Author Topic: Can we get a real-time price calculation of our collections?  (Read 5755 times)

tpugmire

Re: Can we get a real-time price calculation of our collections?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 04:22:03 pm »
Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it likely? No. We only have one person capable of doing the coding for the site (Matt), and he's busy with other things going on in his life. Also, I'm no programmer so I don't know how all this would work, but I can see this being very hard to implement correctly. We strive to list every known variation of every game, and as far as I know, we are pretty much the only ones doing so. We have occasional problems with the amazon purchasing links because of that.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 06:42:17 am »
Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it likely? No. We only have one person capable of doing the coding for the site (Matt), and he's busy with other things going on in his life. Also, I'm no programmer so I don't know how all this would work, but I can see this being very hard to implement correctly. We strive to list every known variation of every game, and as far as I know, we are pretty much the only ones doing so. We have occasional problems with the amazon purchasing links because of that.

is it possible?

I know nothing about programming but, keep in mind that:

a).  we have different users from different countries using different currencies,

b). the exchange rate(s) fluctuate, and

c). the price of a game changes when sealed, cib, not cib, complete vs incomplete LE's, good, fair, poor, average, like new, etc conditions...

...is it really possible to do this & make it accurate for ALL of our members?

No, not *that* member   :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

karyann

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 09:04:55 am »
I believe this is the most popular request we get on this site. It gets brought up all the time. Yet the same regulars again and again keep saying it's not worth it and there's no interest in it.

...history says differently. Obviously there is a LOT of interest in implementing this to the site. But it keeps getting struck down by the vocal minority. Are there at least ways to link to other sites that already do this?

I'm not saying it's not interesting, I'm actually curious about my collection's value, too (for insurance and for fun). But it's really hard work and it's never going to be accurate, so I personally wouldn't want to work on making this work  :P

If someone ever finds a website that lists value for all games and all variations, and gets updated very regularly, then I think it could be worth it. So if someone finds that hidden gem of a website, please come forward :P

davifus

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19:01 am »
If we already went through this kind post multiple times why are we still lingering on "im interested but im not willing to put time in something trivial as researching the price for each individual games due to multiple factors". Its ether you do it or not... it's easy as that.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

karyann

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 10:29:06 am »
If we already went through this kind post multiple times why are we still lingering on "im interested but im not willing to put time in something trivial as researching the price for each individual games due to multiple factors". Its ether you do it or not... it's easy as that.

I don't know if Matt ever voiced his opinion on that, but I haven't seen him do so. And if he really didn't, well... we're kinda "arguing" for nothing, since he's the one programming, and so he has the final word on things :P

davifus

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 10:54:54 am »

I don't know if Matt ever voiced his opinion on that, but I haven't seen him do so. And if he really didn't, well... we're kinda "arguing" for nothing, since he's the one programming, and so he has the final word on things :P

Honestly, I dont think an auto price chart is a top priority.   It will be nice to have but it's not necessary. It's a lot of work for 1 programmer (Matt) to make just because of a couple people didn't want to individually price their collection because it was tedious or too many things. I would rather have things that will further grow the community by making communication easier with a chat box, simplifying parts of search function and give it more fluidity, better method of selling and buying, some kind of trust mechanism for newcomer (so scamming doesn't occur), and etc. These are not easy options ether but I feel like they are more benefical, however these are my opinion so take with a grain of salt.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 02:05:46 pm »
Some entries already have PriceCharting plugged into them. (Example here) Some have Amazon, some have PriceCharting, some have nothing. I'm not sure how it's set up but I know it's automatic. If the site recognizes something it'll add a link. It's kind of all over the place. I think it would be neat if we can enter a URL from PriceCharting and the site could draw that information and place it into the Value/Price field.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:08:25 pm by badATchaos »

davifus

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 02:19:09 pm »
Some entries already have PriceCharting plugged into them. (Example here) Some have Amazon, some have PriceCharting, some have nothing. I'm not sure how it's set up but I know it's automatic. If the site recognizes something it'll add a link. It's kind of all over the place. I think it would be neat if we can enter a URL from PriceCharting and the site could draw that information and place it into the Value/Price field.
From what Im getting from this conversation is that everyone else wants something that automatically inserts the price without having to manually add the price for it & adds all of the price for a overall valuation of there collection that also automatically keep up with the fluctuation.

I see the link but some of them dont link accurately... The amazon link for the doom game you linked  goes to a skylander figure...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:21:15 pm by davifus »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »

I noticed that, and that was a great step in that direction. I just wish there was some way for the site to give you a running total. Yeah, we can figure it out ourselves as suggested, but it's a lot easier to have the figure staring at you than it is to add-up 100s (1000s in some users' cases) games individually.

We already have pie-charts and bar-graphs and such that do running totals for other stats in your collection. And we already have VideoGame Chart prices. So to me, it wouldn't seem that hard to implement since all the pieces are already here, just not put together.

davifus

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »

I noticed that, and that was a great step in that direction. I just wish there was some way for the site to give you a running total. Yeah, we can figure it out ourselves as suggested, but it's a lot easier to have the figure staring at you than it is to add-up 100s (1000s in some users' cases) games individually.

We already have pie-charts and bar-graphs and such that do running totals for other stats in your collection. And we already have VideoGame Chart prices. So to me, it wouldn't seem that hard to implement since all the pieces are already here, just not put together.

Well this is up to Matt. Im done with this topic for now.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 11:27:38 am »
I believe this is the most popular request we get on this site. It gets brought up all the time. Yet the same regulars again and again keep saying it's not worth it and there's no interest in it.

...history says differently. Obviously there is a LOT of interest in implementing this to the site. But it keeps getting struck down by the vocal minority. Are there at least ways to link to other sites that already do this?

I'm not saying it's not interesting, I'm actually curious about my collection's value, too (for insurance and for fun). But it's really hard work and it's never going to be accurate, so I personally wouldn't want to work on making this work  :P

If someone ever finds a website that lists value for all games and all variations, and gets updated very regularly, then I think it could be worth it. So if someone finds that hidden gem of a website, please come forward :P

Yeah.

Someone (who's been here longer than me, correct me if I'm wrong) but, my understanding has always been that the goal/"mission statement" for this site has been to simply be a place for listing as many variants of as many games (and other gaming stuff) as possible for users to be able to keep track of their collections.

The fact that we've lucked out w/ a marketplace that has had an excellent success & satisfaction rate (relative to the # of transactions/trades done) and that we've grown and attracted a pretty awesome community of users, regulars, and staff is (as is anything & everything else)...

...just gravy  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 04:31:23 pm »
Pretty much, yeah. And earlier when I said it was possible, I meant it in a "anything is possible" sort of way. I would be geuinely shocked if this was pursued at all.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 11:53:51 pm »

Woah! Hold up.

I knew about the pie chart.

But what's this I hear about a bar chart?

When the hell did this happen and why am I always the last to know!?

:)

pacpix

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 12:13:34 am »
Yeah what are you hiding from us Burningdoom!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 12:46:34 am »
I, uh, may have been thinking of RFGeneration.