Author Topic: Games that are too expensive  (Read 7634 times)

Games that are too expensive
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:47:39 am »
What are those games that are so insanely expensive or have become so expensive that you are unlikely to ever buy them based on how pricey they are?

I thought of this thread after looking at Tron Bonne (PS1) prices recently. A few years ago when I first decided I'd want to play that game it was going for $75 to $100. At that time it was towards the top end of what I'd pay for it, but now with it having doubled in prices, I cannot justify, even for collecting's sake to purchase it at its going market rate. Mega Man Legends is a good game, and I have not played Legends 2, but there is no way this game carries enough substance to warrant  that kind of price. I guess I big part of the value is rarity, but I've never been one to collect games because they are rare.

A few other games I can add to the too expensive to buy list are:

-Snatcher (SCD)
-Demon's Crest (SNES)
-EVO (SNES)
-Rule of Rose (PS2)
-Metal Warriors (SNES)

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Games that are too expensive
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:54:34 am »
Most of the Retro games because of the resellers :o Contra for 20 bucks, cmon....
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

argyle

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:18:15 am »
I agree on Rule of Rose, but I'm still holding out hope that I'll stumble across it in the wild for a decent price.  This seems to be my year for PS2 survival horror games since I've now found both Kuon & Haunting Ground, 2 separate occasions, both complete & both $5/each.  I actually think RoR is the only really rare/expensive SH PS2 game I have left to pickup. 

I'd really like One Piece for the Wii, but I'm not going to pay the online going price for it. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:36:15 am »
I agree on Rule of Rose, but I'm still holding out hope that I'll stumble across it in the wild for a decent price.  This seems to be my year for PS2 survival horror games since I've now found both Kuon & Haunting Ground, 2 separate occasions, both complete & both $5/each.  I actually think RoR is the only really rare/expensive SH PS2 game I have left to pickup. 

I'd really like One Piece for the Wii, but I'm not going to pay the online going price for it.

Too be fair Rule of Rise was a massive flop and had limited distribution.

soera

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:57:43 am »
There is nothing that belongs on this list if the NES isnt mentioned. Stadium events for $8000 ?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10:27 pm »
Fair & tough question to answer, because (IMO) - it's too relative.

As in...the answer's going to vary greatly depending on how much money you have/make vs. your financial obligations, responsibilities, aspirations, and priorities.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:08:46 pm »
I can agree with that to a point. Im sure what Im willing to pay for stuff could be way more than someone else feels its worth and yet could be $100s less than another person is willing to pay for something.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:17:45 pm »
I can agree with that to a point. Im sure what Im willing to pay for stuff could be way more than someone else feels its worth and yet could be $100s less than another person is willing to pay for something.

*Exactly*
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 01:24:05 pm »
Most old games that are boxed for like 75 to 100 bucks are usually too pricey for me on one game.  There's a few of those on N64 I want, but that's too high for me to push for.  I only even push up towards those numbers when it's something super serious for my collection like finishing up my Zelda collection...except for Zelda 2.  50 bucks for that game? UGGGHHHh...but I need it! lol

I'm lucky I got both Mega Man Legends games cheap awhile back.  MML2 was even unopened at one point till I wanted to play it lol

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:56:35 pm »
Fair & tough question to answer, because (IMO) - it's too relative.

As in...the answer's going to vary greatly depending on how much money you have/make vs. your financial obligations, responsibilities, aspirations, and priorities.

Most definitely.

I know that one person, me might think $180 is way too much for Tron Bonne, but someone else would be like "TAKE MY MONEY!!!" lol. It just boils down to how much a specific game is worth to you, and that is sort of the point of this thread.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:07:37 pm »
ugh, i got a few that are haunting me.

conkers bad fur day for n64 is reaching triple digit insanity.
i had action 52 back in the day and would love to get it again but not 300 want...
i have mega man 1-6 so you think id be able to round that out and get mega man 7, but F those prices

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 10:08:51 pm »
conkers bad fur day for n64 is reaching triple digit insanity.

NNnnooooo...stop it! It was too expensive when it was 75 bucks, it can't be getting higher, it's the one main Rare game I need lol

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:03:24 pm »
Sorry to mention Neo Geo again... but I don't think I'll ever get the first Metal Slug game on the AES, just because of rarity and price, last legit copy I saw sold for 3500. Otherwise there are really only a few more games on "mainstream" consoles that I want that, honestly I know it's ridiculous but I'd pay for them... Ninja Gaiden trilogy, Contra 3, snatcher, Earthworm Jim special edition

abe

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 11:21:52 pm »
I'd have to say Earthbound is way too expensive now. It was bad enough a few years when the cart by itself was still under $100, and you'd spend more than $300 for a complete copy. Now it's just nuts.  :'( I could import a couple of complete copies of Mother 2 for what it would cost to get just an Earthbound cart by itself.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 01:11:31 am »
Basically anything asking over $200 is out of the question. At that point, I've got to say no game is quite worth it. Very few considerations for anything over $100. I'm probably going to break down and buy Earthbound at some point, and there are some Saturn games I want. Other than that, it stands little chance I'll pay over $100 for it.

I'm glad I was able to dive in into the water and catch up to the Rule of Rose boat before it sailed.  Just last year, I paid only $75 for it. There's another hidden PS2 gem that's gonna do the same thing I would almost bet, it's just waiting for people to find out about it. I'll give a hint, it's also published by Atlus.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:13:16 am by Warmsignal »