Author Topic: To the few users who are submitting edits to change [NA] games to [EU] games...  (Read 4626 times)

Stoooop doooooing thaaaaat. Please. If you want to add the EU version to the database, don't change the NA entry to reflect EU information (or vice versa). Make a new entry, it's not a duplicate.

I'm sure most, if not all of you know better, but I'm just publicly putting it here as a thing that has happened on the database several times in the past few days (the edits I'm talking about are from the past 2 days) by several members. I didn't think much of it before, but it really confused me today as it happened so frequently. For example, and I'm not pointing any names, a user submitted an edit to Dragon Ball: Raging Blast [NA]. It's a game that was released on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in NA and EU (as well as JP and AUS). Imagine my confusion when I saw this in the updates feed.

It makes someone who doesn't keep up on Dragonball games to think that it was erroneously added as NA when it was an EU release, or something. Something that made me have to double check Wikipedia and the Dragonball Wikia and stuff. Something that boggled my mind, and wasted my time. To make things weirder, there was already a [EU] version of it, so I have no idea what was going on here, and I'm getting tired of it, because the same thing happened for the releases of Tropico 4 on the 360, as well as the box art for Pokemon Emerald being incorrectly edited in the same timespan. All by different users.

I'm not trying to vilify anyone, I'm just really getting fed up with the quality of edits being made lately, especially ones made by newer members that haven't read the rules. So consider this a little rant, as well as a little change in ruling.
I'll be sending PMs to people who make these regional errors from now on. Over and out.

davifus

Don't worry We'll all get through this together.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

:o

Seriously?!

That's just straight-up being fucking lazy  >:(

Like the man said, if you've got an EU version of a game to add...by all means - add it & take our appreciation for your contribution; don't do some lazy-ass ghetto shit like this...just so *Your* collection is right!

TL;DR = Don't be a dick, most all of us here have a very low tolerance for dicks & dick-moves ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Seriously?!

Like the man said, if you've got an EU version of a game to add...by all means - add it & take our appreciation for your contribution; don't do some lazy-ass ghetto shit like this...just so *Your* collection is right!

TL;DR = Don't be a dick, most all of us here have a very low tolerance for dicks & dick-moves ;)

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'd take 10 dupes of a game before I accept changing the region of a source entry. It's just silly. And it's really frustrating when I'm accepting edits, and there's a whole long string of good trusted edits by people like you, davifus, and badATchaos for example (where I never really have to read the edits, because I know that it's correct), and I can just click accept accept accept accept, only to be interrupted by some mundane thing like this. So yeah, I'm a bit bitter :p Hopefully things get worked out in the near future to curb this problem, though.

davifus

Seriously?!

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'd take 10 dupes of a game before I accept changing the region of a source entry. It's just silly. And it's really frustrating when I'm accepting edits, and there's a whole long string of good trusted edits by people like you, davifus, and badATchaos for example (where I never really have to read the edits, because I know that it's correct), and I can just click accept accept accept accept, only to be interrupted by some mundane thing like this. So yeah, I'm a bit bitter :p Hopefully things get worked out in the near future to curb this problem, though.

foxhack

Those users will never read these forums. They won't stop unless you send them a PM and tell them to stop. And even then, some are stubborn and won't stop.

I'm sick of it but I also don't feel like venting it out on the forums, so...

davifus

Those users will never read these forums. They won't stop unless you send them a PM and tell them to stop. And even then, some are stubborn and won't stop.

I'm sick of it but I also don't feel like venting it out on the forums, so...

>Give them a warning?
>Continues then assume they're trolls?
>IP Ban?
>Or is that abusing power?

foxhack

I only wish I had that sort of power over accounts.

If it were me, I'd ban them outright. Honestly tired of being bleeding heart towards people who can't even RTFM. But hey, it's not so... I'll just PM them when it comes up again, because it will.

davifus

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Hey exonerator & foxhack, just wanted to say thank you.   I really appreciate all the hard work you guys do to keep this site the way it is. Word up! ;)

- Retro

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Not to make the admins angry or something.

But it should stop to make a entry with the wrong picture. The example by Exonerator for the [EU] game has a [US] picture. In my eyes this sends a wrong message to new user who see this. I rather see no picture then the wrong one.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

But it should stop to make a entry with the wrong picture. The example by Exonerator for the [EU] game has a [US] picture. In my eyes this sends a wrong message to new user who see this. I rather see no picture then the wrong one.

I get what you're saying and - it looks like you're right about the EU version having the NA picture.

That said...wouldn't it have taken you about the same amount of time (if not less) to simply edit it (by replacing the wrong pic w/ the correct one) than it took you to type up a post pointing out & complaining about it?

I'm just saying - there's definitely acceptable times & places for pointing out & addressing problems + mistakes -and- indeed, even for complaining about them...God knows - I couldn't say that I never do these things myself (not w/ a straight face, at least); and...not w/o being one of those people that I so despise, and for whom I have a 'special' brand of contempt for (aka hypocrites) -BUT- and this may just be a pet peeve all my own, but...

...didn't it just feel a little bit; not *right*, I guess - to take the time to notice the mistake, link to pages where you were, ya know...looking right at the mistake, come back to this topic to point out & complain about the mistake...and NOT to Correct it, instead of just leaving it there for someone else to fix?

IDK, is it just me that - if I find myself on a page w/ a mistake on it...would, w/o any need to think about it...just go ahead & fix it; and not really understand those who don't?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

I don't have the time to edit every single game image myself.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

I get what you're saying and - it looks like you're right about the EU version having the NA picture.

That said...wouldn't it have taken you about the same amount of time (if not less) to simply edit it (by replacing the wrong pic w/ the correct one) than it took you to type up a post pointing out & complaining about it?

I'm just saying - there's definitely acceptable times & places for pointing out & addressing problems + mistakes -and- indeed, even for complaining about them...God knows - I couldn't say that I never do these things myself (not w/ a straight face, at least); and...not w/o being one of those people that I so despise, and for whom I have a 'special' brand of contempt for (aka hypocrites) -BUT- and this may just be a pet peeve all my own, but...

...didn't it just feel a little bit; not *right*, I guess - to take the time to notice the mistake, link to pages where you were, ya know...looking right at the mistake, come back to this topic to point out & complain about the mistake...and NOT to Correct it, instead of just leaving it there for someone else to fix?

IDK, is it just me that - if I find myself on a page w/ a mistake on it...would, w/o any need to think about it...just go ahead & fix it; and not really understand those who don't?

That said, i could, if i have the game, but i dont have it. Then again, wich [EU] version shall i put there? And i only use my own scans instead of stealing scans from the internet.