Author Topic: Games that are too expensive  (Read 7569 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Games that are too expensive
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 03:03:47 pm »
I'm glad I was able to dive in into the water and catch up to the Rule of Rose boat before it sailed.  Just last year, I paid only $75 for it. There's another hidden PS2 gem that's gonna do the same thing I would almost bet, it's just waiting for people to find out about it. I'll give a hint, it's also published by Atlus.

Hrm...Steambot Chronicles?  Or perhaps Sky Gunner, that's one I need to pickup soon-ish.

Now that I was able to finally pick up a copy, the game in question is Tsuganai for PS2. Pretty obscure, not sure what it's going to do in terms of value. But let be known, $18 could get you a complete mint copy at this point in time.

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 08:11:40 pm »
The thing that you guys aren't considering is the fact that it is now very popular to collect video games compared to even just a few years ago.  If there are 100 thousand copies of a game in existence, probably a fourth are broken or thrown away.  that leaves 75k.  Now 15k of those are in terrible condition a collector doesn't really want.  Now were at 60k.  Now assume at this many the price is $10.  Now assume that we collectors gobbled up 30k of them.  that leaves 30k still out there being passed around and sold.  Now also assume that with the limited quantity, the demand has now shifted due to its growing popularity.  The supply being cut in half after it was $10 puts it right at $20.  Now with more and more people wanting it and willing to pay for it, that shoots it up to $25-$30.  So re-sellers aren't to blame, they're just selling it for what people will give them for it.  And as long as we pay it they won't accept less than that.

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 01:53:14 am »
The thing that you guys aren't considering is the fact that it is now very popular to collect video games compared to even just a few years ago.  If there are 100 thousand copies of a game in existence, probably a fourth are broken or thrown away.  that leaves 75k.  Now 15k of those are in terrible condition a collector doesn't really want.  Now were at 60k.  Now assume at this many the price is $10.  Now assume that we collectors gobbled up 30k of them.  that leaves 30k still out there being passed around and sold.  Now also assume that with the limited quantity, the demand has now shifted due to its growing popularity.  The supply being cut in half after it was $10 puts it right at $20.  Now with more and more people wanting it and willing to pay for it, that shoots it up to $25-$30.  So re-sellers aren't to blame, they're just selling it for what people will give them for it.  And as long as we pay it they won't accept less than that.

This is a good point, and most definitely these games become rarer and rarer as time goes by due to copies breaking and collectors holding onto the games. Although, I am of the belief that collecting video games, specifically retro games is a trend that will die out in the next 5-years. It is no different then many of the other collecting fads that have come and gone, and as people lose interest, take on new financial obligations, and get frustrated over high prices, the value of many of these games will go down as quantity increased while demand continues to decrease. It is quite the opposite right now, but it'll change.

abe

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 07:38:18 am »

This is a good point, and most definitely these games become rarer and rarer as time goes by due to copies breaking and collectors holding onto the games. Although, I am of the belief that collecting video games, specifically retro games is a trend that will die out in the next 5-years. It is no different then many of the other collecting fads that have come and gone, and as people lose interest, take on new financial obligations, and get frustrated over high prices, the value of many of these games will go down as quantity increased while demand continues to decrease. It is quite the opposite right now, but it'll change.

As much as I like having other people to talk to about my hobbies, having a decreased interest in collecting (especially retro) sounds kinda nice. Then I can afford to buy more of the old retro stuff I've always wanted. :) Aside from that, it'll also weed out the people who aren't truly passionate about collecting. Buuuuut, I also feel like while prices may decrease on average, the really valuable and rare games like Earthbound or Little Samson will continue to hold their value.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 09:19:32 am »

Good point.

I completely agree.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 01:04:27 am »
Well that's what happened to atari games.  Not too long ago they were going for $5-10 for even common ones, now you barely need to pay the shipping costs on a lot of them.  It's quite possible that all retro systems will follow this trend.  But like what was said before,  rare games like the adult ones, beat em and eat em, custers revenge, and bachelor party, have remained valuable.  So I guess only time will tell what's going to happen.

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 10:23:28 pm »
Spud's Adventure seems to have doubled just this last year, I don't feel like paying $200 for that at all.  I sort of am a completionist and this is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night. 

