Author Topic: To the few users who are submitting edits to change [NA] games to [EU] games...  (Read 4714 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Not to make the admins angry or something.

But it should stop to make a entry with the wrong picture. The example by Exonerator for the [EU] game has a [US] picture. In my eyes this sends a wrong message to new user who see this. I rather see no picture then the wrong one.

I get what you're saying and - it looks like you're right about the EU version having the NA picture.

That said...wouldn't it have taken you about the same amount of time (if not less) to simply edit it (by replacing the wrong pic w/ the correct one) than it took you to type up a post pointing out & complaining about it?

I'm just saying - there's definitely acceptable times & places for pointing out & addressing problems + mistakes -and- indeed, even for complaining about them...God knows - I couldn't say that I never do these things myself (not w/ a straight face, at least); and...not w/o being one of those people that I so despise, and for whom I have a 'special' brand of contempt for (aka hypocrites) -BUT- and this may just be a pet peeve all my own, but...

...didn't it just feel a little bit; not *right*, I guess - to take the time to notice the mistake, link to pages where you were, ya know...looking right at the mistake, come back to this topic to point out & complain about the mistake...and NOT to Correct it, instead of just leaving it there for someone else to fix?

IDK, is it just me that - if I find myself on a page w/ a mistake on it...would, w/o any need to think about it...just go ahead & fix it; and not really understand those who don't?

That said, i could, if i have the game, but i dont have it. Then again, wich [EU] version shall i put there? And i only use my own scans instead of stealing scans from the internet.

Why?

There's plenty of good images on company web sites, Amazon, G*Faqs, Moby games, etc...why not use em?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

fazerco

PRO Supporter

I didnt say you shouldnt use them.

Btw, mobygames you can report here http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1033.0.html

fazerco

PRO Supporter

But it should stop to make a entry with the wrong picture. The example by Exonerator for the [EU] game has a [US] picture. In my eyes this sends a wrong message to new user who see this. I rather see no picture then the wrong one.

I get what you're saying and - it looks like you're right about the EU version having the NA picture.

That said...wouldn't it have taken you about the same amount of time (if not less) to simply edit it (by replacing the wrong pic w/ the correct one) than it took you to type up a post pointing out & complaining about it?

I'm just saying - there's definitely acceptable times & places for pointing out & addressing problems + mistakes -and- indeed, even for complaining about them...God knows - I couldn't say that I never do these things myself (not w/ a straight face, at least); and...not w/o being one of those people that I so despise, and for whom I have a 'special' brand of contempt for (aka hypocrites) -BUT- and this may just be a pet peeve all my own, but...

...didn't it just feel a little bit; not *right*, I guess - to take the time to notice the mistake, link to pages where you were, ya know...looking right at the mistake, come back to this topic to point out & complain about the mistake...and NOT to Correct it, instead of just leaving it there for someone else to fix?

IDK, is it just me that - if I find myself on a page w/ a mistake on it...would, w/o any need to think about it...just go ahead & fix it; and not really understand those who don't?

That said, i could, if i have the game, but i dont have it. Then again, wich [EU] version shall i put there? And i only use my own scans instead of stealing scans from the internet.

Why?

There's plenty of good images on company web sites, Amazon, G*Faqs, Moby games, etc...why not use em?

Higlight the more importend part  ;)

argyle

Why?

That's what I was wondering, no need to reinvent the wheel when a quick search gives me a hi-res image w/o any watermarks. :) If that doesn't happen, then scan away!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

I know that.

I didn't ask you why I shouldn't use them; I asked why you don't/won't ;D

Oh, and I'll continue to decide what to highlight and what things I give and don't give "importance" to all on my own, thank you very much!

mmmmkay? ;)

Unwatermarked images are fair game and fair use. The only reason we don't use mobygames/etc ones are because they have their logo on it, which could lead to implications of using their logo, not the scans themselves. They shouldn't be putting watermarks on scans since it's not their work, but that's beyond us. And that's why we like to avoid them entirely.

I don't even know how many times I've said this over the years...

Also, if there are multiple EU versions of the game in question, yeah, feel free to add another one. But that's not what the topic at hand is. Sometimes a general EU version is used across the board, and that's something I seriously can't be arsed to look into. But what I will frankly not stand for is new users changing the regions of entries for chickenshit reasons. And that's what this thread is pretty much shedding light on, that new, shitty users are making these terrible edits, and I'm tired of it.

foxhack

You know what I do when someone submits an item and it doesn't have the correct region artwork, or something that's obviously fake, and I can't find a replacement? I use this.

And then I move on. We used to have a tool to delete artwork directly but it's been out of commission for a bit.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

I know that.

Oh, and I'll continue to decide what to highlight and what things I give and don't give "importance" to all on my own, thank you very much!

mmmmkay? ;)

And without scanners like me you cant 'borrow' the pictures  ;)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

I know that.

mmmmkay? ;)

And without scanners like me you cant 'borrow' the pictures  ;)

Is there a reason why you still haven't just answered the question of why you won't/don't do it?

Also, "borrowing" implies a sense of ownership + the ability to receive and return an item; still not seeing how that would apply here and/or what you'd be basing your 'ownership' of an image of something - made by + belonging to others on  8)

Ya know what, though?

None of it's *that* important to me, or worth any more of my time so...I'm going to simply & slowly step away from this topic  ;D

Like EXO said, "over and out"  ;)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

If you have to ask, you really dont know. But as mg uses visible watermarks, other sites dont. That means the image is still marked. If you look at some terms of use, you know what its about.

But enough said......over and out  :P

tpugmire

If anyone comes across a listing with any incorrect images, and if you can't/don't want to fix it, just make a post about it in this section. That's what it's for.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

karyann

You know what I do when someone submits an item and it doesn't have the correct region artwork, or something that's obviously fake, and I can't find a replacement? I use this.

And then I move on. We used to have a tool to delete artwork directly but it's been out of commission for a bit.

That's actually brilliant. Simple, and totally effective  :D

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Ive tryed that once, it got denied  ???.

foxhack

Ive tryed that once, it got denied  ???.

That's because it wasn't me who rejected your edit.

I found a couple of [NA] SNES games that had the European front box art listed: Equinox and Arkanoid: Doh it Again. I submitted my own scans of the American art but both were rejected.

I didn't mean to disregard any protocol. I wondered if anyone could help.