Author Topic: August 2014 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 29254 times)

argyle

Re: August 2014 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2014, 11:08:32 am »
Been meaning to pick up this game for awhile now, so for a late run at the flea market, decided to finally grab it.  I'm curious if the guns and destruction still hold up, because it was so good when it came out.

I've hesitated replaying this game for the same reason.  I have really fond memories of it, but I'm afraid it won't hold up after all the shooters I've played since then.  So I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it now.  :)

Got some cheap Wii games today.
-Baroque
-Castlevania Judgement
-Wario Land: Shake It!

Nice, I've been looking for a copy of Baroque with no luck.

I will have to post some pics of my weekend haul tonight.  Got back from my World's Longest Yard Sale trip yesterday and was wiped.  It was a mixed bag; we had fun and I got some decent pick-ups but if it was solely looked at as a trip to find deals and not a trip for fun (which it was both) then it wasn't worth the time, gas & fighting the crowds for what I got.  Plus since I couldn't start until Sat. morning because of work & then rain, I probably missed most of the deals that were there in the first place.  I know one lady told me EVERYONE had been asking for video games when I asked if she had any.  But in spite of that I got a few nice pickups and we had fun, so no regrets.  Plus I got to revisit that incredible used game/book/movie/music store in Chattanooga that I went to earlier this year, and I grabbed some things I've been looking for there for great prices.  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2014, 12:45:27 pm »
Bought Persona 4 Arena (PS3) for $10 at a big electronics store, nothing special there. Afterwards, I went to a thrift store and got these for 75 cents each:
-Dungeon Keeper 2 (PC)
-Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
-Myst (PC)
-Nuclear Strike (PS1)
I'm really looking forward to playing Myst and Dungeon Keeper 2. I really enjoyed Dungeon Keeper Gold, hopefully DK2 doesn't let me down.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:55:36 pm by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2014, 01:02:12 pm »
Bought Persona 4 Arena (PS3) for $10 at a big electronics store, nothing special there. Afterwards, I went to a thrift store and got these for 75 cents each:
-Dungeon Keeper 2 (PC)
-Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)
-Myst (PC)
-Nuclear Strike (PS1)
I'm really looking forward to playing Myst and Dungeon Keeper 2. I really enjoyed Dungeon Keeper Gold, hopefully DK2 doesn't let me down.

Dungeon Keeper 2 is one of my all-time favorite PC games.  I was a HUGE Bullfrog fan as a kid - Mollyneux hasn't done anything since that comes close to the games he made as part of that team. 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

soera

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »
Well, it happened. After being on pre-order for nearly a year, my Retron 5 arrived on my porch today. Im so shocked that I still havent even opened it up yet.

Surprise! It's not a Retron! It's actually a toaster.

Sadly, thats what it feels like right now. I plugged it into my TV but the controller does not want to recognize the system. Ive had it charging for at least 2 hours now and when I try to do anything with it, it just blinks and turns back off. Sigh.

*Update* Well, it seems that the controllers themselves are not synced to the system upon release (at least this one wasnt). I got my NES controller out and went to settings and clicked on pair controller and it is now synced up. :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:05:17 pm by soera »

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »
Went out and feel like I scored pretty well today. You can read about my finds of the day at http://imgur.com/a/s2hr8

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2014, 05:52:36 pm »
I've hesitated replaying this game for the same reason.  I have really fond memories of it, but I'm afraid it won't hold up after all the shooters I've played since then.  So I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it now.  :)

Ehhh, yeah it doesn't hold up quite as well as we remember lol It's not bad, it's a very reasonable shooter, but the destruction and weapon audio I remember wasn't as good as I thought it was, though the story was just as throwaway as I remember.  It takes it self SOOOOO seriously lol The destruction can still be fun and it's like a Michael Bay film with even more explosions, but the campaign gets abit boring after a few levels.  Also the controls are really sluggish movement wise which makes it a tad annoying.  It's still alright if you just want a big explosive shoot em up.

argyle

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2014, 06:00:29 pm »

Ehhh, yeah it doesn't hold up quite as well as we remember lol It's not bad, it's a very reasonable shooter, but the destruction and weapon audio I remember wasn't as good as I thought it was, though the story was just as throwaway as I remember.  It takes it self SOOOOO seriously lol The destruction can still be fun and it's like a Michael Bay film with even more explosions, but the campaign gets abit boring after a few levels.  Also the controls are really sluggish movement wise which makes it a tad annoying.  It's still alright if you just want a big explosive shoot em up.

Gotcha, I'll just keep that one as a good memory then.  ;)

OK, here's my weekend haul.  I've split it into 2 parts (well 3 pics, but that was more due to space ;) ) - what I got from yard sales doing the World's Longest Yard Sale, and what I got from Gamestops & used stores along the way.  First 2 pics are from yard sales:

IMG_4026

IMG_4027

Phantasmagoria, Jedi Knight 2 (sealed), the Aqua Teen dvd set & the Blinky plush were from the same sale, $6 total.  BTW, I have no interest in that Jedi Knight 2, just grabbed it because it was cheap & sealed, so if someone who collects pc stuff wants to trade me a little something for it I'll be happy to let it go.  :)

The Genesis was $3, no a/v cords and I don't think that's the right power cord for it either.  It was raining and they had let it get wet, so they let me have it cheap since who knows if it will actually work or not. 

