Author Topic: Nostalgia Thread  (Read 1999 times)

madmax

Nostalgia Thread
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:48:46 am »
Sometimes I find it surprising that other people played the same games as me back in the day. I find references to games sometimes that I thought only I played as a child. What are some of those games? I feel like reminiscing and discussing old games :)

I'll start:

Zoombinis

This was the first game I ever got on PC, I played it for ages and actually completed it. I see posts on reddit about this pretty often :P

Hover!

I discovered hover! on the windows 95 CD when I was messing around with the computer as a kid. Again, hours of mindless fun. I found that you can download the game and run it on pretty much any version of windows

http://www.stanford.edu/~cammat/HOVER/

amauriel

Re: Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:58:57 pm »
So much time was spent in the library at school, "studying" on the computer by playing Hover! and listening to Hall of the Mountain King. I don't know if I really loved that game or if it was just that I got away with playing it.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

madmax

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:48:42 pm »
It wasn't all that great but it was the only quick paced game I had. I tried playing it again recently and the graphics are so bad that I had trouble playing because I had no idea what was going on. It's strange because my memory remembers the game having distinct hallways, walls and such. When I played it again it was just a mess of pixels to me :P

darko

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:15:42 am »
Mine would be The Incredible Machine. I spent a LOT of time playing that when I was really young. Can anyone say Windows 3.1?

matt

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:40:20 am »
Mine would be The Incredible Machine. I spent a LOT of time playing that when I was really young. Can anyone say Windows 3.1?
I spent a lot of time with this too. Fond, fond memories.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:49:11 am »
Speaking of playing videogames in the library... Outside of the iconic Oregon Trail, my school had another game that seemed to teach the lesson of "survival of the fittest"... where you control a fish and try to avoid bigger fish and prey on the smaller ones.  I can't recall the name of this PC game, though... Anyone know what it is?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:32:53 am »
Speaking of playing videogames in the library... Outside of the iconic Oregon Trail, my school had another game that seemed to teach the lesson of "survival of the fittest"... where you control a fish and try to avoid bigger fish and prey on the smaller ones.  I can't recall the name of this PC game, though... Anyone know what it is?

Oh I remember that game but have no idea what the name of it was...
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »
I remember the first time I played Bionic Commando. And how different and awesome it was, totally blew my 6 year old mind. I would find myself just swinging around the first couple levels and not caring about progressing forward. It is still one of my top 5 NES games. When i heard they were remaking it for xbla and making a current gen sequel, I was on board no questions asked.

psydswipe

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 05:44:40 am »

I'm not sure what that particular one is but it could be a take on Intellivision's 1982 game called Shark! Shark! where you eat the small fish to grow and then nibble on the shark's tail to take him down. More recently Feeding Frenzy appears to be almost exactly the same.

amauriel

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:27:41 am »
My earliest memory of playing games was the ColecoVision...my parents had one before I was born, and quite a few games for it. The first one I remember playing was probably either Cabbage Patch Kids or Mr. Do! but I will never forget my aunt's playing style on Lady Bug (a Pac-Man clone). She'd start getting chased by a bug (ghost, basically) and she'd start moving that controller the way she was trying to go, screaming at the top of her lungs. I've never heard anyone else scream at a game like she did.

Other ColecoVision memory: I was terrified of the dealer in Ken Uston's Blackjack/Poker. I was maybe 3 or 4 and I'd hide behind the couch when my dad played. For reference sake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icubKTt9iPE
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

killerchameleon

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:01:53 am »
One of the earliest video games with graphics that I can remember is Apple Panic for the Apple II computer came out in 1981 I think.  No color that I cam remember of like the Atari version.  I rememeber having to load it from a cassette tape.  I also remember the Apple computer came in kit form, my dad had to solder every component and wire onto a blank circut board.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 10:19:06 am »

I'm not sure what that particular one is but it could be a take on Intellivision's 1982 game called Shark! Shark! where you eat the small fish to grow and then nibble on the shark's tail to take him down. More recently Feeding Frenzy appears to be almost exactly the same.

I found it!
Odell Lake:

I remember now all the times I've seen the words... "You are a chub."
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:21:29 am »
"You are a chub."

Well if that doesn't build self esteem...