Author Topic: Companies that make new games for old consoles  (Read 3971 times)

Re: Companies that make new games for old consoles
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 09:38:52 am »

I say reproductions, but they only sell stuff that was never released in the US.  Drac's Night Out was an unreleased NES game. 

I can get behind that stuff.  Literally, the only game like this that I currently have is Star Castle, which I backed on Kickstarter.  My interest in these kinds of games has grown recently, and I think a part of my apprehension is that I'm waiting to make sure Nightmare Busters shows up to power my confidence in this endeavor.

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 09:41:23 am »
The Dreamcast still has a pretty active development scene. You pointed out Magical Game Factory (Watermelon Games), but there is also NG:DEV.team that makes some phenomenal shooters, as well as redspot games.

You had me at shooters.  I'm terrible at shmups, but have always loved them.  I didn't find Redspot in my searching, so thanks!

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:26 am »
Pier solar had their first print released a while back and its getting on other consoles too (pushed back). Only steam and online store ps3/ps4 has them (released today).

You should of join the kickstarter awhile back for elysian shadow.

Crap, I saw this Kickstarter a while ago and forgot about it.  But I did support Hive Jump.  Half a dozen others.

maximo310

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 11:48:29 am »
The Dreamcast still has a pretty active development scene. You pointed out Magical Game Factory (Watermelon Games), but there is also NG:DEV.team that makes some phenomenal shooters, as well as redspot games.

You had me at shooters.  I'm terrible at shmups, but have always loved them.  I didn't find Redspot in my searching, so thanks!
Yeah, the Dreamcast has a great selection of shmups from both when the console was supported, and after it discontinuation. On the japanese side, shmups were still supported from naomi ports from some developers, while in the west has some small companies that continue to work on shmups and other games for the system. It's pretty cool, considering how many people ignored the Dreamcast back in the day for the PS2 and other consoles, and I'd to get some of those games for my dreamcast collection as well.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 08:54:24 pm »
Infinite NES Lives (http://www.infiniteneslives.com/index.php) is a small one. They mostly do custom modifications and special order controllers, but they do have a small selection of new NES games from time to time. They've currently got one called Armed for Battle that looks kind of interesting.

A few weeks ago there was a thread on here talking about a new NES game on Kickstarter called Mystic Searches. They just hit 100% funding with 12 days to go. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1316851183/the-new-8-bit-heroes-new-nes-game-and-creation-doc

spac316

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 02:23:42 am »
There's also "Sivak Games" who created the Battle Kid games.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 12:54:10 pm »
Infinite NES Lives (http://www.infiniteneslives.com/index.php) is a small one. They mostly do custom modifications and special order controllers, but they do have a small selection of new NES games from time to time. They've currently got one called Armed for Battle that looks kind of interesting.

A few weeks ago there was a thread on here talking about a new NES game on Kickstarter called Mystic Searches. They just hit 100% funding with 12 days to go. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1316851183/the-new-8-bit-heroes-new-nes-game-and-creation-doc

I'm thinking about backing that one, actually.  I always back through my game dev team (From Nothing Game Studios), so I'll have to talk to our finance guy during our next meeting.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 09:51:02 pm »
First off, let me know how that Nightmare Busters is.  I almost bought it a couple of times, but have held off.

Second, there are several places online that make Repros of unreleased games and Homebrews.  I grabbed a few of these at Retropalooza a couple of weeks ago from 8-Bit Evolution.  I got Wily Wars and Fix-It Felix Jr. for Genesis and Drac's Night Out on NES.  I like the idea of new stuff coming out 20 years too late.  I'll still grab it.

In the event you return to this thread, Nightmare Busters finally arrived.  It's a pretty sharp package--full color manual, beautiful SNES-style box, and a solid cartridge that worked as well as any official SNES game.  Very impressive.  The game itself is heavily action-oriented, and the closest thing I can think of off-hand is Mega Man inspiration.  Move from left to right "shooting" enemies with various attacks, and launching powerful screen-filling magic attacks when you have the opportunity.  It runs smoothly, looks good, and is pretty hectic. 

However, it spawns enemies like a Ghouls n Ghosts title--as in, willy-nilly all over the damn place, so it can be quite chaotic.  There are a few platforming issues I have (jumping over fire in the first level feels awkward), but the game overall is actually pretty fun and extremely challenging.  Picture Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, but with lots of shooting mechanics and screen-clearing magic that made me think of Golden Axe. 

Overall, a charming purchase, and I'm glad I got it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 08:58:41 am »
First off, let me know how that Nightmare Busters is.  I almost bought it a couple of times, but have held off.

Second, there are several places online that make Repros of unreleased games and Homebrews.  I grabbed a few of these at Retropalooza a couple of weeks ago from 8-Bit Evolution.  I got Wily Wars and Fix-It Felix Jr. for Genesis and Drac's Night Out on NES.  I like the idea of new stuff coming out 20 years too late.  I'll still grab it.

In the event you return to this thread, Nightmare Busters finally arrived.  It's a pretty sharp package--full color manual, beautiful SNES-style box, and a solid cartridge that worked as well as any official SNES game.  Very impressive.  The game itself is heavily action-oriented, and the closest thing I can think of off-hand is Mega Man inspiration.  Move from left to right "shooting" enemies with various attacks, and launching powerful screen-filling magic attacks when you have the opportunity.  It runs smoothly, looks good, and is pretty hectic. 

However, it spawns enemies like a Ghouls n Ghosts title--as in, willy-nilly all over the damn place, so it can be quite chaotic.  There are a few platforming issues I have (jumping over fire in the first level feels awkward), but the game overall is actually pretty fun and extremely challenging.  Picture Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, but with lots of shooting mechanics and screen-clearing magic that made me think of Golden Axe. 

Overall, a charming purchase, and I'm glad I got it.

I may have to grab one then.  I've heard it's hard, but fun.  Thanks for the heads up

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 02:02:29 pm »

Here you go :)

http://www.redspotgames.com/shop/

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 11:31:40 am »
The Colecovision has a surprisingly active homebrew scene. A number of groups (Team Pixelboy, Collectorvision, and a few others) create and release original games. They also port a lot of titles from the MSX computer system, which is apparently very similar in specs to the Colecovision.

They even released a hardware add-on called the Super Game Module, which adds extra RAM and enables the play of some more advanced games that they've also released.

I just ordered Joust from Team Pixelboy. It was originally planned for the Colecovision in the '80s, but never made it past the prototype stage. They took that prototype, filled in the missing sound effects, and created a finished game.