Author Topic: how did you find out about vgcollect  (Read 4013 times)

ffxik

Re: how did you find out about vgcollect
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:32:29 pm »
I was google searching for a new site to catalog my increasing collection, and this had just got into public beta (or something like that) when I found it. I previously used playfire but it became sucky (somehow going from a game collecting website to some achievement/trophy BS), so I figured that this would be a good alternative to try out. I'm still using it so I guess that's a good sign :P

I blame this individual right here.  We posted our collections on another site.  I used TheBackloggery and jobocan used this one.  I checked it out and joined up sometime later.

pacpix

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 07:33:40 am »
I found out about it on a the atariage forums.  I think one of the staff posted about it because they mentioned they worked here or something.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

scott

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:04 am »
@psydswipe Yeah I ran DigitalSomething.com for 5 years but I was never much of a journalist. At it's peak we had a staff of around 8 writers and it got me into E3 a few years back. It was fun being a part of the industry while it lasted but it was not my calling and I was investing WAY too much time into it.

I was one of the writers there as well. Sometimes it got to the point where I was writing news posts and searching for news all day long. It was fun while it lasted though but I missed out on going to E3 w/ Matt and a couple of the other crew members. Running this site is much more fun and laid back and the community seems to be larger.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »
I found out on DigitPress recently.  I've used RFG for years and was frustrated with the access from my phone.  I like the site so far but way too many old school games still need added and images updated.  I'm trying to go through them a system at a time, with at least the stuff I own.  I hope eventually the list here gets just as thorough as RFG.

darko

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 11:23:52 am »
I hope eventually the list here gets just as thorough as RFG.

Honestly, I think it will. I don't know the item count at RFG, but this is after 365 days:

"To date, we have 20,278 items in the database with an average of 31 new items added daily. Our users have had 14,758 edits to the database submitted and approved, with an average of 129 edits being submitted per day."

foxhack

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 11:53:58 am »
RFG probably has ten times the amount of stuff we have. But they've been at this for way longer than we have...

darko

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 12:51:12 pm »
@foxhack Last time I was there they had something like 61,000 games and  over 4,400 hardware entries. Pretty impressive but I have no idea how long they've been around.

jcalder8

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 08:02:19 am »
@foxhack and I talked about it on Digitpress so I thought I would actually give it a try. I signed up a few months ago but I wasn't ready to bring my collection over from RF so it sat unloved, of course now I'm porting everything over and I'm having a good time here so far. Seems like a solid community so now I just need to shove my way in :D

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 12:06:40 am »
Google. I was/ am using excel to track my stuff too but wondered if there was a better online alternative. found this and haven't looked back. (although i liked having all the hardware under one catagory)

darko

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17:34 pm »
(although i liked having all the hardware under one catagory)

Same here.

soera

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 06:29:47 am »
Im new to here. I found it from the guy above me at our latest okc retro gaming club meeting and figured Id check it out. :)

darko

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 06:52:28 am »
Im new to here. I found it from the guy above me at our latest okc retro gaming club meeting and figured Id check it out. :)

Hmm...PS1, Everquest...I wonder who this could be?

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 08:11:36 am »
okc retro gaming club meeting

There's a retro gaming club in the area?

darko

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 08:55:52 am »
@dstone Indeed. I'll PM you the info.

soera

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 11:35:49 am »
Yeah we usually get together about once a month ... been going on for almost 2 years now. :)