Author Topic: Your collection after you pass on?  (Read 2930 times)

spac316

Your collection after you pass on?
« on: November 16, 2014, 02:14:35 am »
What do you think would happen with your collection when you get to old and feeble to play and sooner or later the time comes and you pass on?
Would you give it to your Spouse or kids/grand kids as their inheritance? Just sell it all off before hand?

For me, I don't know, it's hard to say. I'm not married and not a father at the moment. I don't think I can be buried with all my games. I need a tomb for THAT! As do most of us here I'll bet, lol!
I'd be worried about grave robbers though...

This may not be something to worry about now I guess.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:28:41 am by spac316 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Your collection after you pass on?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 02:18:46 am »
By then a lot of the consoles we use will probably no longer work. Especially the disc-based ones.

But if it was still working, that's an easy answer: Give it to my wife so she can sell it and use the money.

I'd let her keep anything she wants. But she'd probably only keep the Sega Genesis and Sonic games, and the DS so she can play whack-a-mole on New Super Mario Bros. That's about as far as her gaming goes. And she has this strange obsession with trying to track down an flip-phone that has Snake on it. Has to be the LCD flip-phone version like she used to have.

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 02:22:09 am »
Personally, I would keep playing games until my deathbed since they're so much fun. If I were to die, I would entrust my brother with my collection as he understands the importance and maintaining a collection from personal experience. If he's not around, I'd entrust it to one of my friends who loves games, or give some of it to a cousin who wouldn't try to get rid of this stuff( by this time all of the family members that would have hated these games would be dead so I wouldn't have to worry about that). I feel that no matter what, a collection should be kept and maintained for future generations to use for good use, since once that stuff is gone, it could very well be irreplaceable. I still hope that people will be able to maintain and fix consoles and games to preserve them.

spac316

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:24:44 am »
Yeah, that's a possibility. I could just give it to whatever family I have by that time and they could do whatever they want with it. I'll bet the value of the games would go higher by then and I wouldn't blame them if they want to sell them.
Still, I don't know...

As for preservation, at least there's Emulation.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:31:22 am by spac316 »

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 02:39:45 am »
If there's not family to pass it on to that would want it, I'd probably just see about donating it somewhere.  Maybe we'll see more retro museums then that need some new additions in the next 40 to 50 years lol

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 03:56:11 am »
Assuming I live to be an old man someday, I plan to start gradually selling my collection off when I am around 60 or so. I will sell games that i've played over the years that I didn't care for one reason or another, or games I thought were just okay, holding onto the ones I do enjoy for as long as possible. I will use this money to supplement my income, and if I am lucky enough to be able to retire someday, I would like to enjoy the few greatest games I've ever played until my final days. We're talking about no more than 150 games or so by the time I pass away.

Assuming I die unexpectedly or prematurely, my collection will go to my significant other to do whatever they please with my collection.

I never plan on having kids so it will not go to any.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:59:47 am by bikingjahuty »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 08:56:32 am »
If I kick off soon, my wife and son can do whatever they want. My wife could use it as a selling point to attract a new husband.

If I'm old, I'll still just leave all of it to The Boy. He can keep it or sell it. By then, I doubt it will be worth much more than a novelty.

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 09:28:02 am »
My wife could use it as a selling point to attract a new husband.

LOL
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 10:08:46 am »
Honestly it just doesn't matter to me. I'll be dead so I don't care lol.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 11:07:24 am »
Doesn't matter to me, ill be dead...... Just don't sell it for cheap or give it away
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 02:35:09 pm »
My wife could use it as a selling point to attract a new husband.

LOL
Heheheh.

I would probably give up gaming/collecting at around 60 so...  Initially, I would give the games/systems that my brother doesn't have to him.  As for the rest, I'd probably check the Looking For/Help Me Find thread if anyone is interested with what I have.  Otherwise, I'd probably give the lot to Goodwill since I have no other gamer friends/family who have similar preferences that I do.  Maybe even list them on my Sell List or eBay.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »
If I kick off soon, my wife and son can do whatever they want. My wife could use it as a selling point to attract a new husband.

If I'm old, I'll still just leave all of it to The Boy. He can keep it or sell it. By then, I doubt it will be worth much more than a novelty.

Considering the time you spend with him on the retro games, I'm sure it'll be of great sentimental value to him when he's older.  All those youtube videos of you two spending time together - priceless memories!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

hexen

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 03:56:44 pm »
It depends how things go. I'd either give it all to my friend Byron or give it someone else I care about, who I'd let decide to keep or sell it.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 06:21:11 pm »
I would like to be buried as I lived.

Under boxes and boxes of unplayed games. :p And then people can organize a treasure hunt to dig up my corpse to get the games.

And when they find me, all they'll find is a note that says "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA SUCKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS"

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 06:25:23 pm »
Kids will get them. They walk around and eye them like sharks whenever I am rearranging them in the cabinet.

As for the disc-based systems not working after several years, it makes me want to buy backups of all of them. Probably do that in the next year. Especially since last gen is going to be weeded out completely pretty soon.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.