Author Topic: Got an Xbox Original, What now?  (Read 8072 times)

byron

Re: Got an Xbox Original, What now?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 09:59:00 pm »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 10:24:55 pm »
Another question to those not high in the audience.

I do not have an A/V cable yet for the system. Are there component cables and can someone point me in a direction of where I should be looking?

Not only are there... XBOX in HD is glorious to behold.

Most XBOX haters don't realize nearly every cross platform game released that hit xbox came out in higher resolution and faster framerate for the XBOX.

Burnout, Soul Calibur, etc, were all superior graphically on the xbox... If you played with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-XBox-High-Definition-AV-Pack/dp/B00005R6YZ

Most games were 480p but quite a few (DOA Ultimate and several others) were 720p. A few puzzle games were even 1080p. Lot of games (again burnout) feature Dolby Digital 5.1 surround support.

This is a very under-appreciated aspect of this console.

Also worth noting. If it's soft modded you could emulate games in 720p as well.

Update:

Ha! Missed your reply Byron! Good stuff!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:30:18 pm by dashv »

soera

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 02:52:17 am »
Ive heard of people modding an Xbox ... I have an original with one of those weird HD connectors that I never use. Maybe this would make the system worth using for me.

Is there a decent program set up for modding it? Im not very technical when it comes to stuff like that so would need some assistance!

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 06:29:56 am »
Another question to those not high in the audience.

I do not have an A/V cable yet for the system. Are there component cables and can someone point me in a direction of where I should be looking?

Yes there are component cables, Amazon and eBay.

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 10:39:43 am »
Ive heard of people modding an Xbox ... I have an original with one of those weird HD connectors that I never use. Maybe this would make the system worth using for me.

Is there a decent program set up for modding it? Im not very technical when it comes to stuff like that so would need some assistance!

You can upload files from the web that change the OS and firmware in the XBOX using an action replay and a copy of Splinter Cell. After doing this you can upload XBMC and dump movies, music, emulators, roms and other cool stuff on your XBOX. I've been putting it off, but I am going to turn one of my spare XBOX consoles into a mini-MAME doing this.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 10:41:51 am »

I'm still pretty big into the Xbox modding scene so if you or anyone needs some tips or a point at some good resources shoot me a PM.

Modded Xbox is god tier as an all in one emulation machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-EzhUsVXNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPVhp0TSOJw

Most Xbox hate is unfounded as it was a superior machine to the PS2 and GameCube in almost every way.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:52:24 am by pceslayer »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 12:01:27 pm »

I'm still pretty big into the Xbox modding scene so if you or anyone needs some tips or a point at some good resources shoot me a PM.

Most Xbox hate is unfounded as it was a superior machine to the PS2 and GameCube in almost every way.

It is really easy to mod an Xbox. However, it also greatly shortens the lifespan of your Xbox. It just struggles a lot more reading all those different disc-formats. You could CLEARLY hear the difference after modding mine, and now mine is starting to go out. So weigh the good with the bad before deciding to mod it.

soera

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 12:02:55 pm »

Im not as big a hater on the original Xbox as I am the 360/One. As I said, I do still have my original Xbox and I used to play Morrowind like crazy when it was current. I also still consider the Xbox Microcon one of the best controllers ever. Ill definitely hit you up on a good way to mod that thing. Since you mentioned the PS2 and the Cube, I think its probably one of the strongest generations ever. If the Dreamcast would have been a better system, it would have been the strongest period.

davifus

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »

You can upload files from the web that change the OS and firmware in the XBOX using an action replay and a copy of Splinter Cell. After doing this you can upload XBMC and dump movies, music, emulators, roms and other cool stuff on your XBOX. I've been putting it off, but I am going to turn one of my spare XBOX consoles into a mini-MAME doing this.

I soft modded my xbox like that. I still have the memory card  with the file. The most painful part of this mod was getting the file on the card. It wouldnt work unless the OS was xp.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 05:56:29 pm »

I soft modded my xbox like that. I still have the memory card  with the file. The most painful part of this mod was getting the file on the card. It wouldnt work unless the OS was xp.

Yep, I tried using the Gameshark with vista and the memory card USB socket drivers are not compatible with the OS :/. I hear it works in Windows 7 if you're running XP mode (which makes sense), but I could not get it to work on my machine using Vista. I need to upgrade to 7 anyways. Why the hell I still have a machine with Vista baffles me lol

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 10:50:14 pm »

It is really easy to mod an Xbox. However, it also greatly shortens the lifespan of your Xbox. It just struggles a lot more reading all those different disc-formats. You could CLEARLY hear the difference after modding mine, and now mine is starting to go out. So weigh the good with the bad before deciding to mod it.

My xbox has been running soft modded for 10 years now and is still running. And it was a certified (in box and everything) refurb when I bought it. Only thing I had to replace was the DVD drive but that was starting to flake out before the mod.

The biggest danger is during the installation process. As long as it takes there is no further danger whatsoever.

If you are talking about a mod-chip... yeah I never trust those. I don't like taking a soldering iron to hardware unless it's broken.

Also check out my sell list. I have so many soft modded xboxes now I've started naming them after Scott Pilgrim characters. So far I have enough to account for 6 of his seven evil ex'es. :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:53:45 pm by dashv »

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2014, 12:17:54 pm »
This thread inspired me again to try and get the Acton Replay to work on my laptop running Vista, and after trying many different things with drivers, firmware updates, registry changes, running in various comparability modes, and simply cannot get this thing to work with my system, specially the memory card port that plugs in via USB. Wish I had Windows 7 Ultimate, I could just run it in XP Mode. Or I can go out and grab a legacy system running XP. It just sucks :/

davifus

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2014, 01:06:12 pm »
This thread inspired me again to try and get the Acton Replay to work on my laptop running Vista, and after trying many different things with drivers, firmware updates, registry changes, running in various comparability modes, and simply cannot get this thing to work with my system, specially the memory card port that plugs in via USB. Wish I had Windows 7 Ultimate, I could just run it in XP Mode. Or I can go out and grab a legacy system running XP. It just sucks :/

win 7, vista, win 8 will not work. I dont even sure if you run it in XP mode.

XP is the only one.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 11:59:21 am »

Install VirtualBox and create an XP Virtual Machine. This is the easiest way to get compatibility.

psydswipe

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »
Maybe I missed it but it doesn't look like anyone mentioned Shenmue II  :D That's the one reason I got a Xbox when it released. It helps if you've played Shenmue though it does come with a recap video of the previous game. Of course, the story doesn't conclude and they'll probably never make the third part. I did start to prefer the Xbox over the PS2 for non-exclusives because it has a hard drive so save space was never an issue. Splinter Cell was another favorite of mine that wasn't exclusive but was on Xbox first which I know doesn't matter now, and it's probably easier to obtain digitally for PC.