Author Topic: Trophies & Achievments Thread  (Read 2018 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Trophies & Achievments Thread
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:46:05 am »
Anything trophy and/or Achievement-related goes here.

Hell, even Completion %'s are fine if they come up in discussion!

Some 'starter' questions & topic discussion ideas:

- What do you think of trophies & achievements?

- What are the factors that you use in deciding which games you WILL bother going for the Platinum/100% and which ones you WON'T?

- What makes you get to the point of giving up/changing your mind about NOT platting/completing a game that you initially intended to?

And (for some "fun" ones:)

- What's your "Proudest" Plat? (Can = most challenging/took the most time, etc)

- What are some of your quickest -n- easiest ones?

- Which ones were the most fun?

- Which ones (if any) are you working on now?

and

What are some of your next/upcoming ones going to be?

My "proudest" (toughest) & luckily, most fun was Cross Edge

My quickest -n- easiest was Last Rebellion.

Another one of the ones that I had the most fun platting was Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness, and

the SERIES that I've platted the most of is the "PS3 Atelier" games; having platted 4 of them, so far (Vanilla) Rorona, Totori, Meruru, and Ayesha.

I'm currently playing (and intending to plat) Atelier Escha + Logy & (once the trophies are functioning correctly) will also be going after Rorona Plus.

Neat bit of *Trivia* about the title "Escha + Logy" (read in JP as):

"Escha TO Logy" is that - the word "Eschatology" has to do with religious themes of the Apocalypse/End Times...

...coincidence?!  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

Re: Trophies & Achievments Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:51:25 am »
I like trophies because they get me to do stuff I might not normally do when I play through a game. I end up getting more from the games I really like when I try to go for either the plat, or as many as I can. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any plats yet, but I usually decide based on how much I like the game and how long it'll take to plat. For instance, I'll probably never plat any of the main games in the Neptunia series because it's a bit to grindy for my tastes.
One of the easiest plats to get though is definitely The Walking Dead. You'll get it just by finishing the game. No challenge at all.
Aaaaand as I posted in the Now Playing thread, I'm going for the plat in the Vita version of XBlaze Code: Embryo since it just got an important bug-fixing patch.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:54:29 am by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:55:32 am »
Anyone else *HATE* when:

a).  You've got a Plat!

b).  DLC

c).  Your plat now shows 50% completion...It can't just be me hating on this...can it?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:57 pm »
It's definetly changed my play-style. Used to be that I only cared about getting to the end of the game. Now I actually try to get some of those achievements while playing. I don't go for 100% always, because sometime some of those achievements are damn near impossible, but I do try to get the ones I know I can shoot for.

I did 100% Oblivion (Xbox 360), though. I was pretty proud of that since that game is freaking massive.

soera

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:47:12 pm »
I like trophies at times. Its always cool to see that little icon appear in the corner and that little ding sound. Sadly, I dont ever have my ps3 hooked up online and for some reason almost every game has some sort of online requirement for plat so I have almost no plats. I think Saw is the only plat trophy I have.

Mortal Kombat was some of the toughest trophies to get for me.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 01:40:32 pm »
I like trophies at times. Its always cool to see that little icon appear in the corner and that little ding sound. Sadly, I dont ever have my ps3 hooked up online and for some reason almost every game has some sort of online requirement for plat so I have almost no plats. I think Saw is the only plat trophy I have.

MOST RPG's are good about avoiding trophies that you have to be on-line for, at least.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:57:39 pm »

Same here. I have the original model 360, so my internet has to wired in. Except our modem is in the living room, and my consoles are in my man-cave. So I usually don't bother with online unless it's to download or update a game.

argyle

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:49 pm »
I usually check out approx how long / hard the plat is to get (I like the site www.playstationtrophies.org for this info & also finding out what trophies are misable & getting tips on getting trophies).  If something will take multiple playthroughs, then I *usually* won't go for it - tho there are exceptions (I may end up going for the Dead Space plat, because I've played & finished it twice now and really just need the hard playthrough trophy & the really hard asteroid mini-game one).  Or if something is extremely time consuming I'll usually pass. 

Proudest / most difficult?  Hrm - probably Sound Shapes, the challenges in that game are insanely brutal.  I only stuck with it because, thanks to cross-save functionality, you can end up getting 3 plats out of that one by syncing your save to your PS3/PS4/Vita.  But it's still not worth it...so unfairly hard...