Conker: Live & Reloaded and Champions of Norrath (case but no manual :( ) were $1/each.  Both disks are fairly rough but I tested Conker and it plays fine - haven't tested Champions yet.  Sold Conker already, actually, because I hate that game - but I'm no fool, I'm well aware of its value.  :P 

Rock Band 3 they also let get wet which ruined the insert (I have it, removed it to let it dry but it's basically destroyed).  But when I asked her what she wanted for it she told me $0.50 - so I couldn't pay her fast enough.  That game is $30+ all day long, and I need it for my RB collection.  Looks like I can get a insert off of the 'bay for $4.00 or so shipped, so if I'm out around $5 all said & done I'm STILL coming out like a bandit. 

The 2 Hot Shots games are complete & in great condition, they were $3/each.  They had a ton more PS2 games but all sports/Nascar/hunting. 

My biggest haul was a Wii bundle.  The Wii isn't pictured because my mom has it now.  See, I gave the Wii I modded to be able to play the Xenoblade import to my mom a while back, but she hates the fact that it's modded because the menu is slightly different and she can't use Netflix on it.  I hate that I don't have my modded system anymore.  ;)  So I've been looking for a good deal on one for her so I could get mine back.  Everything in this bundle was in immaculate collection - this kid apparently takes care of his stuff like I do, and that's saying something.  ;)  I got the system w/ manual & all cables/sensor bar, 2 Wii Motion + controllers, 2 nunchucks, Punch Out!! (only good game he had but I've been looking for that one :) ), the Resident Evil bundle for PS2, Spider-Man 2 also for PS2 and the Spongebob plug & play game for $50 total.  I thought that was a pretty good deal.  :) 

Oh, and the Gary toy I found at a sale for a dime - I have 4 (now 5) of the 8 of those Spongebob "square" toys from McDonalds, so I was happy to find another.  Now for my store purchases:

IMG_4028

The giant used game/book/movie/music store in Chattanooga that we've found is called McKay's.  It's a really nice place.  As for their games, for the stuff that Gamestop still carries often their prices will be more expensive (but their games are also typically in better shape) - sometimes by just a couple bucks or so, sometimes much more.  On two tho they were significantly lower - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 & The Orange Box both for PS3.  Gamestop charges $45 & $35 used for those respectively, I paid $28 & $20.  Both like new.  At the same store I also grabbed The Conduit for $5, Viking for $8 and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for $13.  All of those were mint as well.

The rest came from 3 different Gamestops.  Don't remember most of these prices.  ;)  They are Klonoa (Wii) (why didn't someone TELL me they remade the original Klonoa for the Wii???  >:(  :P ), Fishing Resort (Wii), Little King's Story (Wii), Pinball Hall of Fame (PS3), Venetica (PS3) and Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (PS3).  All of those except for Gundam were games I have been looking for with no luck, Gundam was an impulse buy because it was cheap & I don't remember seeing it locally.  The rest were cart-only DS games: Metroid Pinball (this one works!! :D), Sands of Time, Witch's Wish, Space Invaders Extreme 2, Prey the Sun, Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals & Meteos: Disney Magic.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2014, 02:05:47 am »
Metroid Prime Pinball and Punch Out Wii are great titles!

karyann

« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »
Finally put my hands on Catherine and Afrika!  ;D I'm really glad. I also found 2 copies of Dokapon Journey, so I took one for trading. Desocietas already called dibs on the extra copy, but I think EBG/GS might have one copy if anyone else also wants one.

jcalder8

« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2014, 10:26:05 pm »
Finally put my hands on Catherine and Afrika!  ;D I'm really glad. I also found 2 copies of Dokapon Journey, so I took one for trading. Desocietas already called dibs on the extra copy, but I think EBG/GS might have one copy if anyone else also wants one.
Another copy? I'd be ALL over that!

Great pick up with Afrika, very unique and enjoyable game.

thekosmickollector

« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2014, 06:50:01 am »
Last Tuesday was a very special day for me, for it marked the day where I got my first big-box PC game! It was Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun, in excellent condition and I found it sat lonely on a random piece of furniture in a charity shop for £3, so that's pretty frickin' awesome! Oh, and in the box there was a disc in a plastic wallet, International Cricket Captain 2000 from the Xplosiv range. Is that a thing that came with all copies of C&C: TS or did I just end up getting a random 2 for 1 deal?
 Also picked up these games over the past couple of weeks:
(PS1)
Gran Turismo 2 (which turned out to be the US version, so unfortnately I cannot play it :( ) - £1
Quake II - £3
Tomorrow Never Dies - £1
THPS 2 - £3

(PS2)
Aggressive Inline - 50p
The Getaway: Black Monday - 50p
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - 50p
The Warriors - 50p

(PS3)
Skate 2 - £3

(PC)
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 - £2
Toy Story: Screen Scenes (an odd little screensaver software, I think) - £1

And some other random non-gaming-but-still-cool stuff :P

abe

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2014, 09:11:43 am »
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle (PS3)
-Bangai-O Spirits (DS)
-Namco Museum (GBA)
-Xevious - Classic NES Series (GBA)
-PS1 Dualshock Controller
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2014, 09:24:31 am »
Metroid Prime Pinball and Punch Out Wii are great titles!

I've only had a chance to play a couple minutes of MPP so far, testing it out.  But I can already say I loved what I played!  I'm becoming quite a video pinball aficionado it seems, hence the reason I've been trying to track down that collection for the PS3. 

« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2014, 08:13:51 pm »

Picked up Crisis Force!!
 ...and something else.

numing

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2014, 01:35:17 pm »
Another Code: R for the Wii
Metal Gear Rising for the PS3
Chocobo Tales for the DS

I also took a dive and got a PS Vita Slim, with Tearaway and Rayman Origins. Birthday money well spent, I'd say!