Author Topic: Arcade Cabinet Collecting  (Read 4318 times)

dstone

PRO Supporter

Re: Arcade Cabinet Collecting
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 10:46:36 am »
That's about what I figured for my Mario Bros. narrow body. But, like you said, it's the project. That's what I discovered with my MAME cocktail; it was more fun to build it than to play it. I eventually traded it off for two real machines.

scott

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:52:14 am »
That's what I discovered with my MAME cocktail; it was more fun to build it than to play it. I

As much as I love my mame cab, I look at it and think of how I could improve it. But I could never bring myself to tear it down and redo it. Its 100% custom and glued together so there is no tearing it apart without ruining something.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »
As much as I love my mame cab, I look at it and think of how I could improve it. But I could never bring myself to tear it down and redo it. Its 100% custom and glued together so there is no tearing it apart without ruining something.

That's part of the reason I traded mine off. The other guy had no problem tearing into it; he did a pretty nice job with the updates (arcade quality LCD, better speakers, new controls, all that mess).

I'm looking forward to starting another machine, but I think this one will be dedicated to a single game. Just wish I could arrange my schedule to allow me to put more time into it.

scott

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:40:12 pm »
My problem is I treated it like a big art project and its my baby so any drastic structure changes I'd never bring myself to do. I've rewired it a few times and done internal work, no problem.

The other thing I was thinking was to eventually build a second with a horizontal screen and split my list of games in two. One for vert and one for horz. But that means having my own place.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 01:47:26 pm »
The other thing I was thinking was to eventually build a second with a horizontal screen and split my list of games in two. One for vert and one for horz. But that means having my own place.

'Cause then they'll start breeding. :D

scott

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 01:49:43 pm »
You know, I think I'd be happy with 2 mame cabs. Especially if each one is dedicated to a specific screen orientation.

darko

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 04:10:26 pm »
That's about what I figured for my Mario Bros. narrow body. But, like you said, it's the project. That's what I discovered with my MAME cocktail; it was more fun to build it than to play it. I eventually traded it off for two real machines.

Mine is the wide body. Does that make a difference? I know virtually nothing about cab collecting.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 09:13:41 pm »
@darko I don't think it really matters. Same board set and all but the control panel, marquee and bezel are wider.

jcalder8

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:00 pm »
I have had the most luck with Kijiji and Craigslist.

I had/have both dedicated and original machines. It really comes down to what you want the most. I started off buying dedicated machines I decided that they didn't hold my interest so I MAME'd one and kept my Nintendo Red Tent. The one I did MAME had a blown out monitor and painted sides so I didn't feel bad about gutting it.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 05:01:20 pm »
@jcalder8 What games do you have with your Red Tent?

jcalder8

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 09:57:00 pm »
@varkias I've got:
Excitebike
SMB
Tetris
Ice Climbers
Golf
Hogan's Alley
and I just recently picked up Dr Mario

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51:43 pm »
@jcalder8 Damn! very nice!  I need to get some spare PCBs... I've got SMB and Castlevania right now, I'd like to pick up Balloon Fight and Mighty Bomb Jack.

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 12:50:08 pm »
So I picked up a "Street Fighter EX2 Plus" Dynamo cabinet in ok condition for $250. Has some issues, but nothing too serious.

No AC cable to the unit and the wiring was a mess inside. After about an hour or so I had everything re-wired
Power supply is missing the +12v so no audio. I rigged up a pc ATX PSU and borrowed the +12v to test and works
The screen bows @ the corners(pot tweak or bad caps?)
Has a piece of the plexi on the controls broken off
Missing the marquee
Coin door needs a new lock and new bulbs and is also missing the coin sorters.

^^ Screen bowing?? I'm not sure what to call it

scott

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »
Nice! That screen looks like you might be able to adjust it like an old crt monitor. Also you might want to look into upgrading your lights to led.

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »
@scott I thought the same thing, but alas I couldn't figure it out. Pots do everything but tweak the edges.