Author Topic: What game do you have that's in the worst condition?  (Read 3548 times)

Re: What game do you have that's in the worst condition?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »
Not a game exactly, but I have a Holiday 1993 Nintendo Demonstrator's Kit. It's a bunch of stuff that Nintendo sent to people who would work in the video game section of a department store and be the official Nintendo representative. When I was a kid back then, my parents sold at a antique show inside a department store (Gottschalk's) that had recently went out of business. Being a curious kid, I wandered around to places I probably shouldn't've gone. One old stockroom had a bunch of boxes stacked, mostly all empty or filled with trash. It's funny, because I was completely obsessed with video games, I thought "How cool would it be to find a box of Nintendo games!" And like magic, suddenly I saw a tall rectangular box (taller than me at the time!) with the Nintendo logo on it! To me, this moment was about as close as you could get to finding a treasure chest. I knocked it over and dug around.

At the time, I was hoping for a load of games! Instead I found:

• A binder with a video tape inside, labeled "Holiday 1993 Nintendo Demonstrator's Kit". The binder was mostly a rundown of what the employee would be doing, and talking points to give to customers.
• A vest and hat, with two flasher buttons advertising the new NES top loader model and I believe the Super Scope 6.
• There were three Player's Guides inside, Mario Paint, Super Mario All-Stars, and Street Fighter II Turbo, all with theft-prevention chains attached to them.
• A large poster with an image of Magician Mario saying "Video Games? Ask Here!" and various logos of the NES, SNES and Game Boy
• A black silk-like banner with the logo of Zelda: A Link to the Past, with the words "IS HERE!!" underneath. There was also a small adhesive part saying "IS COMING" that you would place over "IS HERE!!" before the game game out. It doesn't make sense that this was in there, since by winter 1993 that game had already been out for awhile.
• A Nintendo mug, flash light, pen, and keychain, all meant as bonus items
• A certificate identifying the holder as an official Nintendo demonstrator
• Various other promo leaflets

Great set, and I ended up getting greedy and taking the whole box. :) But why is this listed in this thread? 'Cause like an idiot, I didn't take very good care of them. I was all about the games back then, and these weren't games. So they got stuffed into closets, put into corners, and the papers from the binder got scattered around the house. The certificate is badly crinkled. I believe all the stuff still exists hidden away at my parents house. Lately I've been trying to find all the pieces and papers to reassemble the set, but I really wish I took better care of all of it.

cobraseph

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 03:17:53 pm »
Many of my old original Nes and Super Nes games have their labels all messed up. i stored those games on a space saver unit last year and they had a roaches infestation thanks to a guy who stored organic stuff in his container. i cleaned all the games but i am thinking on making repro labels since they are from my personal collection. lolz some of them are missing their labels entirely..

davifus

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 04:31:06 pm »
Many of my old original Nes and Super Nes games have their labels all messed up. i stored those games on a space saver unit last year and they had a roaches infestation thanks to a guy who stored organic stuff in his container. i cleaned all the games but i am thinking on making repro labels since they are from my personal collection. lolz some of them are missing their labels entirely..

Roach... infestations

Do the roaches actually consume the labels or something?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

cobraseph

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »

Roach... infestations

yup. my container was one of the climate controlled ones. idk how they got inside. the owners of the facility gave $ compensations to the owners of units in the same level as the guy who caused all the problems with the organic material. but many of my snes games are without labels thanks to that.

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 12:34:19 am »

Roach... infestations

Roaches really like adhesives (like postage stamp adhesives), so I could imagine them going ham on old cartridge labels...  :'(
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 12:44:42 am »

Roach... infestations

Roaches really like adhesives (like postage stamp adhesives), so I could imagine them going ham on old cartridge labels...  :'(

I did not know Roaches like adhesives :o. I guess I got to be careful with My stamp collection.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

ffxik

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 06:06:22 am »
Two NES games. 

Wrath of the Black Manta.  When I picked it up I didn't check it well enough and later discovered the case behind the label was busted. 

Metal Storm.  60% of the label is faded out.  You can still tell what it is and since it was only .99 I'm not complaining about the condition mind you.

