Author Topic: Club Nintendo platinum/gold reward 2014 are out  (Read 6785 times)

karyann

Club Nintendo platinum/gold reward 2014 are out
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:38:33 am »
Looks like it's only downloadable games this year  :( I liked having some cool Nintendo merchandise to expect for Christmas. Oh well, I'll probably get either NES Remix or Dr Luigi, since they're download-only games anyway!

https://club.nintendo.com/elite-status-gifts.do

What are you guys thinking of getting?

jcalder8

Re: Club Nintendo platinum/gold reward 2014 are out
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:06 am »
I'm really disappointed in this :(

I'll get either NES Remix or Donkey Kong for the 3DS. But I was really looking forward to something physical. I won't be trying for it again this year.

abe

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:10:06 am »
Seriously, this is all we get? :o No obligatory Gold Level calendar award even?! I didn't think it could get this bad. Since I don't have a WiiU and only have Gold this year, I'm limited to a choice Donkey Kong 3, Wario Land II, Metroid, & Super Mario Land 2. Except, I have an actual copy of Super Mario Land 2, so that's not really a good option either. Is this what Club Nintendo has turned into? Downloadable games for rewards only? :'( Now I'm not so disappointed about not making Platinum this year.
I guess I'll go with Wario Land II...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:11:59 am by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:26 am »
Way to go Nintendo!  You reward people for buying your games buy giving them more games... that they've already bought.    :-\

argyle

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:23 am »
Meh. I mean, the obligatory "it's great that they give us anything at all", but still - this is a definite step down.  Heck, if the Platinum games had been full Wii U games, even if they just re-hashed the ones they gave away with Mario Kart, that would be a *little* better.  :-\

I guess I'm choosing between NES Remix, Earthbound & Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.  Wish Earthbound was 3DS, that would make the decision easier.  DKCR is the most expensive of the 3, but it's also the only one with a physical version - plus, I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather just have the Wii version of that.  Do NES Remix & Earthbound both cost the same? 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 09:32:47 am »
Meh. I mean, the obligatory "it's great that they give us anything at all", but still - this is a definite step down.  Heck, if the Platinum games had been full Wii U games, even if they just re-hashed the ones they gave away with Mario Kart, that would be a *little* better.  :-\

I guess I'm choosing between NES Remix, Earthbound & Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.  Wish Earthbound was 3DS, that would make the decision easier.  DKCR is the most expensive of the 3, but it's also the only one with a physical version - plus, I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather just have the Wii version of that.  Do NES Remix & Earthbound both cost the same?

It definitely is great that we get anything at all, but it's hard not to be disappointed when you compare the the rewards to previous years. The whole point of Club Nintendo is cool exclusive rewards, not stuff we could've bought whenever we wanted.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

karyann

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:42:58 am »
I went for NES Remix in the end. I never really liked Dr Mario, and Game & Wario/DKC are physical too so I didn't want them.  :-\ Guess I'll finally know what NES Remix is like.

By the way, if you already have all the games, they send you a download code, so you can at least get the priciest and sell the code.

argyle

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:55:59 am »
It definitely is great that we get anything at all, but it's hard not to be disappointed when you compare the the rewards to previous years. The whole point of Club Nintendo is cool exclusive rewards, not stuff we could've bought whenever we wanted.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  It seems the really good platinum rewards went away as soon as I started earning platinum status (last year - tho last year's choices were much better than this year's).

By the way, if you already have all the games, they send you a download code, so you can at least get the priciest and sell the code.

I may do this, because honestly nothing on that list is really that appealing to me.  SNES games should be playable on the 3DS, that's the platform better suited to them IMO. And I know this is sacrilege from a JRPG fan, but even tho I've never played it nothing I've ever seen of Earthbound has really seemed that appealing to me. :-\ I don't think NES Remix would hold my interest for long either, especially since I don't enjoy going back & playing NES games anyway. There are eshop games I want, such as Minish Cap & Code of Princess, but none of those are included of course.  ::)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

karyann

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:04:57 am »
If I'd known they gave a download code, I probably would have gotten DKC and sold the code haha. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't, if NES Remix is as fun as they say.

blipcs76

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 10:24:55 am »
Really disappointing, to the point that I might not even bother registering my points in the future.  The list of available rewards is down to like 5 items and the gold/platinum rewards are downloads.

I managed to hit gold and was expecting the calendar, at least.  So I can download a NES game that I already have.  yay

Boo.

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 10:36:20 am »
While it is disappointing, I'm not surprised at all. I've been saying that Club Nintendo (as we know it, anyway) seems to be going away. The only worthwhile regular rewards are downloads, and it's been that way for a long time. Now Gold and Platinum level rewards have followed suit.  I really don't expect any new physical rewards ever again, at least nothing anyone would actually want. I am curious to see what Japan got though, they always get way better stuff than us.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

bobster

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 10:40:22 am »
This is my first year doing the Club Nintendo thing and this is pretty disappointing. Oh well. Better than nothing.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

soera

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 10:55:34 am »
I dont think its better than nothing. For me, it fucking sucks cause I had to buy points to get platinum this year. And there isnt a single option on there that I would have any remote interest in. I could have saved money and just bought the downloads myself. Fuck Club Nintendo.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 11:35:04 am »
I would have been happier if they would have just given me an eShop credit.  Just give me $10 or $15 to spend on whatever I want.  That way, when something comes out that I don't have; I can use my Platinum Reward.

soera

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 11:45:04 am »
Even that would have been better than forced downloads that you only have a month to use.