Author Topic: It's finally Happening  (Read 3306 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

It's finally Happening
« on: May 22, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »
in case you haven't heard

Retron 5 has a release date now and on June 6 Hell will freeze over

jobocan

Re: It's finally Happening
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:55:31 pm »
I'll wait for reviews before grabbing this, but I am actually interested.

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:02:41 pm »
Same. It would free up some space and I am particularly interested in using it for GB/GBC/GBA.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:07 pm »
Same. It would free up some space and I am particularly interested in using it for GB/GBC/GBA.

I'd love to get one if it turns out to be a good and viable way to have multiple systems available with minimal space used.  I don't have much room for consoles other than the new ones I currently play, so this would be real helpful.

Slight side note, since this runs through an HDMI I believe, is there a good box for multiple HDMI cords I can switch between? With the PS3/360/Wii U all sharing one cord right now and only two ports on my TV, another one would really just add to the annoyance of juggling one cord when I want to play something.

theflea

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 09:41:53 pm »
I'm not a big fan of new clone consoles, If I want to play any of the games this thing plays I'll play it on the originals. Ya I can see it being a space saver. But I still prefer the original consoles. Even if I want to play GB/GBC/GBA on the TV I can pull out the Super Gameboy or Gamecube with GBA attachment.
I really don't see me buying one unless I come across one at a garage sale dirt cheap.
Although I must admit I like the portable NES/SNES models.

I think the only way I'd buy a newer clone console on release is if Nintendo them selves released a well made model that plays all the old games. (and I'm not talking about downloading games like on your Wii/WiiU) Like for Nintendo's next big Anniversary as a Limited Edition, It could have a download ability But it has cart slots for all the classics. But I doubt this could ever happen. lol

But I do see the interest for someone who wants to play the old games but don't want to shell out five times the money to buy all the consoles this one machine can play.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:57:42 pm »
I've never been into the retrons, but this one is the exception. I may end up picking one up depending on how well it emulates the games it plays. I kind of need a space saver right now lol

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:09:19 pm »

I'd love to get one if it turns out to be a good and viable way to have multiple systems available with minimal space used.  I don't have much room for consoles other than the new ones I currently play, so this would be real helpful.

Slight side note, since this runs through an HDMI I believe, is there a good box for multiple HDMI cords I can switch between? With the PS3/360/Wii U all sharing one cord right now and only two ports on my TV, another one would really just add to the annoyance of juggling one cord when I want to play something.

This is the one I use I've had no problems with it for the 6 months I've had it
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Definition-switch-wireless-adapter/dp/B00BGBU3X6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1400810806&sr=8-8&keywords=hdmi+switch

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 10:26:06 pm »
I'm hoping it's all they claimed it would be. I want one of these for the living room.  Not so much as a space saver, even though that will be nice, but for the wireless controller. I hate having 12' of cord strung across my living room. Wireless controllers have me spoiled.  Kids don't trip over them and cats don't chase them.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:27:09 pm »
I have two on pre-order. A grey one from a local game shop and a black one from Amazon. :)

I also plan to do a pretty in-depth review. So if you are on the fence I'll try to give you the info you need to make a decision one way or the other.

I was told by my local store today that I should be able to pick mine up this Tuesday.

What do you guys want to know?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:13:39 am by dashv »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 12:06:19 am »
Still have the Gamecube with the GBA Player for that...  The fact that the Retron5 plays Genesis games and me without a Genesis are reasons that lure me into it.  Although, I would still love to have a Genesis controller.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 05:42:48 am »
I'm going to wait a few months. Initial reviews are great but one thing they can't do is let you know how a console holds up over time. Like any console at release, there could be bugs or defects that might not show up for a few days or weeks and poor build quality isn't always easily noticeable at first.

Hyperkin as a company does not exactly scream "quality"

soera

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 10:14:18 am »
I have one on pre-order. I want it for my living room for most of the same reasons Turf mentioned.

I still have my doubts on whether its going to be out then though. :P

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 11:32:04 am »

This is the one I use I've had no problems with it for the 6 months I've had it
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Definition-switch-wireless-adapter/dp/B00BGBU3X6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1400810806&sr=8-8&keywords=hdmi+switch

I think you referred me to this same HDMI switch a while back on another forum.  Been using mine since the referral and I second this one as well.  Very very good switch!

soera

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 11:39:29 am »
It doesnt just use HDMI. And for all those older games, the difference between HDMI and Component really isnt going to be noticeable. So get one more HDMI for either the PS3 or the WiiU, toss the 360 into the dumpster and then use component for the Retron 5. Problem solved!

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 11:46:05 am »
I want to get one but I'll have to buy an HD TV first.