Author Topic: Retron 5 an In-depth Review (Updated 6/14/2014)  (Read 31810 times)

bobster

Re: Retron 5 an In-depth Review (Updated 6/14/2014)
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 02:24:35 pm »
So the thing that's been piquing my interest the most in the Retron 5 is the support for real time translation files. Now that it's been out a while, has that concept taken off at all? I don't have any imports, but I've certainly been considering it if the community providing translation files is pretty active.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

abe

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 09:04:00 pm »
So the thing that's been piquing my interest the most in the Retron 5 is the support for real time translation files. Now that it's been out a while, has that concept taken off at all? I don't have any imports, but I've certainly been considering it if the community providing translation files is pretty active.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Retron 5's IPS patch support, yes? IPS patches have been around for a long time and there's no shortage of translation patches for all sorts different consoles. There are still active communities of people translating games, and many of the most notable Japanese exclusives (for games on the systems playable on the Retron 5) have already gotten multiple fan translation patches. Some fan translations for games even have their own websites. I can send you a PM with a link to one of the sites I use to get translations from if you'd like, since I'm not sure if we're supposed to be linking to that sort of stuff on VGCollect. The site doesn't have any ROMs or any of that on it though, so it should be fine.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

bobster

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 09:34:30 pm »

I'm assuming you're talking about the Retron 5's IPS patch support, yes? IPS patches have been around for a long time and there's no shortage of translation patches for all sorts different consoles. There are still active communities of people translating games, and many of the most notable Japanese exclusives (for games on the systems playable on the Retron 5) have already gotten multiple fan translation patches. Some fan translations for games even have their own websites. I can send you a PM with a link to one of the sites I use to get translations from if you'd like, since I'm not sure if we're supposed to be linking to that sort of stuff on VGCollect. The site doesn't have any ROMs or any of that on it though, so it should be fine.
Yeah the IPS patches was what I was talking about. I guess I'm a little out of the scene for translation patches. I used to use English translation patches all the time for SNES ROMS. I'm not sure they were IPS file format back then lol.

As for linking it on VGCollect, it's perfectly acceptable. Foxhack has blessed the action as he's actually contributed to many patches himself.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

abe

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 09:53:39 pm »

Yeah the IPS patches was what I was talking about. I guess I'm a little out of the scene for translation patches. I used to use English translation patches all the time for SNES ROMS. I'm not sure they were IPS file format back then lol.

As for linking it on VGCollect, it's perfectly acceptable. Foxhack has blessed the action as he's actually contributed to many patches himself.

Here it be: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/

I'd say that IPS tends to be the most common, then again I haven't dealt with these a whole lot in a while so I might be a wee bit wrong. :-[ While IPS seems to be the dominant format, there are some other types on there (like UPS) that seem to be fairly common.

The new support of the IPS patches is one of the things that really got me interested with the Retron 5 too. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 11:09:50 pm »
My retron 5 just wiped my save for Metroid II (GB). Does the console have a known issue with importing original gameboy saves?

foxhack

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 11:38:53 pm »

Talking about game translations and patches is fine as long as you guys don't start posting blatantly illegal stuff, like full games.

And yes, I used to do this stuff. Romhacking.net doesn't have my stuff listed under this name, though - because the site owner refused to let me change my name there. Despite me using the name for years everywhere else. Bleh. :P

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 02:21:14 am »
Most folks have covered the patches thing already. But I wanted to mention the unofficial Retron 5 forums have a rather extensive catalog of known working patches for the Retron 5:

https://www.retro5.net/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=ba6951d363d192f91a298880ce32b895

Also the save game behavior has always been hit and miss with the Retron 5. The most recent firmware is pretty good. But earlier ones would destroy a lot of saves depending on how the cart actually implemented it.

This is in spite of Hyperkins repeated statements that the Retron 5 doesn't wipe saves. 

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:30 pm »
Just thought I'd throw in what looks like a compatibility issue with a Famicom game that I own, per the instructions in the compatibility list on google docs. Ganbare Goemon Gaiden: Kieta Ougon Kiseru (がんばれゴエモン外伝きえた黄金キセル) doesn't appear to be compatible at this time. The Retron5 fails to dump the ROM after multiple attempts, but reads fine on other consoles.

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 08:39:50 am »
Hi

I just tried Joust (NES) out on the retron 5 and for the life of me I could not get the multiplayer to work. Could someone check this and confirm?

Cheers,
Alex

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2015, 05:06:56 pm »
Hi,

Here is my game collection with what works and what not. I left out the multicarts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnX9mTHEuRnt6Hg57gws5zqk9LFOx1uOm8j9i7kvJaA/edit?usp=sharing

Still WIP

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2015, 10:22:06 pm »
Hi,

Here is my game collection with what works and what not. I left out the multicarts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnX9mTHEuRnt6Hg57gws5zqk9LFOx1uOm8j9i7kvJaA/edit?usp=sharing

Still WIP

Cool crab, wanna merge it with the official list? :)

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2015, 05:03:52 am »
Hi, that would be great yes. How should I call my bootleg yellow famicom carts though? Famiclone?

EDIT: The list is done btw
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:50:18 am by coolcrab »

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 12:43:47 pm »
Hey,

Is this still alive?

Also the powerbase converter does not work with the 2.3 beta

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 03:54:49 pm »
Coolcrab, yeah. I've just been busy with work. :)

I let Hyperkin know they broke the master system compatibility in 2.3beta (at the end of December) and they are currently looking into a fix.

For now 2.2 beta is your safest bet.

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »
Ok. Can you guys give me edit rights for the file? I've got a lot of gb games that are not on the list.