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:24 am »
Probably my copy of War of the Gems on SNES. Someone took an xacto knife or something and carved a checkerboard pattern into the front of the label... however, it is because of this that I got the cart in the first place. I was out shopping a game store here in town when I came across it, and it just so happens to be the EXACT cart I used to rent years ago from a video store. It even has the labels from the store on the sides, which I left on. I hadn't seen that cart in well over 10 years and it kinda blew my mind when I found it.

I have been holding out for the day that I come across, if ever, an ex rental copy of any game from an independent rental place I used to go to called Famous Video. They probably went under in about 1999 or so, but I used to rent all my 16-bit games from them, mainly Genesis. Even if it was some sports title I had no interest in, I'd till cherish that game lol.

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 12:10:58 pm »
It used to be my previous copy of Haunting Ground. Incomplete with flaking off artwork, and obliterated disk with holes through it. Probably didn't/doesn't work. Needless to say, I was not the original owner. All of the games I have owned since new are still in fantastic shape. Not sure how it's so hard for most people to take decent care of this stuff, but it seems to be.  ???

Probably my copy of War of the Gems on SNES. Someone took an xacto knife or something and carved a checkerboard pattern into the front of the label... however, it is because of this that I got the cart in the first place. I was out shopping a game store here in town when I came across it, and it just so happens to be the EXACT cart I used to rent years ago from a video store. It even has the labels from the store on the sides, which I left on. I hadn't seen that cart in well over 10 years and it kinda blew my mind when I found it.

I have been holding out for the day that I come across, if ever, an ex rental copy of any game from an independent rental place I used to go to called Famous Video. They probably went under in about 1999 or so, but I used to rent all my 16-bit games from them, mainly Genesis. Even if it was some sports title I had no interest in, I'd till cherish that game lol.

That's funny, at the local game store around here you'll find carts with all of the old video store labels on them. Pretty much every one that I can remember from back in the day. I'm convinced that everyone rented, rather than bought, any of the good games back in the day. It's no wonder SNES is so rare, it was all rental material afaik.

cobraseph

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 12:20:29 pm »

Roach... infestations

I did not know Roaches like adhesives :o. I guess I got to be careful with My stamp collection.

bro the damn critters will eat and chew everything that have glue in it. remember those old school velvet posters? like iron maiden or kiss. they eat that stuff too. i had like 5 of those stored on the same unit and all the velvet was gone. and those posters where from the 70's. mementos from my uncles.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 12:27:19 pm »
All my games are in good shape for the most part.... I do have a gameboy, links awakening that is so corrupt, when you get to the start screen to choose which file you wanna play, the screen is pure white, you can still hear the sound and move around, and when you do pick a game, the screen is still all white besides a couple enemies.... Needles to say, ill have to buy a new one. And likely throw this one away.(unless one of you want it, PM me if so)
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 12:40:46 pm »

I have the Shadow Run on SNES that I rented 20 years ago.  I left the rental stickers on it. My brother has the Earthbound from that place.

bobster

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 03:39:33 pm »
All my games are in good shape for the most part.... I do have a gameboy, links awakening that is so corrupt, when you get to the start screen to choose which file you wanna play, the screen is pure white, you can still hear the sound and move around, and when you do pick a game, the screen is still all white besides a couple enemies.... Needles to say, ill have to buy a new one. And likely throw this one away.(unless one of you want it, PM me if so)
Huh that's interesting. Have you tried cleaning the contacts already? If you're going to throw it away, I'd gladly take it to see if I couldn't get it working correctly.

Gameboy games are a bit difficult to take apart, but if you have the right bit, it's not too hard.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 08:12:41 pm »
Huh that's interesting. Have you tried cleaning the contacts already? If you're going to throw it away, I'd gladly take it to see if I couldn't get it working correctly.

Gameboy games are a bit difficult to take apart, but if you have the right bit, it's not too hard.

A game shark caused the damage. When I was younger. I used it to get certain weapons early. And well it ruined the game. But if you want it. I will gladly send it to you. Let me know. If you end up fixing it. Well congrats haha.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

bobster

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 08:50:25 pm »

A game shark caused the damage. When I was younger. I used it to get certain weapons early. And well it ruined the game. But if you want it. I will gladly send it to you. Let me know. If you end up fixing it. Well congrats haha.
Huh interesting. I wonder what the game shark could have done. I'll take a crack at it. I'll be sending you a PM  :D
Currently Playing: The Witcher