Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515259 times)

rayne315

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #2415 on: February 18, 2016, 12:15:19 am »
I am currently playing Yoshi's new island for the 3ds and I have to say I am completely underwhelmed by this entry. it feels like it deserves to be an early DS title. and this is coming from a fan of Yoshi in general. graphically it is extreamly pixelated, even beyond what you would normally see for a ds title. and the artistic style actually suffers from it. it seams like they couldn't even be bothered to use their own music to fill the game (rougher/worse musicaly modified from the original yoshis island) no animations between level select screens. which is more or less a staple of all Mario titles I can think of (your character instantly appears at the level you select). you jump WAY to high, the entire screen up then hover higher, egg speed is way to high (patient is the speed I would expect from hasty), of what little boss battles I have played its way to easy literally for the first world boss yu can sit in the same spot and not get hit while you kill him with 6 eggs total, which is your max egg count which feels too small (8 seems about right). I noticed a bit of stuttering with animations (not to often but enough to notice).

Again I am a major fan of Yoshi so I will play through this but it is definitely not up to my expectations especially for a first party title. just sort of feels like a title more or less thrown together.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

telly

« Reply #2416 on: February 18, 2016, 02:57:21 pm »
Tried to get back into The Last of Us Remastered on the PS4, but just couldn't get into it.

Other than that, I've been playing the PSOne Classics version of Breath of Fire IV on my PS3. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Makes me want to get into playing more PS1 games.

I've played a little of BoF IV, and I really enjoyed what I did play. I'm interested what you think as you play it more! :)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #2417 on: February 18, 2016, 03:41:50 pm »
Tried to get back into The Last of Us Remastered on the PS4, but just couldn't get into it.

Other than that, I've been playing the PSOne Classics version of Breath of Fire IV on my PS3. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Makes me want to get into playing more PS1 games.

I've played a little of BoF IV, and I really enjoyed what I did play. I'm interested what you think as you play it more! :)

Yes, post some impressions of it. It wasn't my favorite game in the series, but it still did some really great stuff for it. And that music is just...so damn good.

abe

« Reply #2418 on: February 19, 2016, 07:36:01 am »
Put another couple hours into Breath of Fire IV and it's pretty great. The graphics are pretty good for the time, with lots of nice and detailed character animations. The music is pretty great too. I like how the front and back lines are handled in your party. It's nice that swapping out characters doesn't waste a turn, and it's also nice that characters in the back can also temporarily regain AP for use in that battle. The minigames aren't annoying (not yet at least), and are actually kinda nice to break things up every now and again. The enemy encounter rate isn't too high, nor is it too low as I haven't needed to level grind at all yet. Because of this, the game keeps good pace which also helps keep me interested in playing more.
My only complaints are that the controls for moving your characters around feel a little stiff and are a kinda annoying. Because you need to press two buttons to move diagonally through the isometric view outside of battle, I often find myself walking into walls instead of through doors or up ladders like I intended to. It would've been nice if it only took one button to move diagonally, like your cursor in Disgaea, where down on the directional pad moves your cursor down and to the right. The isometric view also causes some problems, where you need to adjust your view often to see around obstacles. That's more of an annoyance than anything.
The good more than outweighs the annoying, and my minor complaints aren't going to stop me from enjoying the game.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #2419 on: February 19, 2016, 08:33:10 am »
The enemy encounter rate isn't too high, nor is it too low as I haven't needed to level grind at all yet. Because of this, the game keeps good pace which also helps keep me interested in playing more.

This is how it remains until the end game when some enemies get a big increase in difficulty. Luckily, the final areas provide great places for experience -AND- some wonderful weapon and armor drops. This makes the level building totally worth it.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

abe

« Reply #2420 on: February 19, 2016, 10:13:33 am »
The enemy encounter rate isn't too high, nor is it too low as I haven't needed to level grind at all yet. Because of this, the game keeps good pace which also helps keep me interested in playing more.

This is how it remains until the end game when some enemies get a big increase in difficulty. Luckily, the final areas provide great places for experience -AND- some wonderful weapon and armor drops. This makes the level building totally worth it.

Thanks for the info. :) I tried earlier to see if you had written a review on it to see what you thought of it, but I couldn't find one. :( It's good to know that it's not going to get grindy until the endgame.

kashell

« Reply #2421 on: February 19, 2016, 10:17:15 am »

Thanks for the info. :) I tried earlier to see if you had written a review on it to see what you thought of it, but I couldn't find one. :( It's good to know that it's not going to get grindy until the endgame.

Odd, I wrote one.

I would share the link, but I'm at work. If someone can help a brother out, that would be swell. XD

abe

« Reply #2422 on: February 19, 2016, 10:38:11 am »

Odd, I wrote one.

I would share the link, but I'm at work. If someone can help a brother out, that would be swell. XD

Oops, found it. :P I guess I didn't look hard enough last time. ??? Ctrl+F failed me the first time, somehow. :'(

http://www.gamefaqs.com/PS/196818-breath-of-fire-iv/reviews/140615

kashell

« Reply #2423 on: February 19, 2016, 11:05:23 am »
I'm guessing that's the one. Thanks for reading. ^.^

abe

« Reply #2424 on: February 20, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »
Playing Fire Emblem Fates now. It's awesome. ;D Decided to go with Conquest for my first playthrough.

« Reply #2425 on: February 26, 2016, 03:14:42 am »
Tried playing Resident Evil HD in the Origins Collection.  I liked the update, generally it looks alright, though abit blurry at times like in the cinematics, and the new controls are way helpful...but I still don't like it.  It's so clunky still.  I hate aiming at things off screen because of set camera angles.  I don't like the small inventory where a key and arrowhead take as much space as a large shield and shotgun, forcing me to go back and forth between storage.  Combat in particular is more frustrating than anything.  I could never get into the games that much before years ago and even with the update, I just can't see myself getting into them now.  Bit disappointing lol

madmax

« Reply #2426 on: February 26, 2016, 06:13:50 am »
Playing through Tomb Raider before I get the new one. Great game, I got it for really cheap as well. I'm also trying to get the multiplayer achievements but that's a little more difficult with the servers being so dead.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2427 on: February 28, 2016, 09:31:01 pm »
I have all these new games that I haven't finished and I'm back playing an oldie but a goody. 

I hooked up the Xbox 360 to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.  Damn, this is fun.  I've been reading through the Civil War comics and this game takes place in that world.  It's good stuff.

kashell

« Reply #2428 on: February 29, 2016, 08:43:39 am »
dark is going to scowl at me, but I still haven't popped in Tears to Tiara 2 just yet. While I continue to make my way through Project X Zone 2, I started Folklore for the PlayStation 3. My brother lent it to me, so I want to play it and get it back to him. XD

« Reply #2429 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:28 am »
I fell back into Fallout 4.  Hopefully I'll lose my interest before the DLC comes out.