Author Topic: how did you find out about vgcollect  (Read 4005 times)

htimreimer

how did you find out about vgcollect
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:24:25 am »
for me 1 hour on Google

darko

Re: how did you find out about vgcollect
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:26 am »
DigitPress...a WHILE ago. I basically came here and never looked back. Granted, the marketplace here isn't as active but it will get there someday.

I've basically stopped going anywhere else, actually. I fell in love with the layout and everyone here has been great! Plus, I got in early so I was able to contribute as I put in my games (as I still do when it's appropriate).

scott

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:51 am »
I kinda know the man in charge. ;)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

htimreimer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 08:58:23 am »
I kinda know the man in charge. ;)

LOL

matt

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:18:38 am »
Well I found it because I created it...ha.

@darko Looks like you are coming up on your 1 year VGCollect anniversary. We'll have a new badge for that. :) Thanks for being here since the beginning. I can't wait until the marketplace and overall forum activity pick up.

psydswipe

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:23:05 am »
Games Press forums. Actually saw a new post there recently too, hadn't realized Matt had been on there so long (four years) but I guess he ran a game news site before this.

forte

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:19 am »
Max told me ;)

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:55:37 am »
@psydswipe Yeah I ran DigitalSomething.com for 5 years but I was never much of a journalist. At it's peak we had a staff of around 8 writers and it got me into E3 a few years back. It was fun being a part of the industry while it lasted but it was not my calling and I was investing WAY too much time into it.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:39 pm »
DigitalPress. I was using RFGeneration for a while but ran into several roadblocks concerning adding items quickly. Then I came here, and waffled for a bit before actually deciding to get an account and do stuff.

hexen

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 02:09:12 pm »
I saw fellow member Nightowljrm's collection collection signature on the RetroCollect forums. I instantly switched to here from RetroCollect because it is focused more on every region of game, where RetroCollect was almost excursively European, and gave me the ability to submit games. Also, they layout is nicer and there are features added a lot more.

Basically VGcollect is better in every way.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

jobocan

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 03:06:14 pm »
I was google searching for a new site to catalog my increasing collection, and this had just got into public beta (or something like that) when I found it. I previously used playfire but it became sucky (somehow going from a game collecting website to some achievement/trophy BS), so I figured that this would be a good alternative to try out. I'm still using it so I guess that's a good sign :P

madmax

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »
Reddit told me
/r/gamecollecting

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »
I was considering starting up a site for Sega Saturn collectors kinda like http://www.satakore.com/ and my research lead me here.  I'm no longer considering it, ha.

amauriel

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »
Reddit's /r/gamecollecting!
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:41 pm »
I had a private database on my web server for a while. When I had to upgrade MySQL for another project it broke quite a bit of stuff. I'm not very knowledgeable on fixing those sorts of things so I dumped everything into an Excel spreadsheet and stuck with that for a while. I was pointed to this site by the admin of OK Coin-Op Collectors Forum when I started setting up the console game sales/trading section over there. Very handy for posting wish lists instead of a mile-long post.