Author Topic: Best jrpg you have ever played?  (Read 10344 times)

Re: Best jrpg you have ever played?
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2014, 01:35:28 pm »
Either of you guys played VP: CotP (DS)?

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on that one too (sitting in my backlog)...

I don't believe I've played Vampire Princess: Courtship of the Plesiosaur for the DS. 

Has anyone else ever played [acronym]?

Warmsignal

« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »

I don't believe I've played Vampire Princess: Courtship of the Plesiosaur for the DS.

Is that a rare NIS SRPG?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2014, 01:59:08 pm »

I don't believe I've played Vampire Princess: Courtship of the Plesiosaur for the DS

Has anyone else ever played [acronym]?

Well, since me & the 2 other (aka "either of you other guys") were/had been talking about "Valkyrie Profile" games...the "VP" part of the 'acronym' should have been pretty self-explanatory to the guys I was talking to *AND* ==> moving on...(considering that there was only 1 "VP" game released on the "DS"); the rest also would have been pretty easy to figure out  8)

Since you asked so nicely & because your burning desire for comprehension is obviously overwhelming -

the game ('acronym') in question was/is

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume...on the DS  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2014, 04:17:04 pm »
Even though I have barely gotten anywhere with the Disgaea series, I like to collect the games, and appreciate the series. I think 3 has been my favorite so far; I actually started out playing it on a Vita, and really loved the smart sense of comedy. xD

But, by far, Fire Emblem: Awakening has to be my current favorite. While the story does lack a bit, the game as a whole is generally excellent. Definitely can't wait for the next one. ^w^

(Honorable mention goes to the Persona series. I like it, and would like to collect all the games, but 3 is a bit too lengthy/grindy to be labeled as my favorite. xD I'm really close to finishing P3P, and hope to finish it soon so I can break open Golden on my Vita! Since I haven't played any of the other ones really, I'd like to try those out as well, eventually. )

dreama1

« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:24 am »
Even though I have barely gotten anywhere with the Disgaea series, I like to collect the games, and appreciate the series. I think 3 has been my favorite so far; I actually started out playing it on a Vita, and really loved the smart sense of comedy. xD

But, by far, Fire Emblem: Awakening has to be my current favorite. While the story does lack a bit, the game as a whole is generally excellent. Definitely can't wait for the next one. ^w^

(Honorable mention goes to the Persona series. I like it, and would like to collect all the games, but 3 is a bit too lengthy/grindy to be labeled as my favorite. xD I'm really close to finishing P3P, and hope to finish it soon so I can break open Golden on my Vita! Since I haven't played any of the other ones really, I'd like to try those out as well, eventually. )
Which disgaea game do you recommend starting with on the ps3?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:01 am »
Believe it or not - I'm also a fan of the Disgaea series :P

MY recommendation & suggestion (if you're only interested in the PS3 games), would be:

1st play Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness (because, it's the same characters from the 1st game on the PS2 (arguably the best game in the series) but - more importantly for newcomers to the series...it's BY FAR the most polished & accessible game in the series,

2nd play Disgaea 4 (because I like it better than D3), and

3rd play Disgaea 3 because, while known as the weakest & least popular game in the series...IMO, it's not a "bad" game and it's still worth playing (*Last*).  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2014, 11:59:56 am »

I *own* it.... ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »

MY recommendation & suggestion (if you're only interested in the PS3 games), would be:

1st play Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness (because, it's the same characters from the 1st game on the PS2 (arguably the best game in the series) but - more importantly for newcomers to the series...it's BY FAR the most polished & accessible game in the series,

3rd play Disgaea 3 because, while known as the weakest & least popular game in the series...IMO, it's not a "bad" game and it's still worth playing (*Last*).  8)

Really, you are too??? ;D xD

I haven't played D2, but I wouldn't doubt that that'd be a good place to start.

Personally, I actually thought 3 had the most attractive story. While the whole 'High School' thing has been overdone by now, I loved the sort of backwards-logic surrounding the idea of having to become a good student to be the ultimate bad student. That just really caught my attention for some reason. XD

I'm just not a big fan of 4's story so far. It's not bad, but it doesn't have that same sort of 'mental stimulation' that 3's idea caused me to have.

But again, I've never gotten more than 20 hours into any given entry, so yeah. xD

For the OP, just don't get discouraged, as there really is a bit of a learning curve to the game (heck, even I still get a bit confused by geo-blocks sometimes). But I'd say it's worth it, as I think Disgaea just serves as a really good model of how to make a solid game. The humor isn't always up my alley, but I like to admire it.

Oh, and all the games are available on either the PSP or Vita, so if you have one (and prefer handhelds) that's another viable option. They also generally have a bit of extra content as well.

abe

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2014, 01:30:47 pm »

I agree completely. This is the best order to play them in... if for some reason you want to ignore the PS2 entries or the improved handheld ports.

It would be really cool if the original Disgaea got an actual remake (and not just a port with added features) for the PS3, so it plays more like D2. Though I suppose NIS has moved on to the PS4 now, with the impending release of Disgaea 5. So... change that to a PS4 remake then! ;D
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)