Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 512258 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #4395 on: January 26, 2021, 01:55:39 pm »
Started playing Cyber Shadow from Yacht Games last night. (Same developer that made the amazing Shovel Knight.)

Holy crap is this hard!

Yacht Club is actually just the publisher. It was developed by Mechanical Head Studios.
Ok

I only mention it because my excitement level actually dropped a bit when I realized Yacht Club wasn't making it themselves (I cannot wait for whatever their follow up to Shovel Knight eventually is), but it still looks super cool.

I was excited for same reason. But I'm only on the 3rd level and it's kicking my ass. And the 2nd took some tries to get through.

I'm glad it's on Game Pass to try out, don't think I'll be paying full price for such frustration.

tripredacus

« Reply #4396 on: January 27, 2021, 12:45:15 pm »
Started playing Borderlands The Pre-Sequel for the 52 games challenge.

I died like 20 times trying to jump that gap to Concordia.  :-\

Pre-Sequel felt very off to me.  Controls, difficulty, all of it.  The story and characters were great, but I definitely had several sections like that.

Yes the vehicle controls have some problems. On the regular vehicle, the boost does not work like it did in BL2. On the hover vehicle, the game does not make any sort of mention that the boost is replaced by a jumpjet type mechanic. Also, both of these vehicles operate using helicopter physics instead of airplane physics. And then, after you get each vehicle, there is a part of the game where you have to do a jump using said vehicle to advance. And these are to areas for the main story, so if you can't figure it out then you can't play the game. I bet these mechanics has a lot to do with the severe drop off in global achievement stats for character level and story progress.

The combat itself is not too strange to me, but it may be because I've played BL3 before this. So the low gravity and shooting thing is not foreign to me. Neither is the shooting from the air, since BL3 has many weapon bonuses for airborn kills/crits. And so far, unlike BL3, the go-to for me seems to be the same as in BL2, which is to use high accuracy snipers nearly 100% of the time.

« Reply #4397 on: January 29, 2021, 07:04:51 pm »
I’m on Horizon 4 every time there’s a new season. Playing Mary Skelter on the Vita currently

« Reply #4398 on: February 10, 2021, 02:28:47 pm »
I've started playing and streaming Minecraft.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  I love it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4399 on: February 10, 2021, 04:21:01 pm »
Finished King's Field II (U.S.) again. Absolutely love this series and this was the best entry, as far as I'm concerned. Went back to KF I (U.S.). It's a bit harder.

PaleManInBlack

« Reply #4400 on: February 11, 2021, 06:59:08 am »
Started playing through Resident Evil HD as the start of a marathon before 8 is released.

kashell

« Reply #4401 on: February 11, 2021, 07:25:42 am »
I'm finally getting around to The Banner Saga. It's pretty terrible. It's like I'm playing The Oregon Trail (a game I never cared for in the first place) except with a Viking era setting and no dysentery. Other than the story, I can't find anything redeeming about it. I won't replay it to see other choices, and I sure as Hell won't be playing the second and third games if they're like this.

« Reply #4402 on: February 11, 2021, 09:02:34 am »
I'm finally getting around to The Banner Saga. It's pretty terrible. It's like I'm playing The Oregon Trail (a game I never cared for in the first place) except with a Viking era setting and no dysentery. Other than the story, I can't find anything redeeming about it. I won't replay it to see other choices, and I sure as Hell won't be playing the second and third games if they're like this.

I played the first game a couple of years ago and I was definitely disappointed.  I thought it was shockingly easy.  I didn't hate it but it was such a let down based on what I heard.

tripredacus

« Reply #4403 on: February 11, 2021, 10:32:28 am »
In Pool of Radiance, you can create a male or female character and freely mix the head and torsos. So if you want to make a male character and use the bearded head with the large chested female torso, you can. Or a character with the female head but the hairy chest male torso.

In Eye of the Beholder you only get to choose heads, but again you can use any head with any gender. So you can use the male head on the female character and vice versa.

