Author Topic: Do you buy HD compilations? What do you do with the originals?  (Read 2513 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

So... Been going through my collection and a lot of my stuff has now been superseded by spiffier versions.

Beyond Good and Evil
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (GBA)
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix
Metriod Prime
Metriod Prime 2
Metriod Prime 3
Metriod Prime Trilogy
Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)

Getting the HD and collectors editions is nice but I can't decide what to do with the now obsolete ones.

I'm sure some of you deal with the same thing as your collection grows. What do you folks do... And why?

Re: Do you buy HD compilations? What do you do with the originals?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:10:28 am »
I keep them for show, that's what being a collector is all about after all.
Speaking of, I own 3 different versions of MGS2
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2 [EU]
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - Xbox [EU]
  • Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - PS3 [EU]
And in about a weeks time, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - Ultimate Collector's Edition - PS2 [EU] will be at my doorstep. Can't wait to try out that extra document DVD.

scott

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:26:27 am »
I actually prefer the originals to the HD collections. I do have a couple, but I'd rather play the original game on original hardware.  That's why I bought Beyond Good & Evil on PS2 and why I'm watching for Ico and Shadow of Colossus on PS2 as well.

I have the Metal Gear Solid HD collection and as much as I played the originals on PS2, I've maybe only played 20 minutes of either MGS2 or MGS3 on it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:33:41 am »
I actually prefer the originals to the HD collections. I do have a couple, but I'd rather play the original game on original hardware.  That's why I bought Beyond Good & Evil on PS2 and why I'm watching for Ico and Shadow of Colossus on PS2 as well.

I have the Metal Gear Solid HD collection and as much as I played the originals on PS2, I've maybe only played 20 minutes of either MGS2 or MGS3 on it.

If you want the best original Beyond a Good and Evil the XBox version is the definitive one to get. Best graphics and frame rate.

scott

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:08:24 am »
I've not had any issues with BG&E on PS2, graphics or frame rate wise. Though some of the levels are pretty dark and I've needed to turn the light off in the game room when I'm playing in order to see what I was doing. Plus I prefer the Dual Shock 2 to the original Xbox controller.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:19:47 am »
I've not had any issues with BG&E on PS2, graphics or frame rate wise. Though some of the levels are pretty dark and I've needed to turn the light off in the game room when I'm playing in order to see what I was doing. Plus I prefer the Dual Shock 2 to the original Xbox controller.

Fair enough. I use the HD kit to play xbox. The difference between xbox and PS2 graphics is quite significant. I totally agree that the stock controllers are meh. I have two wireless mad cats mini controllers.

Mini=sized for a normal human being. :)

argyle

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:26 am »
Guess I'm the odd man out, I almost always sell or trade the old versions when I get an upgraded one.  Sold my PS2 KH games last year when the HD sets were announced, same w/ my PS2 MGS games, ICO, the R&C games, the J&D games (except for Jak X Racing, which of course wasn't ported), etc.  It's very rare that I'll keep multiple versions of a game, and if I do it's because I *really* like the game.  Heck, I even sold my DC Skies of Arcadia because it was redundant with my GC copy. 

I currently have the PS2 Okami as well as the PS3 HD port, and I'll pick up the Wii port once it gets cheap enough.  I'd also like to import the physical PS3 copy that's in English.  Oh, and I still have my PS2 FFX/X-2 even tho I have the HD set.  Those are the only ones off the top of my head that I can think of that I kept. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:44 am »
If I like a game enough to buy an HD version/compilation when I already own an original copy, then I probably like it enough to keep it after getting the HD version. I like having lots of options for how to play my games. Though now that I think about it, the only HD compilations I currently own are for games I don't have the original versions of. :P
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

thekosmickollector

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 10:41:54 am »
For me it depends on the quality of the remake. Sometimes (like with the Silent Hill collection) they kinda mess it up so it's always neat to have the original as back-up incase the remake is subpar

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 01:02:07 pm »
I don't have an HD T.V. so no.  :(

soera

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:57 pm »
Guess I'm the odd man out, I almost always sell or trade the old versions when I get an upgraded one. It's very rare that I'll keep multiple versions of a game, and if I do it's because I *really* like the game. 

This is me. I really dont find the need to own more than 1 copy of almost any game unless it fits another part of my collection as well.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 09:06:28 pm »
Guess I'm the odd man out, I almost always sell or trade the old versions when I get an upgraded one. It's very rare that I'll keep multiple versions of a game, and if I do it's because I *really* like the game. 

This is me. I really dont find the need to own more than 1 copy of almost any game unless it fits another part of my collection as well.

I am leaning toward getting rid of the dupes myself. With Metroid I do intend to keep the originals because I like the title screens on the originals and the trilogy dropped them.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 09:45:15 pm »

I am leaning toward getting rid of the dupes myself. With Metroid I do intend to keep the originals because I like the title screens on the originals and the trilogy dropped them.

I MUST HOARD THEM ALL!!!

Seriously, I keep them all.  However, I've used all of these HD collections to catch up on games I never played. So, it's not much of an issue for me.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:09 pm »
I have mixed feelings about these HD collections. In the case of some of the Survival Horror ones they've made, they've ruined some of the atmosphere rather then enhance it. However, I still think most of these HD collections are cool and do buy them. But, just in case I keep the original versions too.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 12:46:03 am »
I have mixed feelings about these HD collections. In the case of some of the Survival Horror ones they've made, they've ruined some of the atmosphere rather then enhance it. However, I still think most of these HD collections are cool and do buy them. But, just in case I keep the original versions too.

I hear ya. For example. I have:

Resident Evil Remake for GC
But I am getting:
Resident Evil Directors Cut PS

I actually intend to play that one with my 11 year old so he can see the cheesy as hell acting and voice overs.

With Shadow of the Colossus the HD remake is so good I have no intention of ever playing the PS2 version ever again.

Same thing with FFX and Kingdom Hearts.

I'm going to go for the HD versions of those every time.

My problem is I collect what I plan to play... But then a souped up version comes along that sometimes is waaaaaaaaay better. So I get it... But I can bring myself to let go of the now defunct one. Even though it could buy me more games. :P

They probably be easier to let go of for an even trade. But those require just the right circumstances to pull off.