Author Topic: The ones that got away. . .  (Read 2713 times)

The ones that got away. . .
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »
We all have those games, consoles, or video game collectables that we knew we should have picked up when we had a chance at one point or another, but we didn't and looking back we wish we had. What are those video game items that you decided to pass on, only days, weeks, months or even years later regret it completely?

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: The ones that got away. . .
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:30 pm »
Several years ago (8-10) I passed on Little Samson numerous times. It was in a favorite game store of mine for a COUPLE OF YEARS. It was. $50, so I wouldn't even get close to buying it. I had a $10 on single game and $20 in one day limit. Now, I'd stab someone for a $50 Little Samson.

dreama1

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:54:10 pm »
43 dollars for dragon force boxed and complete.

hexen

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:15:32 pm »
Castlevania Bloodlines complete - $10 or 15
EVO: The Search for Eden - $30
All the SNES MegaMan games... about $20-30 each (this one hurts)
Snow Bros. for $60 with a 25% off coupon literally a DAY after I spent about $90 on it... (Maybe this doesn't count, but UHG.)

I've also seen a few interesting games that weren't really on my wishlist for game-play, but where relatively uncommon, for relatively cheap. Stuff like Captain Novolin. There have also been a lot of times a bunch of games have been really cheap, and I regret not buying them all on that merit alone because I already have them. This has happened the most with N64 classics.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:01:43 pm »
DuckTales 2 on NES, eBay auction, went for about $50.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:05:18 pm »
I canceled my early retron 5 Amazon preorder...... Now they are too damn expensive.... kinda regretting that

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:28 pm »
Wow, these are some insane loses lol.

Here is mine:

I local game store I frequent had a bunch of loose Genesis games in plastic rental cases on a shelf with their boxed Genesis games. Mind you they were all behind the counter so I couldn't just sift through them unless I asked. I guess because most of the complete Genesis games they had were nothing special and slightly overpriced I never bothered to check the loose games in the rental cases. Biggest mistake ever. The GM of this game store and I were shooting the shit one day and he mentioned that he nearly died when he realized what one of the games was in one of those rental cases; it was the extremely rare Genesis port of Tetris! He said that they had it there for $10 before realizing what it actually was when someone bought it for that price. I seriously looked at that freakin case probably 50-times and never bothered to look and see what was in it. I died a little inside when I found that out lol.

abe

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:16:11 pm »
A new 20th Anniversary Edition Game Boy Micro at Zellers for $50 (back when Zellers still existed). I still regret that one, especially since I've been wanting a Micro lately. :'(

Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 11:25:05 pm »
I miss Zellers too! I used to cross into New Brunswick once in a while. Especially back when the exchange rates were more favorable.

argyle

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:26:39 pm »
Most everything I can think of isn't something I passed on but something I owned & either sold or traded.  :(  I mentioned some of the games I sold off in another thread yesterday, a ton of PSOne RPGs.  So I'll mention some hardware this time - I sold off the NES Limited Edition GBA SP.  I had bought it new myself, so it was complete in box & *mint*.  Been kicking myself over that one for a while now.  :-\
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 11:38:56 pm »
I miss Zellers too! I used to cross into New Brunswick once in a while. Especially back when the exchange rates were more favorable.

Zellers was always great for finding old games/electronics that had sold out everywhere else long ago. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 12:07:36 am »
So far the only huge misses was a cheap dev ps2 unit going for $80, but didn't have the cash for that, and passing up on pokemon box(ruby and sapphire) and fire emblem:path of radiance/ radiant dawn when they came out for $50 each.
However, I may be able to get another complete pokemon box for gc since one of my brother's friends happens to have the whole thing just sitting there at his house.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 02:15:20 am »
I dont know if this counts as I happen to make the best decision but at one point in time I was at a game store and I had a choice of three Saturn games: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Saturn Bomberman and Shining Force III.  If i remember right each one was going for $45 (imagine walking into a store and seeing that scenario now).  This was a loooooooooooooong time ago and at the moment I wasnt collecting I just wanted a game for the Saturn I bought used.  I chose Panzer Dragoon Saga.  After alot of time passed and Saturn games became extremely scarce I had a hell of time trying to track down those other two games.  I eventually found Saturn Bomberman (loose) but never Shining Force.  Other than that there are sooooo many times I remember Magic Knight Rayearth and Burning Soldiers just sitting on a shelf at a gamestore in the mall.  I just never pulled the trigger on them.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 02:57:22 pm »
I've been fairly lucky, I wish I didn't sell my Conker Live and Reloaded since it's kind of pricey now, I also wish I actually found Stubbs the Zombie, rented it like 5 times but never saw it in any store...
Only one I've missed out on was Contra 3 complete for like 50 bucks but the going price now is not too far off

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »
Moved to California. Went through my stuff dozens of times. Could not find the following games:

Jackal (nes)
Tmnt (nes)
Zelda gold 5 screw (nes)
Day dreamin davey (nes)
Jurassic Park (nes)
Dr. Jekyll and mr. Hyde (nes)
Ducktales (nes)
Mario 3 (nes)
Mario 2 (nes)
Mega Man III
Kirby's dreamland (gb)
Kirby's pinball land (gb)
Game genie with mini code book (gb)
Super Mario land 3 (wario land). (gb)
Zelda: oracle of seasons (gb)

So I repurchased most of the nes stuff (the gb stuff I still don't have).

Visited my Dad last month. Guess what was on his shelf?

All the nes games in the list above.

Still have no idea what happened to my gb titles and game genie.

To add insult to injury I was able to find the box and manual to much of the above. Including Oracle of seasons.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:53:39 pm by dashv »