In Eye of the Beholder II, it uses the same character creation process as the first game. They also flagged heads to gender so you see different head options if you choose male or female and cannot use (or even see) the opposite gender heads.

kashell

« Reply #4404 on: February 11, 2021, 11:37:19 am »

I played the first game a couple of years ago and I was definitely disappointed.  I thought it was shockingly easy.  I didn't hate it but it was such a let down based on what I heard.
Balance was another issue. It was either stupid easy or ridiculously difficult.

I finished it after my last post. It's been a long time since I felt so happy to see video games credit roll.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4405 on: February 11, 2021, 12:06:00 pm »

Oregon Trail day was the best day in school! On the old Apple II. I beat it once without dysentery, got a fun little song for beating it.

« Reply #4406 on: February 16, 2021, 07:02:46 am »
I finally managed to drag myself away from Rust for abit, something I've been super addicted to for like 2 months and am actually playing other games!

First is I dabbled with some Crash Bandicoot 4, picked it up on a sale at the end of last year and it's nice so far.  Very classic feeling, but with some new stuff to make it more interesting and can still be just as challenging as the original in regards to fully beating levels.  Gonna play this one real casually, but it's good.  It's a nice change of pace playing a Platformer.

And for something very different from Rust, the multiplayer online survival game...I'm playing Valheim, the singleplayer/co-op survival game lol It just recently came out in Early Access, but so far, this doesn't look like the usual EA slop, I had sorta stopped getting involved in those types of games at one point, but it was getting rave reviews and it might even have an ending at the moment.  I might be wrong on that, I was trying to find out if this game had an "ending" and there is talk of a final boss, or maybe just the final boss currently, so I'm kinda wondering if they figured out the basic beats of the story, got that general content done, and the talk they have of adding new content like new biomes, enemies, and bosses, etc, is filling out the experience in the middle till they hit a released status, which would be an interesting way of handling this.

Visually it's a fun throwback to 90's 3D visuals, with polygonal characters and pixelated textures, but it works real well, it never feels cheap, the game actually can look really good at times, and it probably lets them keep the game playing incredibly smooth which is nice, though some stuff comes across very simple, like the combat.  Building is pretty solid, it's just deep enough that people can build a variety of things within that general Viking design aesthetic, so I do look forward to unlocking stuff and seeing what I can add to my little encampment as I saw that you can build up to like stone castle stuff which will be cool when I get there as I'm pretty far off from that.

It seems slow and basic at first, but after a couple hours of sorta learning the basics, it starts to come together and you want to really start getting invested in the survival grind of farming items so you can do upgrades or hopefully unlock new items to craft or build, and then you are leveling up as you play, and you feel like you can take on some of the more intimidating enemies like the Troll, and that's just great when you finally take that down.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4407 on: February 16, 2021, 11:49:49 am »
Beat the first King's Field (U.S.) for PS1 again. Definitely a bit rougher than the 2nd game. But just as fun and nostalgic for me.

Now onto King's Field: The Ancient City for PS2.

« Reply #4408 on: February 28, 2021, 03:13:22 am »
I'm so disappointed, I picked up that Capcom arcade compilation because I was like, "Yeah, I can't wait to play 1943, I loved that game back when it was in an arcade at Pizza Hut as a kid", but then I was going through the 194x games and realize, "Wait, these aren't the games I remember".  Turns out I've remembered wrong for too long, and the game I was thinking of was Strikers 1945 lol Oh well, there's still stuff I'll play, but I was so disappointed to find this out lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4409 on: February 28, 2021, 11:39:14 am »
I'm so disappointed, I picked up that Capcom arcade compilation because I was like, "Yeah, I can't wait to play 1943, I loved that game back when it was in an arcade at Pizza Hut as a kid", but then I was going through the 194x games and realize, "Wait, these aren't the games I remember".  Turns out I've remembered wrong for too long, and the game I was thinking of was Strikers 1945 lol Oh well, there's still stuff I'll play, but I was so disappointed to find this out lol

Good shoot-em up. It's on PS1, I own it. Not sure how well it compares to the arcade, but it is fun.