I think Youtubers are partially responsible for some of the insane prices we're seeing by hyping certain games. 

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 10:49:58 am »

As much as I like having other people to talk to about my hobbies, having a decreased interest in collecting (especially retro) sounds kinda nice. Then I can afford to buy more of the old retro stuff I've always wanted. :) Aside from that, it'll also weed out the people who aren't truly passionate about collecting. Buuuuut, I also feel like while prices may decrease on average, the really valuable and rare games like Earthbound or Little Samson will continue to hold their value.

Games that are genuinely rare will likely hold their value, but stuff like Turtles in Time, Final Fantasy III, and Contra, which are all common games with high demand behind them, will slip back down. On the other hand, games such as Hagane, Musha, and Little Samson, all pretty rare, will probably dip in value a little, but will still fetch a premium even years after video game collecting is no longer trendy.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2014, 10:35:10 pm »
About 6 months ago I bought Doki Doki Panic CIB for about 40 USD. Now ppl are asking 100-150 bucks. It's nuts. I've never seen anything inflate that fast.

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 12:28:41 am »
About 6 months ago I bought Doki Doki Panic CIB for about 40 USD. Now ppl are asking 100-150 bucks. It's nuts. I've never seen anything inflate that fast.

Reminds me of a bunch of PS1 titles that are still on my want list. Probably one of the craziest gains was for Castlevania Chronicles (which I have now thank goodness). When I originally started looking for this game it was $15 - $20. Around the time I bought it, copies were going for well over $50. I ended up getting it for about half that so that was a relief.

razorbeamz

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:59 am »
Trip World for Game Boy. It's usually well over $100 and that's probably because it was never released in the US. I wonder if it's cheaper in Europe and Japan.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 02:05:31 pm »
You can still find TONS of cheap games. It's just the focus has shifted. It used to be that cartridges were easy and cheap to get a hold of because people were selling them off to get the new-fangled CD-ROM systems.

Now the people that collect those have bought them up from the people selling them off, and they're holding on to them, making them harder to find than when people were selling them off.

Now, though, it's Xbox, GameCube, PS2, 360, Wii, GBA, and PS1 (though starting dry up) games that are dirt cheap because that's the stuff people are selling off.

darko

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 03:37:48 pm »
This is an interesting question for someone who doesn't really have a limit on collection items (not bragging, just saying). I probably look at things a little differently. What it comes down to for me is - am I willing to spend $x on x? If the answer is yes, then I buy it. If it's no, then I don't. Market value has very little relevance unless I smell that something's off. For instance, I purchased The Death and Return of Superman on SNES CIB last weekend for ~ $75. Did I know that I wanted it? Not really. Did I want it when I saw it? Yep. Would I recommend anyone else pay that much for a garbage SNES title? Nope. It's all totally relative and is simply restricted by the limits of your personal confines/restraints.

As far as items I feel are terribly overpriced in comparison to supply/demand issues:

Earthbound
Mega Max X2 & X3
Panic Restaurant
Little Samson

I'm willing to bet that a part of the reason why the prices of some of these items are so outrageous (comparatively speaking) has to do with people like me. However, I also feel like many people who associate with this hobby in some form or fashion forget to use common sense a lot of the time. I paid $25 for a MINT & Complete copy of Bee 52 not too long ago (even has the baggie with the red sticker that came with it). Little Samson CIB for over $1000? GTFO.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:39:46 pm by darko »

abe

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 03:38:29 pm »
You can still find TONS of cheap games. It's just the focus has shifted. It used to be that cartridges were easy and cheap to get a hold of because people were selling them off to get the new-fangled CD-ROM systems.

Now the people that collect those have bought them up from the people selling them off, and they're holding on to them, making them harder to find than when people were selling them off.

Now, though, it's Xbox, GameCube, PS2, 360, Wii, GBA, and PS1 (though starting dry up) games that are dirt cheap because that's the stuff people are selling off.

I don't think I'd say GameCube games are dirt-cheap. Most of the good stuff is getting expensive and hard to find now.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

darko

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 03:40:52 pm »
Dirt cheap CD/DVD based games include:

Xbox
PS2
PS3

That is all.