Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Imports  (Read 18359 times)

abe

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Imports
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »
Lots has happened over the past few days with the Tokyo Game Show, I've got lots to add now to the post to catch up. Hopefully I'll manage. :)

I'd like to point out first that Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3: V Century has been announced for the PS Vita. ;D I'm particularly excited because it is very likely we'll see this one localized, given the history of the series.

I gotta admit, I'm *very* tempted to trade/sell my other 2 Nep games on the PS3 in favor of just getting the "upgraded" series - especially since I plan on getting a Playstation (Vita) TV at some point and will be able to play them on the big screen with a controller anyway.  Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?  :)

Well, HDN Re;Birth3 isn't going to be as much of an upgrade over the console versions as Re;Birth1 and 2 were, so it's more of a port than a remake. If I wasn't a fan of the series, I wouldn't see much of a reason to get Re;Birth3 if you already have HDN Victory (my personal favorite in the series so far). Of course, since I am a fan I'm going to buy and play them all. The HDN Re;Birth series was meant to make the first two games more like HDN Victory, which is the game Re;Birth3 is be based off of. Unless you're a fan of the series, swapping out HDN and HDN Mk.2 for HDN Re;Birth1 and 2 isn't a bad idea. One thing to note is that while the main plot of the remakes are more are less the same as the originals, the story is changed a wee bit here and there.

(Short answer) For you personally it's really not a bad idea.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2014, 07:22:42 pm »
Lots has happened over the past few days with the Tokyo Game Show, I've got lots to add now to the post to catch up. Hopefully I'll manage. :)

I'd like to point out first that Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3: V Century has been announced for the PS Vita. ;D I'm particularly excited because it is very likely we'll see this one localized, given the history of the series.

I gotta admit, I'm *very* tempted to trade/sell my other 2 Nep games on the PS3 in favor of just getting the "upgraded" series - especially since I plan on getting a Playstation (Vita) TV at some point and will be able to play them on the big screen with a controller anyway.  Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?  :)

Well, HDN Re;Birth3 isn't going to be as much of an upgrade over the console versions as Re;Birth1 and 2 were, so it's more of a port than a remake. If I wasn't a fan of the series, I wouldn't see much of a reason to get Re;Birth3 if you already have HDN Victory (my personal favorite in the series so far). Of course, since I am a fan I'm going to buy and play them all. The HDN Re;Birth series was meant to make the first two games more like HDN Victory, which is the game Re;Birth3 is be based off of. Unless you're a fan of the series, swapping out HDN and HDN Mk.2 for HDN Re;Birth1 and 2 isn't a bad idea. One thing to note is that while the main plot of the remakes are more are less the same as the originals, the story is changed a wee bit here and there.

Hrm, well even if HDN3 doesn't get much of an upgrade I'd prefer to have them all on the same system.  I'll think about it some more, but after confirming that the Re;Birth games do in fact run on the Vita TV I'm leaning towards doing it.  Not seeing a downside.  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »

Hrm, well even if HDN3 doesn't get much of an upgrade I'd prefer to have them all on the same system.  I'll think about it some more, but after confirming that the Re;Birth games do in fact run on the Vita TV I'm leaning towards doing it.  Not seeing a downside.  :)

I've just learned that Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 will not be compatible with the Playstation TV on its launch in North America. Might want to keep that in mind before you go and sell or trade your PS3 versions.

abe

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2014, 07:13:06 am »
It's been a while since I've updated this thread, seems like not too much has been going on lately in terms of game announcements. Today, I do have some announcements though. :)
Sword Art Online: Lost Song has been announced for the PS3 and PS Vita. The game is due out in 2015. Here's the official trailer:

Since I've last updated the main post these games have released:
Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo Danganronpa Another Episode (PS Vita)
Fatal Frame: The Raven Haired Shrine Maiden (WiiU)
Forbidden Magna (3DS)
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix Limited Edition (PS3)

argyle

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2014, 10:32:26 am »
Two pretty interesting rumored/leaked compilations:

The USK, Germany’s game rating board, has rated a “Hyperdimension Neptunia Hypercollection” for PlayStation 4.

Another title, “The Arland Trilogy,” was also rated for PlayStation 3.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/12/hyperdimension-neptunia-hypercollection-rated-ps4-germany#0HgJ7sO7ivQCk0Rw.99

Hope those are legit & they come to the US! :D
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

abe

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2014, 10:39:17 am »
Two pretty interesting rumored/leaked compilations:

The USK, Germany’s game rating board, has rated a “Hyperdimension Neptunia Hypercollection” for PlayStation 4.

Another title, “The Arland Trilogy,” was also rated for PlayStation 3.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/12/hyperdimension-neptunia-hypercollection-rated-ps4-germany#0HgJ7sO7ivQCk0Rw.99

Hope those are legit & they come to the US! :D

Interesting, I hope hope they reach North America (the US isn't the only country over here ;)) as well.

