Author Topic: Thanks VGG, I owe you one!  (Read 2451 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Thanks VGG, I owe you one!
« on: June 28, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »
Since we're such a diversified bunch here - playing & enjoying thousands of games of hundreds of different genres, on all kinds of different hardware & handheld systems throughout decades & generations of gaming...

...what are some games that we most likely never would have even heard of/played...if not for a discussion/recommendation *OR* just some random words in a random thread that we found ourselves reading here?

TL;DR

games that we only know about and/or have played thanks/due (in some way) to VGC...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

Re: Thanks VGG, I owe you one!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:07:03 pm »
Class of Heroes 2G for sure. Never would've known of its existence (would've thought there were only the PSP versions) if I wasn't on VGC. Though I don't usually buy games just because I think they're going to be rare and valuable, this one genuinely interests me... and the potential to be rare and valuable is just a nice bonus. ;) I haven't placed my order yet, but I'm definitely not going to miss my chance on it.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:47:07 pm »
I never would have known about theflea and his magical great game finding powers and awesome sell list. :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 03:58:08 pm »
I never would have known about theflea and his magical great game finding powers and awesome sell list. :)

Way to contribute to/stay on a topic...

...Again.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:28:19 pm »
Cave Story. I thought it was some kind of RPG and just bought it because it was cheap and sealed. Well like a true asshole, I bought a loose copy (since mine was sealed and apparently collectible) because someone here told me it was a sweet 2D platformer/adventure game.

Boy, am I glad. This game is a blast. It's a little on the easy side, but I'm having a lot of fun. I think I might even play through it again to get the different endings and different weapons. I never do that.  (except with Chrono Trigger because it is one of the best games ever)

theflea

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 07:13:48 pm »
Lol Glad I made it fun for you.

I always love to hear about exclusive games that we might miss otherwise.
I found out about Class of Heroes 2 PSP and PS3 from these forums.
Also found out about Cave Story 3D shooting up in price and quickly got a copy.
Someone mentioned Afrika (PS3) being rare and I remembered seeing a copy at my local store so I raced out and picked it up.
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 & Soul Hackers was on sale on a website real cheap and was pointed out by a member.
Some Famicom Games from a trade.
Someone said I need to try Defender 2000 on Atari Jaguar so I found a copy cheaper then usual and bought it.
And of course any sales I make through VGC goes back into my collection, helps be buy some of those obscure games/consoles.

BTW there is 3 new collector sets on NIS website
- Fairy Fencer F (ya i know someone already pointed this out to sorea)  :P
- Natural Doctrine (PS3)
- Natural Doctrine (PS4)
"Happy game hunting!!!"

argyle

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »
Someone said I need to try Defender 2000 on Atari Jaguar so I found a copy cheaper then usual and bought it.

That was me.  :D  Have you tried it out yet? 

Hrm, I'm not sure.  I know I *want* to try out Cross Edge which someone around here keeps saying is really good.  ;)  I've also added some Wii games to my wishlist thanks to people here, but I'm not sure if I've been able to pick any of those up yet. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 07:19:21 pm »
That game was Bionic Commando on XBox 360 for me. People kept raving it about it here, so I got it from the cheap bin, and now it's a game I'd never let go of and I feel is one of the best games on the 360.

argyle

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 07:20:46 pm »
That game was Bionic Commando on XBox 360 for me. People kept raving it about it here, so I got it from the cheap bin, and now it's a game I'd never let go of and I feel is one of the best games on the 360.

Ah, I picked that back up because of you talking it up, but I haven't given it another go yet.  Played it a little when it first came out & didn't care for it, but since you raved about it I figured I'd give it another go, especially since it's so cheap now.  :)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

soera

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 10:42:54 pm »
Half of my PS3 library I wouldnt have known about if it wasnt for Kenny. :D

foxhack

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 11:10:49 pm »

Great, now go buy the Strider remake. :p

argyle

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 11:31:17 pm »

Great, now go sign up for PS+ so you get the Strider remake for free next month. :p

Fixed that for ya.  ;)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 11:50:54 pm »

Trust me, it's on my list. Along with Shovel Knight.

argyle

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 12:54:20 am »

Trust me, it's on my list. Along with Shovel Knight.

I'm seriously eyeing Shovel Knight myself.  Have they said they're going to just stick w/ the Nintendo systems on the console side (I know it's out on PC as well)?  Just wondering if it could be coming to Vita.

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 01:02:07 am »
I'm seriously eyeing Shovel Knight myself.  Have they said they're going to just stick w/ the Nintendo systems on the console side (I know it's out on PC as well)?  Just wondering if it could be coming to Vita.

Not at the moment. It seems to be planned, but just not right now.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/06/shovel-knight-release-soundtrack-24-hours-later/