Author Topic: Thumbnail Pic for Cartridge/Disc-only entries...  (Read 1500 times)

agwolf2097

Thumbnail Pic for Cartridge/Disc-only entries...
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:31:16 pm »
If someone only owns the cartridge or disc of a game (ie; not the box), then I feel like that should be the image thumbnail that we see in our/their collections as we browse, rather than always defaulting to the picture of a game's retail box.

It's deceptive to scroll through entries of my own collection and see box-art for some games that I've never had the luxury of owning beyond merely the physical game itself...  I'm nowhere near finished cataloging my collection, but at least a third of my games are cart/disc only, and the thumbnail should reflect that if all I've checked-off is the "Cart/Disc" box
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:38:54 pm by agwolf2097 »

Re: Thumbnail Pic for Cartridge/Disc-only entries...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 11:44:13 pm »
That's actually a pretty good idea!

davifus

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:25:31 am »
Sounds pleasing to the eyes I'm sure but in my opinion it's not highest of our priority.

Just Saiyan
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

agwolf2097

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 06:59:11 pm »
I realize it may not be the "highest priority," but I can't imagine it would be a terribly difficult change to implement.
I don't know exactly what the development "to-do" or workflow charts look like, but it could at least be pinned to a low-level/casual section.

If the site is trying to establish itself as an entity or presence above other gaming databases, I'd imagine it would behoove the creators to cater to these kinds of specific nuances, especially if it improves clarity and user experience.

are you... even part of the executive/development crew?  I mean, when you say
...our priority.
it suggests that you might have some kind of control over the situation... but I just see "Sr Member," not "Administrator" or "Site Staff" or anything like that.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 07:29:15 pm »
The priority is fixing all the bugs before adding more functionality.

Unfortunately our main coder is busy as hell with work so things are slow. :(

agwolf2097

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:53:23 pm »
nah, I understand.  One of the programs I use at work is a buggy mess, and the dev team has their plate full with everything that needs to be fixed before they can do anything that their clients want.

But, since the forum is "site feedback," that's the biggest suggestion I have for now :)

Thus far, I haven't encountered any bugs at least.  Cheers.

retroone

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 02:41:06 pm »
This is a great idea and I love it but I see some flaws. What about Steam games? Also that would mean finding someone that willing to update every single game to show their cartridge images or else it would show up as "No Art".

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 03:49:03 pm »
What about Steam games?

Steam items (and digital games in general) already get the header / digital cover art as box art. Nothing more is needed for those, though it does leave the back and cart art with "no art".