Most fun is more difficult - I've enjoyed several of them.  Probably XIII-2, tho I'd say Saints Row 3, Sleeping Dogs & Kingdoms of Amalur were all a blast as well. 

Easiest was Walking Dead, no doubt.

Right now I'm working towards the plat in Pixel Junk Shooter Ultimate, it seems pretty do-able.  I'm also making sure I set myself up for the plat in Fallout 3, tho I may or may not finish it out right now - we'll see.

Here's another question - what's the closest you've come to getting a plat without actually finishing it up?  Mine is probably Assassin's Creed 2, I'm missing maybe 3 trophies but they all hinge on finishing one task - getting all the feathers.  Could probably sit down with a guide or something and knock it out in an afternoon, easy. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 03:02:21 pm »

argyle

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 03:19:59 pm »
Here is that Ni no Kuni one I mentioned : http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/ni-no-kuni-en/trophy/59395-Super-Hero.html

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of.  It honestly took me around 2 hours to get the 5 scrolls needed for the axe - and that's counting the fact that I got the 5 scrolls once, then LOST POWER and had to do it again.  Still 2 hours total, give or take. 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 03:23:34 pm »
The only achievement I'm particularly proud of is the Mile High Club achievement from Call of Duty 4. I'm proud of it because its an achievement none of my friends were able to get. It's actually a lot easier once you figure out the trick. The trick is to  only using a pistol since it reloads almost instantly.

I try go get all the achievements for a game if I really enjoy the game. The only games I've tried to do that for are Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Bad Company 2, and Persona 4 Golden. I actually gave up on Call of Duty 4 because I couldn't get one of the easier achievements (shoot all the televisions) and I was just lazy about it. Halo 3 and Bad Company 2 ultimately came down to not being able to get the multilayer achievements and I eventually gave up. I'm still working on P4 Golden but this will take a while since one play-through can easily take over 100 hours.

I have mixed feelings about achievements and trophies. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a completionist and trying to get every achievement in a game. The problem starts to occur when people actually care about gamerscore and trophies. What I mean is, when people start to think achievement and trophies actually matter and people buy games not to play them but simply to boost their trophy and achievement count.

soera

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 03:28:19 pm »
Here is that Ni no Kuni one I mentioned : http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/ni-no-kuni-en/trophy/59395-Super-Hero.html

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of.  It honestly took me around 2 hours to get the 5 scrolls needed for the axe - and that's counting the fact that I got the 5 scrolls once, then LOST POWER and had to do it again.  Still 2 hours total, give or take.

I had about 10-12 hours into farming the scrolls and I still dont think I got all 5 of them. The other ingredient (dont remember what it is) wasnt too bad.

argyle

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »

I had about 10-12 hours into farming the scrolls and I still dont think I got all 5 of them. The other ingredient (dont remember what it is) wasnt too bad.

Yeah, like I said, I've been told I got VERY lucky.  ;) 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »
Here's another question - what's the closest you've come to getting a plat without actually finishing it up?

That's another good question -and- one with an easy answer, for me.

Absolutely, the HD re-master of FFX for the PS3.

I'm pretty sure that I stopped at upwards of 95% completion!

Why?!

Because Dodging-Lightning & Racing Choco-Ho's just...stopped being fun & started to feel more like work than a game.

So that's *MY* line-in-the-sand = when it stops being FUN = it's time to stop  8)

BBowles

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:45 am »
As someone who has xboxachievements.com as his homepage, I am a big fan of the idea behind achievements/platinums, though some can be really annoying. Mainly, the multiplayer ones. I don't even mind the grinding achievements, but mp achievements, especially the ones that require teamwork, are a pain in my rear :P I posted in the other thread about 100% completions, but I think I'm at around 62 plats/100% achievement games. Of course, my Xbox 360 shows 87 completed, but its including games that have added dlc since I last played them.

As far as my most proud, that would be between 2 EXTREMELY GRINDY achievements.

Proudest single achievement would be Gears of War 3 - Seriously 3.0 (I don't know the exact number of hours, but its easily 1000+ and 1 console's life)

Proudest 100% would be Star Ocean: The Last Hope (right around 650 hours on my save files, although I did miss a single treasure chest halfway through my initial playthrough and had to start a new game to get it).

Currently working on Titanfall (both on 360 and One), though I don't really consider it work as I love the game.

Needless to say, I'm definitely a fan of achievements.