Wow, I've been neglecting this thread for a while. I got busy and forgot about it. :( I'll have to fix it up and update things after I'm finished my finals this week.

abe

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 09:22:24 am »
Welp, I think I might try to revive this thread. Finally. It's super out of date now, but I want to try to keep up with the news again. As I've said before, any help from y'all is appreciated. :)

Here's some news for you today now that I'm reviving this thread:
-IA/VT Colorful (PS Vita) has been given a new final release after it was delayed from last time. The game is now set for release in Japan on June 25th. Let's hope it doesn't get delayed again.
-Corpse Party Blood Covered Repeated Fear is being adapted for release on the 3DS.
-Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge (PS Vita) is an adventure/visual novel game set to be released in Japan on July 30th.

argyle

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 09:51:59 am »
This is more-or-less rumor I suppose, or at the most confirmation of something that will probably happen? Anyway, this has me really excited:

While Granzella is hard at work on Disaster Report, many wonder if any other Irem franchises will get the Granzella revival treatment.

“I receive questions like, ‘When are you going to announce a Steambot Chronicles sequel?'” Kujo said. “We have deep love for the games, but right now I can only promise Disaster Report.”

Well, even that’s good enou—

“April Fools! Of course we’ll do it.”

Well, alright then, Kujo.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/02/next-disaster-report-will-online-elements-granzella-talks-steambot-chronicles#EP15eTMMLa8urfk0.99

abe

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2015, 06:21:38 pm »
I updated the op, fixing some some and added a recently released section (like in Argyle's thread).

I also added Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden (3DS) to the op. There have been no shortage of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z related games over the years, but this one stands out in particular (at least to me it does). What makes this Dragon Ball Z game special is that it's being developed by Arc System Works, the same developer that's brought us the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue series. Some of the recent Dragon Ball games have been a bit meh, but I think this one has great potential. :)

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2015, 07:02:19 pm »
I updated the op, fixing some some and added a recently released section (like in Argyle's thread).

I also added Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden (3DS) to the op. There have been no shortage of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z related games over the years, but this one stands out in particular (at least to me it does). What makes this Dragon Ball Z game special is that it's being developed by Arc System Works, the same developer that's brought us the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue series. Some of the recent Dragon Ball games have been a bit meh, but I think this one has great potential. :)

Really hoping it gets localized.  2D DBZ fighter by Arc System? That's just too good lol Not sure about a fighting game on the 3DS, but I'll take it since DBZ games are so poor these days.

abe

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2015, 07:23:17 pm »

Really hoping it gets localized.  2D DBZ fighter by Arc System? That's just too good lol Not sure about a fighting game on the 3DS, but I'll take it since DBZ games are so poor these days.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse looks like it could be pretty cool, but last year's Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z was pretty dissapointing. Hopefully Extreme Butoden will deliver. If anyone can make a proper 2D DBZ fighting game, Arc System Works definitely can. Based on the game's name, Extreme Butoden could be similar to the Dragon Ball Z Butoden games for the Super Famicom. I'm looking forward to seeing more info and some trailers for the game, and I'll be sure to post one or two here when they're released.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:26:12 pm by abe »

argyle

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2015, 08:36:05 am »
I've never been a big Dragonball Z fan, but I was definitely interested when I heard Arc System Works was developing a new fighter...until I saw it was for the 3DS. I don't really care for fighters on a portable, seems like a waste to me. :\

abe

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2015, 11:02:34 am »
New (and some old) game announcements!

-Death Beneath the Labyrinth (PS Vita) - This game is currently being developed by Compile Heart, and details are scarce at the moment. According to the game's teaser website, more details will be revealed on the game in a couple days.

-Raygigant (PS Vita) - This one's a dungeon crawler developed collaboratively by Experience and Bandai Namco. The story revolves around a relatively small cast of three main characters and is set in a dystopian future where the earth has been destroyed by a monster known as the "gigant". The game is set to release in Japan this summer.

-Tokyo Xanadu (PS Vita) - This one is an action-RPG developed by Falcom and is due out in Japan some time later this year. It looks pretty promising so far, and if we're lucky it will see a North American release eventually.

*Edit: Here's a purdy new IA/VT Colorful gameplay trailer.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:17:31 am by abe »

abe

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2015, 09:23:14 pm »
Danganronpa 3 has been announced to be in early stages of development! Seeing as we've gotten the first two for the Vita, and are getting the spinoff as well, it's only a matter of time before this one gets announced for localization as well. For now though, I'll put it in this thread since it's relevant.

In other news, a game based of the anime series Psycho-Pass has been announced for the Xbone, and a sequel to Inticreates' Gal☆Gun has been announced (platform not yet announced). Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness is a visual novel being developed by 5pb., and Gal☆Gun's sequel will presumably be another on-rails shooter.

abe

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2015, 11:01:11 am »
Two new Neptunia spinoffs have been announced for release on the PS Vita, Extreme Dimension Tag Blanc + Neptune VS Zombie Army and Hyperdimension Great War Neptune Vs. Sega Hardware Girls. There's not a great deal of info on them yet, but Blanc's game will have some kind of multiplayer, and from what little gameplay I've seen, it also looks similar to the Monster Hunter franchise. There's even less info on Great War Neptune, and the only notable thing I've heard is that it will feature characters from Sega Hardware Girls series, where Sega consoles are depicted as goddesses (similar to the Neptunia franchise, but specifically for Sega consoles).

Here's some gameplay for Blanc's game