Author Topic: Skylanders...What Is Going On Here?  (Read 3717 times)

argyle

Skylanders...What Is Going On Here?
« on: December 12, 2014, 09:26:26 am »
OK, first, I know Soera put most of these in the db so I don't want this to come across as an attack on him, just venting my frustrations/confusion and looking to get some input on the subject. We all have our quirks about how we like things, and mine are as bad as anyone's. :P

OK, I have 2 things to bring up about the Skylanders entries. First is for the "sets". Some of these are sold in sets that include a figure, an item that unlocks a new stage & 2 accessories. Here is an example:

http://vgcollect.com/item/24666

Now I'm *assuming* this entry is for the entire set, but because the main image is just for the part that unlocks the stage it's confusing. So my question here is, is this meant to represent the entire set? If so, I will make an edit to the description that says exactly what's in the set.

This leads to my 2nd question/issue, and kinda the overall problem I have - using the stock drawn artwork is very strange and seems counter to everything else in the db. Even the new Amiibo's are shown in their packaging. I know the stock artwork is easy to find, but it's also not very representative of the figures themselves. And sites like Amazon seem to have clean promo images of the characters in their packaging - for example, http://www.amazon.com/Skylanders-Giants-Character-no-operating-system/dp/B008OSDGV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418394278&sr=8-1&keywords=skylanders+trigger+happy

If you guys say it's just me I'll crawl back in my hole, but I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on this. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

Re: Skylanders...What Is Going On Here?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:48 pm »
I haven't looked at the Skylanders area until now, but I agree that the images should be the items in their packages (or even just the physical figure itself at least).

I tried to do the same for the Claptrap figures:

http://vgcollect.com/search/claptrap
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »
To answer your first question, it is for the stage unlock item. And its good that you bring up that item cause it will help explain how I see things/why I did it the way I did.

The empire of ice comes with Slam Bam, Empire of ice adventure figurine, Anvil rain and Sky iron shield. Each piece can be picked up used now without needing any of the other pieces in the set yet the picture of the item itself would be the whole set.

Some items (such as the volcanic vault or the original set of minis) never had packaging. The way it is now, everything is uniform.

soera

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 02:51:23 pm »
And now I see someone changed the Arkeyan Crossbow to the packaging. I dont want Camo or Grim creeper in the picture, we already have those. They should not be part of the "Arkeyan Crossbow" entry in the database.

Sigh, now I have to find another pic.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:54:32 pm by soera »

soera

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:19:50 pm »
(or even just the physical figure itself at least).

This is the only other way I would consider it. Kind of like the way the NES games are listed.

scott

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:23:00 pm »
I don't know anything about these things. Bit from a database perspective...

If it came as part of a bundle, it should be listed as a bundle and the user can note in there if they are missing a figure or only have one.

It doesn't matter if they can be bought separately used, since we are more interested in listing items how they were release, This is why we have variant listings. If it was release separate from the bundle, then it'd have a single release variant.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 03:24:39 pm »
Also. Retail packaging should always be used before any other image. The figure pictures should go in place of cart art.

argyle

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 09:08:44 pm »
I don't know anything about these things. Bit from a database perspective...

If it came as part of a bundle, it should be listed as a bundle and the user can note in there if they are missing a figure or only have one.

It doesn't matter if they can be bought separately used, since we are more interested in listing items how they were release, This is why we have variant listings. If it was release separate from the bundle, then it'd have a single release variant.

This is the way I see it.  It's like a CE for a game - you may find just part of it used, but you don't create a new entry because of that either.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 02:01:43 pm »
I don't always see eye to eye with other members so for me this is how I think it should be listed and pictured:

Empire of Ice - Adventure Pack - Skylanders Sypro Adventure: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81nwm3cYMBL._SL1500_.jpg
Slam Bam, Empire of Ice, Anvil Rain and Sky-Iron Shield should not each have their own entry. Just like we don't have a separate entries for manuals, boxes and carts. They all come under the same listing. For me unless it was sold individually at retail it shouldn't have a listing.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 02:27:15 pm »
I don't always see eye to eye with other members so for me this is how I think it should be listed and pictured:

Empire of Ice - Adventure Pack - Skylanders Sypro Adventure: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81nwm3cYMBL._SL1500_.jpg
Slam Bam, Empire of Ice, Anvil Rain and Sky-Iron Shield should not each have their own entry. Just like we don't have a separate entries for manuals, boxes and carts. They all come under the same listing. For me unless it was sold individually at retail it shouldn't have a listing.

I feel the same way, but some folks find these things loose and add them. It's a similar situation as with pack-in games... they weren't released on their own, yet we have listings for them. :|

soera

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 10:01:39 am »

The thing is Slam Bam does also come separately. Anvil rain and sky-iron shield do not have their own entry.

I apparently am going to be outnumbered on this so Ill just not add anymore listings but here is my final take : Uniformity. The only way to make these uniform in the system is the way I was doing it. Every single item in the game has one thing in common - its picture when it is scanned onto the portal. Thats the way Skylanders themself picture them on their website, not sure why its taboo here.

scott

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 02:11:53 pm »
The main thing is, we've always been about listing things with their retail packaging and any variations of the original release. It's been like this since day one, and one of the main points in our mission statement.

Of course in the case of the retail packaging missing, thanks to the game being old or the person adding the original listing to the database no having it CIB, then using a cart scan in place for the time being has always been OK. It's not an attack on how it's currently set up. But, if you're talking about uniformity, the rest of the site is set up with bundles as bundles and individuals as individuals.

For example, the Devil May Cry 5th Anniversary collection. I've seen a lot of these parted out in the wild, but that doesn't make them eligible for single entries in the database. They are a bundle of 3 games in PS2 cases with individual artwork, manuals and such, but they belong in the bundle. If someone has Devil May Cry 3 from the bundle, they should be adding the bundle to their collection and adding notes on what's missing. Rather than adding a individual variant entry.

soera

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 02:31:39 pm »
Ive given up on trying to explain my side of this. I will change them. :(

argyle

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 02:47:29 pm »
I hope there's no hard feelings, that wasn't my intention. :(

soera

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 02:54:26 pm »
Its fine ... just I want everyone to go look at the skylanders section when this is all said and done. Maybe then people will see my intentions.