Author Topic: Does anyone collect for a system they don't own?  (Read 2579 times)

Does anyone collect for a system they don't own?
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:52:11 pm »
For about the past 6-months I have been running into really good prices of XBOX 360 games I've always wanted to play. The only problem is that I do not currently own an XBOX 360. I used to several years ago before the drive broke and then later went RRoD. However when it did die, I sold all the games I had for it at the time. Fast forward to today and I just picked up my sixth 360 game despite not having a 360. I do plan on getting another once the slims drop in price a bit more.

Another console I have a small, but respectable game collection for despite not owning the system is the Neo Geo Pocket Color. I ran into a bunch of the games for under $5 about 9-months ago and couldn't pass on them. I've ran into several of the consoles since then as well, but they've all been to pricy for me.

So does anyone else have a collection of games without the console to play them on? Or am I crazy and alone here :p?

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

Re: Does anyone collect for a system they don't own?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:56:51 pm »
I no longer have a Wii but I still have the games...  Although, my brother lets me use his system from time to time.

I also do not have a Sega Genesis at the moment but I am planning to get one when I'm able.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

theflea

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:02:35 pm »
I bought a few PS Vita games and I have yet to buy one. Waiting for a Collectors Edition I guess.  :P
"Happy game hunting!!!"

argyle

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:14:39 pm »
I no longer have a Wii but I still have the games...  Although, my brother lets me use his system from time to time.

I also do not have a Sega Genesis at the moment but I am planning to get one when I'm able.

Yeah, I still have some 360 games even tho I no longer have the system, but I'm not actively buying for it anymore.  Same with NES (sold my top loader, just looking for a good deal on a regular model now but not in a rush).  I guess technically I was buying Wii games when I didn't have one in the house anymore - I still "own" it, but my parents are using it.  Have a Wii U now tho so I can play those games again. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 09:00:09 pm »
I don't have a PS2, PSP, or Colecovision, but I own a few games for each (only one for Colecovision, and that is Learning With Leeper).

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 01:31:57 am »
I am starting to get into Sega CD and 3DO even though I don't own the consoles.

For Sega CD I just use my softmodded original XBOX.

Haven't been able to get freedo working on my PC for 3DO. :(

I also have a pretty hefty collection of PS Vita digital downloads because they typically come free with PS3 digital purchases.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:43:00 am by dashv »

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 01:35:03 am »
I collect for some things if I'm going for like a franchise, such as I have a Sonic game for the Game Gear, or I don't have a Famicom or Japanese N64, so I can't play the Japanese Zeldas I have.  I am considering collecting for something like Saturn/Sega CD cause I love their cases if I can find them in the wild though.  Don't have the systems, but they look pretty nice for display and one day I'll probably get them.

dreama1

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:55:31 am »
I am starting to get into Sega CD and 3DO even though I don't own the consoles.

For Sega CD I just use my softmodded original XBOX.

Haven't been able to get freedo working on my PC for 3DO. :(

I also have a pretty hefty collection of PS Vita digital downloads because they typically come free with PS3 digital purchases.
Sega cd emulation through xbox wow. Is that any good?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:41 am »
I have a few Sega CD games, 32x games, and Colecovision games without a system in sight. 

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 01:22:29 pm »
I do it also. I've got a couple of PS Vita games but I haven't bought the system yet. I'm waiting either for a good deal, or a bundle with a game I find interesting.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »
I tend to buy game gear games though I don't have a game gear. Other than that I got a small stack of 2600 games and no 2600. I also started to get sega CD, original xbox, and PS4 games before I got the systems

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 03:44:28 pm »
I totally do this. I don't have a PS3, Vita, or a Wii, but I have games for all three. I was able to skip a gen for my Xbox games (I have a 360) and was hoping that'd be the case for the PS4. I figured I can always pick up the consoles when they're cheaper but I didn't want to miss out on smaller-run titles or collectors editions.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 10:25:39 pm »
I will pick up a Mac game if it's something weird looking. Demo discs, too. I use emulators to play those.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 11:47:08 pm »
Sometimes. If I buy it, its because I plan on getting the console eventually. I bought Persona 4 Golden the day it came out and I just bought got a ps vita last week XD

tpugmire

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 09:56:31 am »
I have a decent amount of Atari 7800 games, and I've never even seen a 7800 in person before. I got them all from buying lots of 2600 games.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com