Author Topic: Does anyone collect for a system they don't own?  (Read 2576 times)

scott

Re: Does anyone collect for a system they don't own?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 10:27:06 am »
Over the course of my gaming life I've bought games I don't have console for.

Originally  I didn't have a PS2, but I bought Tekken Tag Tournament to play at my cousin's.
I have 2 MVS carts and no working arcade to play them on.
I have Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for PC Engine CD, and no modded TurboDuo to play it on.
I have New Super Luigi U for the Wii U also.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 11:34:48 am »
I am starting to get into Sega CD and 3DO even though I don't own the consoles.

For Sega CD I just use my softmodded original XBOX.

Haven't been able to get freedo working on my PC for 3DO. :(

I also have a pretty hefty collection of PS Vita digital downloads because they typically come free with PS3 digital purchases.
Sega cd emulation through xbox wow. Is that any good?

Depends, the real CDs generally work well enough.

But only certain Xboxes will read CDRs.

So original CD or isos are the most reliable.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »
I do this, but only if it's for a system I plan on buying. I had somewhere around 10-12 Wii games before I bought one, and that was mainly because of Nintendo's tendency to give games an extraordinarily short shelf life to drive up demand. Did the same with PSP, but that was more because the system was clearly on its way out, which meant tons of good deals! :D

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 02:51:39 pm »
I have no problem buying games for systems I don't have. My reasoning is that you never know when you'll come across something. Either that or it is just because I am a packrat.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 01:17:11 am »
I used to do this with 360 games before I actually got one a few weeks ago. I found the Orange Box at a thrift shop about a year ago for $5 and just went from there. I especially did this with the few JRPGs that the 360 had when I saw them.

I also have 1 lone Intellivision game that I'm still not really sure why I bought. I don't think I've even seen an Intellivision system ever.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 01:45:17 am »
I used to do this with 360 games before I actually got one a few weeks ago. I found the Orange Box at a thrift shop about a year ago for $5 and just went from there. I especially did this with the few JRPGs that the 360 had when I saw them.

I also have 1 lone Intellivision game that I'm still not really sure why I bought. I don't think I've even seen an Intellivision system ever.

What game?

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 10:48:33 am »
Yep. I figure, why not? I started in on my PS3 games long before getting one, got a head start on 3DS as well. If the price is right, then you should buy. Might do the same with PS4 eventually.

soera

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 11:21:28 am »
I have a sealed faceplate edition Deathsmiles for 360, brand new copy of Nintendo Land for Wii U and a stack of 2600 games (alot of Imagic titles as well as picture label Adventure).

sin2beta

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 05:47:40 pm »
I own a handful of Nintendo games that I did not want to sell with the rest of my collection. They are either rarer titles or stuff I got while I was in Japan. Mostly unremarkable stuff, just nostalgic. Higurashi, some Gundam games, Pokemon, etc. Plus, I do have Mother 1&2, and Mother 3. Those are the pride of my Nintendoless Nintendo collection. I just know if I get back into Nintendo collecting I will regret selling those. Even if they are cheap, they were my copies from when I was in Japan. 

I have been toying around with expanding my collection to portables. I take the train to work, which provides a good excuse to buy portable systems. If I do this, I will probably buy a few DS/3DS games before I buy a 3DS.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

karyann

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 06:57:05 pm »
I do that if I see a good deal on a game that I know I'll want when I own the system eventually. I don't buy games for consoles I don't have or plan to own, but if I DO plan to own it someday, I'd be crazy not to get the deal when I see it!

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 03:44:08 pm »
For about the past 6-months I have been running into really good prices of XBOX 360 games I've always wanted to play. The only problem is that I do not currently own an XBOX 360. I used to several years ago before the drive broke and then later went RRoD. However when it did die, I sold all the games I had for it at the time. Fast forward to today and I just picked up my sixth 360 game despite not having a 360. I do plan on getting another once the slims drop in price a bit more.

Another console I have a small, but respectable game collection for despite not owning the system is the Neo Geo Pocket Color. I ran into a bunch of the games for under $5 about 9-months ago and couldn't pass on them. I've ran into several of the consoles since then as well, but they've all been to pricy for me.

So does anyone else have a collection of games without the console to play them on? Or am I crazy and alone here :p?

Yes, especially if the system sold less than a couple million, because those games tend to be collectors items. I still have a fresh copy of iron soldier for jaguar waiting until i get one. Although technically I wonder of this counts because I DID have one a long while ago.