Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 513318 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #4380 on: December 23, 2020, 04:13:55 pm »
Also started abit into Dark Souls 3 and it feels so good to play after playing Dark Souls 2 lol So smooth, great visuals, I know it's only 4 years old, and I don't know if anything is running better due to my PS5, but it feels just great.  I've already beaten this one before, but I haven't played it since 2016, so it'll be fun to dive back into, see what I remember.

And I got Override 2 in the mail, it's an arena mech brawler, and it's alright so far.  It's a budget title, and it kinda feels like it, it also needs some patching as it its having some frame rate issues and I had a weird crash, that wasn't a crash, so hopefully that's fixed soon.  Having Ultraman in this is neat too.  I'm playing as Metageckon mostly right now because he's the most Godzilla-like robot lol

« Reply #4381 on: January 12, 2021, 09:25:59 am »
I'm actually alternating between two titles right now, which isn't something I normally do.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.  It's big, gorgeous, and fun to play.  However, it's probably a bit too big?  That might just be me speaking as someone who plays a couple of dozens of games in a year and does not want to spend months playing the same title.  The dynamic difficulty at least keeps me from accidentally overleveling and trivializing the whole game.  I'm gonna finish out the story, but this is something I wouldn't even consider trying to Plat.

And when I'm not playing AC, it's because the GF is using the PS4 to play Horizon: Zero Dawn, so I have started the OG Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light on my Switch.  I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.  All the building blocks of the current games are here.  I am using a walkthrough to help with recruitment, as there isn't a lot of guidance in that area.  If you like the new games, but never got a chance to try this one out I recommend it.

tripredacus

« Reply #4382 on: January 12, 2021, 12:19:55 pm »
Started Alien: Isolation. For whatever reason, I figured there would be more freedom involved in it than there actually is. It looks nice, but it is not so much a game but more like an interactive movie. Everything in the game is based on cutscene and event triggers. And again, it is the type of game where you have to play it the way the developers intend, and there is little wiggle room for being creative.

There is one section where you have to deal with 4 humans that have guns, while you have no guns. What you are supposed to do is use the air system/fog to hide you while you sneak around them. You can tell that you are NOT supposed to attempt to take them on yourself, because the gun damage is so high. This isn't the first time you are shot at, earlier in the game you have to turn off a generator and those humans have guns too, but the damage they do is very low in comparison. Well I took these guys on the only way I know. Kiting them into a killbox and waiting next to doors for them to walk through.

I guess I'm not getting that achievement for not killing any humans.

This interaction exemplifies the issue with it being an interactive movie, where most actions in the game are actually cinematics or mini-cutscenes. The same situation I has in Metro 2033 Redux is here, but worse do to the UI and controls. Choosing to heal plays a cutscene. It cannot be interrupted. You cannot quickly switch between items and weapons (if you even have one) because of the radial UI, length of animation time and the delay periods after the animations are played for actions. Any time you use melee, you unequip the inventory item you are holding.

Also, you can't jump and there are invisible walls everywhere.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4383 on: January 12, 2021, 12:34:54 pm »
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on Switch. Pretty much the exact same game, but with updated graphics and new a style to the music (but still the same tunes). That's not to say it's a bad game, still a great Zelda entry. Just was expecting a little more added to it.

« Reply #4384 on: January 12, 2021, 12:46:26 pm »
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on Switch. Pretty much the exact same game, but with updated graphics and new a style to the music (but still the same tunes). That's not to say it's a bad game, still a great Zelda entry. Just was expecting a little more added to it.
IIRC it added a dungeon builder, that's about it.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4385 on: January 12, 2021, 05:00:06 pm »
Just finished Devil's Third on the WiiU :)
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #4386 on: January 15, 2021, 01:37:20 am »
I've become pretty obsessed with Rust for the past week or two now.  I found a PVE/No Raid server, that lets me do all the building and exploring I want without worry about dying from people ganking me, and I have spent so many hours gathering supplies, building cool looking bases, figuring out the electrical system mechanics, I just started into figuring out the plumbing and farming mechanics.  I highly recommend this for people starting out, as it lets you learn the ropes of everything as the game is pretty unforgiving otherwise.  With my farm setup and needing material to start it, I plan to focus on getting the minicopter next and hope I don't kill myself instantly while trying to learn how to fly it lol

« Reply #4387 on: January 19, 2021, 10:32:12 am »
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.  It's big, gorgeous, and fun to play.  However, it's probably a bit too big?  That might just be me speaking as someone who plays a couple of dozens of games in a year and does not want to spend months playing the same title.  The dynamic difficulty at least keeps me from accidentally overleveling and trivializing the whole game.  I'm gonna finish out the story, but this is something I wouldn't even consider trying to Plat.

Still playing it.  Have no idea how much progress I've actually made.  I think I'm getting near the end?  There's definitely too much game here.  None of it is bad, but it's not outstanding enough to warrant the playtime.

tripredacus

« Reply #4388 on: January 26, 2021, 12:01:53 pm »
Started playing Borderlands The Pre-Sequel for the 52 games challenge.

I died like 20 times trying to jump that gap to Concordia.  :-\

« Reply #4389 on: January 26, 2021, 12:06:43 pm »
Started playing Borderlands The Pre-Sequel for the 52 games challenge.

I died like 20 times trying to jump that gap to Concordia.  :-\

Pre-Sequel felt very off to me.  Controls, difficulty, all of it.  The story and characters were great, but I definitely had several sections like that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4390 on: January 26, 2021, 12:26:19 pm »
Started playing Cyber Shadow from Yacht Games last night. (Same developer that made the amazing Shovel Knight.)

Holy crap is this hard!

« Reply #4391 on: January 26, 2021, 12:32:37 pm »
Started Sonic 06 last night.  That is all.  Think of me.

« Reply #4392 on: January 26, 2021, 12:46:30 pm »
Started playing Cyber Shadow from Yacht Games last night. (Same developer that made the amazing Shovel Knight.)

Holy crap is this hard!

Yacht Club is actually just the publisher. It was developed by Mechanical Head Studios.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4393 on: January 26, 2021, 01:30:38 pm »

Holy crap is this hard!

Yacht Club is actually just the publisher. It was developed by Mechanical Head Studios.

Ok

« Reply #4394 on: January 26, 2021, 01:32:37 pm »

Holy crap is this hard!

Ok

I only mention it because my excitement level actually dropped a bit when I realized Yacht Club wasn't making it themselves (I cannot wait for whatever their follow up to Shovel Knight eventually is), but it still looks super cool.