Author Topic: Companies that make new games for old consoles  (Read 3954 times)

Companies that make new games for old consoles
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:46:34 pm »
So, earlier this year I purchased Nightmare Busters for the SNES from Super Fighter Team.  It's taking a while to arrive, and when last I inquired, it should be heading to me in October.  I'm waiting until it arrives before I order from them again.

Anyway, this has sparked an interest in developers who make and release games on older hardware.  There was one company I recall seeing who did quite a bit, but I forgot who it was and I think they stopped doing it.  Trying to do a Google search on this is kind of a pain and I think I found a few places, but the shops always look like kind of a cluttered mess.

Here are a few that I found:
Magical Game Factory
Super Fighter Team
Retrousb
Good Deal Games

So, I'm looking for places like this, stores that sell new games made for old systems, homebrew titles, and the like.  A part of this was sparked when I backed the Star Castle 2600 Kickstarter and was excited by the idea of a brand new game for such an old console.  I know the Dreamcast has a large homebrew/indie dev community, but I'm looking for more.  Perhaps stores that specialize in selling these kinds of games.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Companies that make new games for old consoles
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 01:59:37 pm »
First off, let me know how that Nightmare Busters is.  I almost bought it a couple of times, but have held off.

Second, there are several places online that make Repros of unreleased games and Homebrews.  I grabbed a few of these at Retropalooza a couple of weeks ago from 8-Bit Evolution.  I got Wily Wars and Fix-It Felix Jr. for Genesis and Drac's Night Out on NES.  I like the idea of new stuff coming out 20 years too late.  I'll still grab it.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:17 pm »
I think that there's a game that's either been released -or- is going to be released called Pier Solar (sp?).

I believe that, in addition to being released on some modern systems, it was also coming out on some of the older ones too.

All that I really know/can remember about it is that it's an RPG, I *think* that the name of the company making it had the word "Melon" in it, it was Kick-started/crowd-funded, and that there's A LOT of people here who know & can tell you MUCH more about it than I can  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »
First off, let me know how that Nightmare Busters is.  I almost bought it a couple of times, but have held off.

Second, there are several places online that make Repros of unreleased games and Homebrews.  I grabbed a few of these at Retropalooza a couple of weeks ago from 8-Bit Evolution.  I got Wily Wars and Fix-It Felix Jr. for Genesis and Drac's Night Out on NES.  I like the idea of new stuff coming out 20 years too late.  I'll still grab it.

For now, I'm just hoping Nightmare Busters actually arrives!  Because these guys have other games I'd like to pick up. 

I didn't see any games on 8-Bit Evolution's site.  Did they only have them at the show?

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »
I think that there's a game that's either been released -or- is going to be released called Pier Solar (sp?).

I believe that, in addition to being released on some modern systems, it was also coming out on some of the older ones too.

All that I really know/can remember about it is that it's an RPG, I *think* that the name of the company making it had the word "Melon" in it, it was Kick-started/crowd-funded, and that there's A LOT of people here who know & can tell you MUCH more about it than I can  8)

It's actually out on PC and PS3 (PS4?) now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286220/

hexen

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:35:25 pm »

Back when they where first producing Nightmare Busters I pre-ordered it, and after paying I received it a year and a half later, so I got one from the original run. As for the gameplay, it's a platformer that I would say is kind of like a cross between Contra and Shinobi. The game is very, very difficult, I've played it plenty of times, having never managed to get far into the 3rd level. It is also 2-player which is really fun. The box and manual it comes with are also top notch.

The reason I bought it is just that stuff like this from Super Fighter Team tends to become unavailable eventually, but the game is worth it on it's own.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 02:37:17 pm »

For now, I'm just hoping Nightmare Busters actually arrives!  Because these guys have other games I'd like to pick up. 

I didn't see any games on 8-Bit Evolution's site.  Did they only have them at the show?

I think the repro scene is a little bit of a sticky situation.  Basicly they're making money off of someone elses work.  Sure, they claim they are only being paid for the labor and materials; but they're giving the actual game away for free. 

They only sell games at conventions.  I've heard whispers that they will ship if you email them asking for repros.  They just don't advertise it on their website.  I had the dude's card somewhere, but I think I lost it.  Maybe there is a "Contact Us" button on the website.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 04:20:54 pm »

I think the repro scene is a little bit of a sticky situation.  Basicly they're making money off of someone elses work.  Sure, they claim they are only being paid for the labor and materials; but they're giving the actual game away for free. 

They only sell games at conventions.  I've heard whispers that they will ship if you email them asking for repros.  They just don't advertise it on their website.  I had the dude's card somewhere, but I think I lost it.  Maybe there is a "Contact Us" button on the website.

Oh gotcha.  I was less interested in reproductions than in fully new games being developed for legacy consoles.  Like the shmups appearing on the Dreamcast after all these years, or Pier Solar for the Genesis.  Or revived old ROMs that were never completed or released, like Nightmare Busters.  When it comes to reproductions, honestly, I'd rather have the original if that's all it is. 

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »
Atariage has an entire store of homebrew games for the Atari 2600 and some others I think.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:44:07 pm »

Oh gotcha.  I was less interested in reproductions than in fully new games being developed for legacy consoles.  Like the shmups appearing on the Dreamcast after all these years, or Pier Solar for the Genesis.  Or revived old ROMs that were never completed or released, like Nightmare Busters.  When it comes to reproductions, honestly, I'd rather have the original if that's all it is.

I say reproductions, but they only sell stuff that was never released in the US.  Drac's Night Out was an unreleased NES game. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 04:50:08 pm »
I wish the big companies made new games for old consoles. While there are indie gems here and there, for the most part, they just aren't as a good as the real-deal.

Imagine if Capcom made a new Disney 8-bit game, or if Nintendo gave us an all-new 2D Metroid for NES. That would freaking rock! I know it's highly unlikely, but if it happened, that would be a day 1 purchase, no questions asked.

If nothing else, can't these companies at least release them on the console networks? There is a very healthy retro-crowd out there, and it doesn't cost them as much to make as it does a full-on console release. I'd imagine there'd be a healthy profit margin since it wouldn't cost as much to make.

soera

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »
Pier Solar just released today by Watermelon. And Nightmare busters is buyable still on their site.

davifus

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 05:13:59 pm »
Pier solar had their first print released a while back and its getting on other consoles too (pushed back). Only steam and online store ps3/ps4 has them (released today).

You should of join the kickstarter awhile back for elysian shadow.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 09:01:30 pm »
The Dreamcast still has a pretty active development scene. You pointed out Magical Game Factory (Watermelon Games), but there is also NG:DEV.team that makes some phenomenal shooters, as well as redspot games.

pacpix

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »
Atariage has an entire store of homebrew games for the Atari 2600 and some others I think.
Yeah they have a lot of great stuff. I have never bought anything as I usually add stuff to my cart and close the tab after seeing the price. Lots of games for 2600, 5200, 7800, jag etc
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)