Author Topic: Timeless games that still hold up today?  (Read 10187 times)

Re: Timeless games that still hold up today?
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2014, 03:58:23 pm »
Jesus, take it down a notch chief. It'll be ok, you and I disagree. That's life on the interwebs my friend. It's all good.

dreama1

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2014, 04:15:04 pm »
Jesus, take it down a notch chief. It'll be ok, you and I disagree. That's life on the interwebs my friend. It's all good.
Sure.

davifus

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

desocietas

Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2014, 04:43:31 pm »

Every time I see a meme here in the VG Collect forums I just know the poster is Davifus. :)

Also burningdoom you are not the only one that hears the theme song.

Do you also hear in your head "a woo oooh!" immediately after seeing or hearing "Ducktales" ? :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2014, 07:37:43 pm »

Every time I see a meme here in the VG Collect forums I just know the poster is Davifus. :)

Do you also hear in your head "a woo oooh!" immediately after seeing or hearing "Ducktales" ? :)

lol, I don't just hear it, I usually say it.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2014, 08:01:01 pm »

Same here!

True story!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2014, 10:43:12 pm »

Same here!

True story!

You guys aren't alone.

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2014, 11:41:14 am »
This thread derailed a bit.

There was this game on the Atari 2600 called Food Fight, I think.  You had to catch food in a mouth.  If you ate eggplants, for some reason, you eventually burped and that was game over.  Not only does that "totally sound like a modern game," it's still fun.

pacpix

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2014, 01:05:23 am »

There was this game on the Atari 2600 called Food Fight, I think.  You had to catch food in a mouth.  If you ate eggplants, for some reason, you eventually burped and that was game over.  Not only does that "totally sound like a modern game," it's still fun.
That's actually Fast Food.  Never played it, but it looks awesome ha.

Food Fight is an Atari arcade game that was ported to the 7800.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2014, 02:44:24 am »
While not exactly timeless I continue to be impressed by how well Original XBOX games hold up on an HD display.

If you have an xbox and never popped for the HD kit... you are really missing out.

Burnout, Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate, Doom 3. They all totally hold up.

In fact I see very little difference between the XBox version of Beyond Good and Evil and the HD version that was rereleased on PS3.

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2014, 09:06:20 am »

That's actually Fast Food.  Never played it, but it looks awesome ha.

Food Fight is an Atari arcade game that was ported to the 7800.

Oh dammit!  You're right, I meant to say Fast Food. 

Fast Food is simple, controls well, and is still very playable today. 

And as noted, you burp, you fail.  My kid found that hilarious.

desocietas

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2014, 11:34:58 am »
While not exactly timeless I continue to be impressed by how well Original XBOX games hold up on an HD display.

If you have an xbox and never popped for the HD kit... you are really missing out.

In fact I see very little difference between the XBox version of Beyond Good and Evil and the HD version that was rereleased on PS3.

I find myself always impressed by how Gamecube games look, actually.  Wii games look subpar to me, even when it was brand new, but I was surprised when I popped in Baten Kaitos a few weeks back (it looked good back then on CRT but still holds up on HD), and was surprised again when my bf started up Resident Evil.  The system did well with what it could.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:40 am »

I find myself always impressed by how Gamecube games look, actually.  Wii games look subpar to me, even when it was brand new, but I was surprised when I popped in Baten Kaitos a few weeks back (it looked good back then on CRT but still holds up on HD), and was surprised again when my bf started up Resident Evil.  The system did well with what it could.
Yeah, I really like how powerful the Gamecube is for a machine with a 1999 chipset, and how it only cost $250 at the time of launch, as well as its diverse library of games. On the Wii end, I feel like they reduced the increase in graphics power to spend more on the motion control capabilities, which helped the sales of the console alot, but I feel that the resolution holds the Wii's graphics to some extent, as well as the quality of the graphics in some cases. Comparing Wii games from the original system to Dolphin( where you can enable additional effects and get 1080p) really stands out in some games where Dolphin really cleans up most of the graphics.

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »
Boring answer but SMB 3 is probably the best game ever made and still hold up today with great controls and gameplay !