Author Topic: Thrift Store finds  (Read 3405 times)

Thrift Store finds
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:55:13 pm »
Ok so I'm sure most people in this community check local thrift stores for older games, I was just wondering what are some of the fondest pieces you've added to your collection from thrift stores?
I can honestly say I think I've gotten quite lucky in maybe the past month on finding pretty good ps1 games for great prices, this past week I found Oddworld Abe's Oddysee, bust a groove 2, Final Fantasy 7 black label complete and a few other little items.
I know that they arent that rare or anything but to find some games I've been looking for is awesome especially when they're only a few bucks especially Bust a groove 2, which is missing the manual but only 2 dollars for it is pretty awesome.
what has everybody else found recentally or in the past that just got you super excited?

Re: Thrift Store finds
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:47:49 pm »
I found 14 sega master system games, all complete and all but 1 in absolutely mint condition, and got them all for 1.99 each. I was elated.

At the same thrift store I found 2 sega cd games, pitfall: the mayan adventure, and The Terminator, each marked at 55 cents each! Pitfall was complete and mint, and Terminator actually had a Sewer Shark disc in it, so I'm currently on the hunt for the game disc, but otherwise, the case and artwork are mint.

I love thrift stores :)
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

matt

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:12:28 pm »
Man I never find stuff in my area. Years ago I found an 2600 with about 20 games but that was really my only find. All of the Goodwills area here never seem to get anything in or someone just beats me to it.

darko

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:45 pm »
I think the best thing I've ever found at a thrift store was an old Nintendo player's guide for multiple games. It was in perfect condition.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
I wandered in to a local thrift store after moving in to my apartment and found a Sega Master System, controller, 3D card (but no glasses), and around eight boxed games and four or five loose carts. I forget how much the Master System was priced at (but it was very reasonable), but the games were all marked at $5 each. As I was checking out, the lady at the cash register goes "Why are these so expensive? They're older than the first Nintendo!" and she proceeds to ring them up at a dollar a piece. All the boxed games were complete with the exception of Phantasy Star, which was missing the manual. Left with a pretty hefty bag of stuff for a little over $20.

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:02:58 pm »
i got a copy sonic the hedgehog for the genesis in mint condition for $4 and i seen them go for 20 to 50 dollars on ebay

amauriel

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:18:46 am »
Probably Gameboys. I was going through a stint there where I was finding a different Gameboy every time I'd go into a Goodwill...never paid more than $10. My husband made the mistake of telling me that as long as I didn't spend more than $15 each (after shipping), I could get as many Gameboys as I wanted. At one point, I had purchased like 8 in the same weekend...I've laid off since I got the Manchester one (which I splurged on, definitely not $15!!)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:48:17 am »
I found a TG-16 with the power cord for $10.00 a few years back.  I usually find lots of random cords and sports games, nothing special really.  The TG-16 was a great exception.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:57:57 am »
I've not once gone to a thrift store... I've been to flea markets though and never saw anything that seemed like a good deal. :(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

rachel

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »
At a thrift store a while back, I found a few NES games that were new in box: Duck Hunt, Gyromite, Sky Kid, and Ikari Warriors. The boxes were a little worn, but it looked like the games had never been played. I think they were something like $2-$3 each... not too bad! Most thrift stores around here are way overpriced, though. When a Goodwill in my neighborhood gets cartridge games, they end up going in the auction case. Boo!

madmax

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:12:14 pm »
I generally only find overpriced games in thrift stores. i get excited when I find NES or SNES carts but they end up being expensive for really bad games :(

hexen

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »
I got a boxed Odyssey 2 that came with about 5 boxed games from Thrift Town once.

I also got TONS of stuff from Goodwill including a Game Gear with a carrying case and about 20 games, a Saturn, A boxed Bally Astrocade, boxed SNES, Pikachu N64, boxed Genesis Network Adapter (yes, such a thing exist) ... probably more. But then this happened and I haven't found anything worth mentioning since :(
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 12:39:09 pm »
The thrift stores around here never have anything.

I did pick of a boxed copy of Final Fantasy III (VI) for the SNES at a Hollywood video for $10 about a decade ago, when it was fetching $50 for just the cartridge on ebay. All it was missing was the map.

Just the other day I picked up some decent bargains at an FYE, which is going out of business:

Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? (complete with soundtrack, the box was open, but the game is still sealed) - $2
Silent Hill 2 PS2 (Greatest Hits, used) - $2
Silent Hill 3 (used, with soundtrack, in really poor shape, but a run through CDCheck says it has no readability errors) - $ .80
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack for the Xbox (sealed and new)- $ .80

madmax

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »
The thrift stores around here never have anything.

I did pick of a boxed copy of Final Fantasy III (VI) for the SNES at a Hollywood video for $10 about a decade ago, when it was fetching $50 for just the cartridge on ebay. All it was missing was the map.

It still is >.< (It's one of the important missing games in my collection)

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 01:32:17 pm »
I still have my store bought Final Fantasy III. It's the one game I don't intend to sell off.