Author Topic: Modifying a PS2  (Read 1929 times)

Modifying a PS2
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:35 am »
Hello everyone!
There are a lot of Japanese PS2 games that I want. Unfortunately, they are all region locked. Does anyone know how to modify a PS2 so it can read both U.S. discs and Japanese discs?

ffxik

Re: Modifying a PS2
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 03:42:58 pm »
Depends on whether it is a fat or a slim.  Each one has it's own way.  Check into Swap Magic

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:49:55 pm »
Depends on whether it is a fat or a slim.  Each one has it's own way.  Check into Swap Magic

At this point...would it be cheaper and/or easier to just get a JP PS2?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 03:55:34 pm »

Japanese PS2s are running over $200.  I personally would rather just pay $30 for Swap Magic.   :-\

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 03:57:48 pm »

Japanese PS2s are running over $200.  I personally would rather just pay $30 for Swap Magic.   :-\

I'm surprised that they're going for that much...are they really hard to find, or something?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 06:53:45 pm »
They just seem to have a really high price point, which is usually the case for importing Japanese consoles, however importing a ps2 seems to be at a way higher price(compared to American ps2s) and if you use programs such as SwapMagic(put on the memory card or HDD if you have one) you can bypass any region locking for a much cheaper price. It's not really worth it right now to import a ps2 for that kind of money people are trying to sell them for.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:14:26 pm »
I Could be wrong, But I think FreeMcBoot will do this. You can buy a memory card on ebay thats loaded with FreeMcBoot and it should allow you to play imports. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:34:22 pm »
I have a fat PS2.

How exactly does Swap Magic work?

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 01:00:33 am »

davifus

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:45 pm »
uhhh... I'm not sure If you still need some knowledge about this situation. I would recommend getting FMCB (FreeMcBoot) for your PS2. You'll get a Program in there called ESR which is like a Region Free game loader for retail games and burned games, so you can play any region games regardless of what region your PS2 FAT/SLIM is (excluding some of the more obscure models, but the later patches should fix them). For example:  I have tried a burned Japanese game (Amagami) and it works, but you know take it with grain of salt. THIS A SOFTMOD NOT A HARDMOD.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)