Author Topic: amiibo  (Read 46928 times)

amiibo
« on: December 07, 2014, 12:52:17 pm »
so i read that the wii fit trainer, marth and the villager will no longer be made.
what are your thoughts on this?

i think this sucks.
anyone got a spare marth and villager as all the stores near me are sold out.

Re: amiibo
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 01:12:37 pm »
I see them every once in a while; I think I saw a Wii Fit Trainer while I was out and about yesterday. I'm sure some stores have back stock as well.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:14:29 pm »
I see them every once in a while; I think I saw a Wii Fit Trainer while I was out and about yesterday. I'm sure some stores have back stock as well.

i have the wii fit trainer. went searching every store in my town that might sell them. thats the only one i found. all stores are sold out online as well.
i just dont get nintendos thinking here. they have only been out a month.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 02:48:19 pm »
This first wave has taught me to think a bit differently about how Nintendo's approaching the amiibos. I think everyone expected them to treat it like a widespread toy release with a vast overestimated appeal. But while I think that may be the case for the recognizable figures, the Marios, Pikachus, Links, etc, any character that won't be recognized by children is likely not going to see a large release. It makes sense when thinking about people outside the collecting/hardcore fan group, and I'm wondering if Nintendo's going to adjust their numbers or keep making certain figures in low quantities just for the sake of having some be rare (which isn't too uncommon in the world of collectable figures).

Of course, this all could be a devious plot to inflate preorder numbers, since the tiny amount of Marth, WFT, and Villager amiibos is likely going to make collectors over paranoid. I'm willing to bet that preorders for the next wave are much higher than they were for the first. Who knows.

My policy is as follows: Any fire emblem, obscure, new, or retail exclusive character is going to be mandatory preorder, everything else can probably be left to a later time. I learned my lesson after that $27 Marth off of ebay, though even that's a steal compared to what it goes for now.

I feel like an 8 year old obsessed with Pokemon cards all over again. This is going to be the death of me.
Bayleef Forever.

abe

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 03:30:24 pm »
I really regret cancelling my preorder for Marth. I thought I'd just get one later without too much difficulty, but less than a week after their release they were impossible to find in stores. I've pretty much lost hope of getting one in-store now. :-\ It sure has convinced me to keep my preorders on the next wave. Mega Man and Ike are my two preorders, are there any other figurines y'all think could be rare from the next couple waves? I'm really hoping Nintendo releases Amiibos for the rest of the Fire Emblem characters in Smash and one for Ness. Some alternate costume versions of Amiibos would be nifty too.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 04:41:19 pm »

My policy is as follows: Any fire emblem, obscure, new, or retail exclusive character is going to be mandatory preorder, everything else can probably be left to a later time.

This is how I'm going about collecting these too. I already have Shulk at Gamestop, and will be preordering the other three retail exclusives Amiibos tho month. I'm currently missing Mario and Yoshi because I need to conserve some cash and these two will likely see a very large print run.

I feel like an 8 year old obsessed with Pokemon cards all over again. This is going to be the death of me.

LOL I could not have said it better myself :p

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »
We knew they were gonna discontinue figures, I just didn't realize they were gonna do it after the first batch they released lol  Basically for future ones, if they aren't popular characters and they don't have an active game out recently, they are likely to become rare.  From the second batch, I'd probably make sure to grab Little Mac, Pit, and perhaps Captain Falcon.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:57:16 pm »
Just to give you an idea. My Local Game stop is still trying to get a Marth Amiibo to cover my Preorder, so from the looks of it preordering might not be enough.

karyann

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 06:48:48 pm »
In Canada, Eb Games (Gamestop) didn't even seem to get any Marth at all. It's not even listed on their website...  :-\ Amazon.ca does have it though, so as already mentioned by a few folks, I'm going to be more careful with the next releases.

abe

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »
In Canada, Eb Games (Gamestop) didn't even seem to get any Marth at all. It's not even listed on their website...  :-\ Amazon.ca does have it though, so as already mentioned by a few folks, I'm going to be more careful with the next releases.

I saw one Marth Amiibo at an EB Games in Canada near me, but just one. Of course, I didn't buy it at the time because I thought it wouldn't be that hard to get another one later. :'( A lot of retailers don't even have Marth listed online now. Amazon.ca only has Marth through third-party resellers now from what I can tell.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:49:10 pm »
so much for supply and demand.
so instead of nintendo getting out money we have to pay way over the price to resellers.

soera

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 01:00:15 am »
I already have Shulk at Gamestop, and will be preordering the other three retail exclusives Amiibos

As far as I know, there are only 3 retail exclusives. Shulk is GS, Meta Knight is Best buy, and Lucino is Toys R Us. Did I miss one?

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 01:48:21 am »
I already have Shulk at Gamestop, and will be preordering the other three retail exclusives Amiibos

As far as I know, there are only 3 retail exclusives. Shulk is GS, Meta Knight is Best buy, and Lucino is Toys R Us. Did I miss one?

It's been suggested that Rosalina and Luma will be as well, since it's not coming up anywhere as an available preorder. Could be target but no one knows yet.
Bayleef Forever.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 02:47:16 am »
Nintendo is NOT discontinuing supply on any of the current Amiibos.

Source:

https://twitter.com/MKGLofficial/status/541758102857871361

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 03:59:59 am »
There still isn't anything super official either way on this, so it would be nice to see a proper response on their twitter perhaps.  Seems like Nintendo might've just seriously underestimated the demand for these things and other pieces of hardware like the Gamecube adapter.  I still think people should be wary of certain figures that aren't attached to currently active/popular series, and focus on those first before grabbing the more obviously popular ones, such as relating to Zelda or Mario.