii Party U is also just a better deal physically with the extra controller.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:39:31 pm by heavengeance »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 09:41:41 pm »
I think I'll get WiiU Party. It's the only one I don't have already.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:51:58 pm »
Wii Party U does sound interesting...  I think I'll second turf.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

argyle

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:56 am »
I should mention I'm probably getting Mario, because of the 3 I have interest in (don't care anything about a party game) I definitely want to own physical copies of Zelda & Pikmin.  Don't really care if I physically own the Mario game or not tho. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dreama1

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »
If you do end up getting shafted go with wind waker.

blipcs76

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 10:02:31 am »
I'll probably get either Wii Party U or Wind Waker HD.  Or I might just have to find which game is the smallest install, since I only have the basic console with 8GB of storage.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 11:02:44 am »
So unlike most people I actually read the whole opening post.

You should get the wind weaker because it a remake.  Than get physical version of pikimin 3.

Wind waker feel like it be around for long time and pikimin 3 become more rare first
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 03:01:52 am »
If possible I'll probebly just trade or sell my code.

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 08:37:25 am »
This is a great post question.  I happen to be in the same boat on May 30.  I would recommend to sale the code to get a physical copy but my question is, how much would the code sell for on Ebay?   

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 11:02:44 pm »
I'd go with the new mario